1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i the only person on this site that hates lady gaga's music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by needshelp, Sep 26, 2011.

1. needshelp

she can't sing for shit and her music is terrible. to compare her to madonna is just wrong. i'm not a madonna fan either but she does have some songs that i like. madonna isn't that good of a singer but i can respect her music as well as her artistry unlike lady gaga which seems to just do whatever just to get her name out there.

i also feel her trying to be the voice of the lgbtq community is not geniune as she tries to make it out to be and that she does it only to give herself credibility as an artist. she's just using us.

#1 needshelp, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Connor22

I don't mind her but fair enough, like I'll listen to some of her songs but not like religiously, I'm guessing you like songs on the more heavy side? (please say yes please say yes please say yes)

3. maverick

I'm not a huge fan of her, but I don't turn her off when she comes up on the radio or anything. You're as likely to catch me bopping to her as anyone else I guess.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvib07TvJ1w[/YOUTUBE]

^ I respect anyone who can sing acapella like this. She might not be the best singer out there (her timbre is not my favorite) but I know she can sing a hell of a lot better than I can, and I have to give her props for that. I could practice the rest of my life and never come close.

I also respect her for what she does for the LGBT community, and I don't really care what her motives are. If she can convince nearly an entire generation of young people to stop hating, torturing, and condemning their queer peers, then she can do it for attention or she can do it for virtue, it makes no difference to me.

4. RedKnight

Hi, welcome to the club

5. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To say nothing of whether I like her, I'd like to mention that a common practice routine for classically trained singers is to sing acapella. Actually, I (a piano student) am doing that for ear training.

6. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    QUICK! EVERYBODY DUCK BEFORE THE FLAME WAR BEGINS!

(As for my person opinion, I think I heard a few of her songs like a year ago or something? I was not impressed. It's just nothing at all like the music I like. I took no further action in recognizing her existence. I neither like nor hate her, both would require too much energy)

7. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't stand her as a person, but I really do like most of her music.

8. needshelp

i couldn't get through the acapella. to me, that's proof she can't sing. some people may have the ability to make music, to know the notes, may have good ears but it doesn't mean that they can sing. i think some people should know their limits and she should be one of them. her voice is really irritating and unbearable to listen to. i know i would go insane if i were to spend more than an hour straight listening to her music. it sounds that bad to me.

seriously speaking, if lady gaga could get a singing deal as well as many others for their "singing talent", maybe i should try myself.

my thing is with her trying to be a voice for the lgbtq thing is she makes it seem like a gimmick like all the rest of the things she's done. i do feel it's a good thing that she's standing up for us because she's a music artist with power but at the same time, i question if this is just another one of her shock value antics that she's doing for attention. she's very notorious for that.

#8 needshelp, Sep 26, 2011
  9. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty indifferent. Her second album is complete trite, but I do like a few of her past songs.

10. maverick

Sounds like a personal preference. Tons of people love the way her voice sounds. Personally, I'm indifferent. I've heard better and worse.

Can you sing? It's easy to knock it 'til you try it. If it was as easy as carrying pitch in the shower, everybody would be doing it.

^ I'll admit, I used to feel this way about Gaga, but the more I listen to her interviews and hear her commentary on the LGBT movement, the more I feel that she is being sincere and not using it as a gimmick. Granted, she is tapping into a really underutilized demographic that is politically hot right now (who doesn't want the brand loyalty of 10% of the population based on a political stance you would have held anyway?)

But I think Gaga is just like many others of her generation in that gay rights is simply the new Civil Rights Movement, and celebrities like her (particularly those with a theatrical bent anyway) have always been big on the cause du jour, not only because it improves their celebrity and gains them a new fanbase, but because many of them are simply liberal to begin with and believe what they say.

When provocation is the name of the game, anything that is going to piss off traditionalists, conservatives, and religious fundamentalists are fair mark to performers.

11. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that there's no doubt ... or, anyhow, there shouldn't be any doubt about her commitment to activism.

12. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i will say her music vids are trippy and i only like one song from her.

13. seeksanctuary

If you can do better, go right ahead. And I'm not being snarky when I say this; I truly believe that if people think a singer is terrible and all that, if they are musically inclined then they should explore their own career options.

If you're not musically inclined, then really, it's just personal preference. "She sucks", "she can't sing"... unless you know what someone who CAN sing sounds like and are qualified to judge in an honest and fair way, it's opinion. I'd assume most of us here aren't professional singers or whatnot.

