1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I too obsessed about wanting a boyfriend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justinishere, Aug 3, 2009.

1. justinishere

It's great how Taylor Swift make the world a better place! :slight_smile: I love her and her songs are meant for gay guys who want a dreamy guy or a guy that has had his heartbroken... I can see where you are going though with Love Story :lol:

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t think there is anything wrong with wanting to have someone to share your life with, but you need to be careful that you’re not looking for a good feeling “fix”. What I mean by that is: When we feel down on ourselves we want to feel better, and people go about this different, and sometimes destructive ways. Don’t think that having a boyfriend will someone fix all your problems, and be sure you get into a relationship because YOU want to be in one, and not because you want them to like you with you.
    I've fallen into that trap many-a-time

3. justinishere

I completely understand where you are coming from. (*hug*)

4. Davey

A good friend once told me you just have to sit back and let it come to you. Trust me it will come out of nowhere. I was friends with my boyfriend for four years and never really realized we were both gay. After that we tried dating and we get along great.

Just don't worry about it. It will happen when it needs to.

I promise.

:grin:

5. shorty

What he said ^^
    I have those feelings from time to time. Having it now actually. But i'm not totally sure what I want due to just really coming to terms with wanting to live my life out of the closet.

6. -Michael-

I'll tell you that coming out will be a big start in finding someone

¬_¬

Obviously

7. justinishere

Gee thanks like I don't know that one yet... :confused:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Gee thanks like I don't know that one yet...

Sarcasm aside, I'll reassert it.

Actions have consequences. Positive and negative. You realize that coming out might well have some seriously negative repercussions. But it might have some positive ones - to wit, you might get a boyfriend. I'm not trying to push you in either direction, but it seems you have two options:

* Stay in the closet, where it's probably safer, and bide your time until you get to college.
    * Come out, deal with the grief that might come your way, and see about getting a boyfriend.

Both options have sucky things attached to them. To which I can only say "Welcome to life." :slight_smile:

Lex

9. justinishere

It's not that I don't want to come out its just the severe consequences that I know will come with it. My parents especially do not like gay and lesbian people at all. There are a couple of cousins, who I barely know, that are gay and lesbian and they just hate them. They don't talk to them, or communicate with them except the polite "hello" but even that is forced. Is it worth ruining my family life in order for me to find someone that might not be there after all the family mess?

10. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    get a hobby, one involving many people if possible. being social nets you the hooks in people and then you can tug on the ones that tug on you. (oh god... I used a fishing reference... I've gotta stop now)

11. dude99

dude99 Guest

yes you have other issues besides wanting a bf. First I advise you in comming out as in your profile you are out to no one.

12. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well if you want to come out I advise you in comming out to the people you believe is the most accepting first.

13. justinishere

I do have hobbies :slight_smile: It just that none of the people I am around in my hobbies are people who I would want to be friends with. I am not trying to sound judgemental about people, but I have gotten to know them and all they really care about are the materialistic things in life. There are better things in life than the material things that people have, and well a lot of them are mean jerks... sorry to put it that way but its kind of true :confused

What if I have nobody in my life right now that I know will accept me? I know that everyone will be against it. They either hate gays or are very religious and send me somewhere else :tears: Or just drop me on the streets :tears:

14. dude99

dude99 Guest

well perhaps you could join some gay and lesbian youth group close to your area. Or do what I did recently and turn up to a PFLAG meeting. I know where you are as when I was your age I felt everyone would be against it.

15. justinishere

^^^ I've been looking around the internet and haven't found any around my area :frowning2: Is there a certain website that has that information?

16. DallasJordan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I moved to California, I lived in good 'ol South Dakota. Population: All homophobic rednecks. (No offense)

I felt the same way. There wasn't someone to comfort me. There wasn't a shoulder. There wasn't someone to complete me. There wasn't someone that I could connect to on a mental, or phsyical level.

I moved to Cali.
    I got the experiences I wasn't looking for.
    People took advantage of me, I got hurt.
    Just because I didn't set proper standards or set morals for myself.

My theory is...
    In life, only you can make yourself truly happy. After all, it is you that chooses who you want to be with, if not being with someone at all. When you get too eager like I did, you'll find yourself lunging into the wrong arms. You'll get hurt when you look too hard.

A heart can get broken only so many times.
    I advise you to be more wise to whom you lend yours to.
    You may think being hurt will make you happy being single.
    But the truth is, the pain will remain there.
    Bad experiences may lead you to change the way you feel about relationships.
    Don't be that eager to run into something like that.

I believe the best way to get a relationship is to not look.
    You'll least expect it when it happens, and it'll be so worth the while.

Take it easy, Justin

17. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well perhaps you can phone gay and lesbian counselling service. Even if there is no local gay and lesbian phone counselling service in your area you can call one in your state and they may provide information regarding support groups for gays in your area.

18. shorty

How did that go? Sorry to derail the thread, but i'm thinking of doing the same and just wondering what the hell goes on, and how it all halps.

PS: dude, let us know how your outing with your brother went! (*hug*)

19. justinishere

Thank you Jordan. Sorry you got hurt out here in California. (*hug*) I think I will take your advice from now on and just stop looking for a relationship. It's just too hard on me to keep going at the rate that I am going. No matter how much I want that perfect boyfriend for me I guess it will have to wait.... Great advice by the way! :eusa_clap