1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only person who is annoyed at how small their dating pool is?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by a cow gorl, May 16, 2020.

1. a cow gorl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always find myself wondering about who I could date and the number is always at 0. The only reason I would want to be straight is the fact of how big their dating pool is! I ponder and think what it would be like in high school and its also 0. It doesn't help that I live in the south, and like 0.01% of the population's gay. I don't want to date anyone right now, since I'm 13 and that shouldn't be a priority, but in high school though I plan to have a girlfriend, and I plan on coming out then too.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'd be surprised how many of your classmates are gay and just haven't admitted it to themselves or others yet. I lived in an off the charts level of conservative, middle of nowhere, town in West Texas for a bit when I was a kid. The thought of gay people even existing anywhere in that city didn't seem possible to me at the time, yet now about a decade later I've heard from the people who still live there that about 10% of our class ended up eventually coming out as gay, bisexual etc. (most of them after they had left that place) myself included I suppose.

I also lived in multiple tiny middle of nowhere conservative towns in Ohio, and once again, I've now found out years later that quite a few of the people I used to know ended up being gay/bi after they left.

The people to date exist, the hard part is finding them and getting them to be open enough about it to ask them out. The older you get the more of them will come out, and the dating pool will expand.

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to get really upset thinking about how few people are interested in dating me. Over time I have realized that the people who aren't accepting aren't worth getting upset about. People who won't treat you respectfully would be miserable to date. It's better to be single than in a toxic relationship.

4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm with you, it's not exactly easy for straight people but considering that us LGBT people have significantly less options, it is really frustrating. Even if there are a certain number of LGBT around you, who's to say that they would be the right fit?

To be honest though, very few people are out at 13 so don't get worked up about it. As @Destin said many will come out later, whether that be at 16, 18 or even into adulthood. There are other LGBT people around you, they just aren't out yet. Give it time. I didn't even know my sexuality until I was 15. The percentage of gays in the population is definitely more than 0.01% regardless of the area.

#4 Joe2001, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. During my entire time in highschool, there were only 4 people who came out. Lots of people came out while I was in university, a several of them I went to highschool with.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've gotten used to it

7. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay people are everywhere, you are 13 and it's normal for most people to not be out then, but trust me, I have lived and travelled all over the planet and from major cities to the smallest towns, I have always, always bumped and known queer people. Depending on where you live, it is possible that your dating pool will be smaller than some, but technically your dating pool is only as small as you allow it to be. Nothing (once you are an adult and have the financial means) can stop you to save money and move to a major city with a thriving gay scene.