She's not my favorite artist out there, but she knows what she's doing and I think she's at least sincere in her support of the GLBT community.

14. Undecided John

I hate electronic music in general, but, came on, guys, she's a pretty good singer. However, if it is to mention a gay musician that I love, Jason Ricci is my obvious first choice, once I love blues above any other musical genre =D
    And, by the way, he's not even close to sing as Gaga, but who needs to, when playing like he does?
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uthohgv9_Y[/YOUTUBE]

15. MusicMan12

Maverick, I agree with EVERYTHING you've said in this post!

16. TheRoof

I used to be like the biggest fan monster in her Fame days...but then she became a little bit too weird for me, and honestly her antics and costumes became tiresome (i.e WTF meat dress...etc)
    She's okay. I don't hate her, but I don't like her no where as much as I used to. I still listen to her songs, but I've become rather indifferent about her persona as a whole.
    Also gaga is no where in the same league as Madonna. Madonna is an icon. Gaga is...well, she's pretty big in the pop culture scene at the moment but I kind of doubt she'll leave a real mark in music and pop culture as Madonna did.

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I respect her talent. I don't enjoy her music.

18. Beachboi92

inb4 the big fight over lady gaga.

In the end to anyone who says they are so much better of an artist than she is or that she's bad or whatever i say go ahead and top her. she writes her own music, takes part in the creation of the beats/instrumentals, and i personally think she can sing (although i have heard a performance or two where she did not sound so good.) If it wasn't for her creativity, drive, and talent she wouldn't be one of the most powerful and successful people in the world right now. I personally love all the crazy shit that happens outside of the music and those things are what make me like her so much.

If you don't like her i understand i don't think everyone is going to, the only thing that ever gets me is the people who want to act like not liking Lady Gaga is some badge of honor for gay people who don't want to "be part of the stereotype." Like being gay and liking her is somehow degrading, bad, or less than being gay and liking some other type of music…. those people just need to hop off the high horse and appreciate all that she has done to bring the message of acceptance into this and future generations.

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I don't really like her music at all, but holy crap you have to respect her as a person in general. People might say she is fake and whatever they want, but this girl has been able to accomplish want very little people in the world are ever able to do with their music.

If she was truly fake and all about selling herself, then trust me more people would be as successful as she is. There is something about her that makes people go nuts and for people in the industry to respect her.

I'm not going to really go into whether she is good or not (who am I to judge music) but I will say that this chick has some serious balls for what she is doing. She has also given a lot of kids a place in the world where they feel like they belong. Hate it or not, people can relate and its gives many people hope. Isn't that the whole point? How many people can say they have been able to do the same?

Not to sound annoying, but you should probably look more into why exactly you hate her and her music so much. Most of the time people don't have that strong of emotions towards things they can easily avoid. Perhaps you are projecting some things into her? Could be wrong, but just a thought :slight_smile:

20. needshelp

trust me when i say this. i think there's tons of music artists that are popular that cannot sing or i don't know why they're so popular because they suck. britney spears is a perfect example of someone who has no business singing. she cannot sing to save her life. her whole entire career is based off manufactured bullshit. a real good music artist can put out an album or music that is timeless. a lot of these artists such as lady gaga to me haven't earned this praise that they received. people like issac hayes, bob seger, madonna, whitney houston, michael jackson etc earned their stripes because they've made songs from way back that people still play to this day because it sounds that good. they have the talent to do that. artists like lady gaga are different. they just make songs for the moment and when the moment is up, so goes their career. the only reason why someone like britney spears is somewhat relevant is because the media tries to shove these so called artists down everybody's throat. nowadays, the people don't get a chance to decide who gets airplay and who has next. it's the record companies doing that. honestly, if it wasn't for the media hyping her up, lady gaga wouldn't be as successful as she is. i remember when that song "just dance" first came out. nobody paid attention. it was only when these record stations and mtv was shoving it down people's throats that people started to like it.

i think that akon, lady gaga's boss, is another perfect example of someone who cannot sing to save their life but yet he managed to have a successful career with the horrible music he put out. he may know how to play keys on a piano, knows how to make a beat, mix records or whatever but he has no business singing. he sounds horrific yet when he was popular, he was made out to be a great singer when he wasn't even that.

i feel that the popularity of something actually blinds people from seeing something for what it really is because in reality, if stations like the box was out and radio stations were still being ran by the public where people called in and requested songs that they wanted to hear and not stations decided what people should listen to based on payola and record company politics, i doubt lady gaga, britney spears, and other artists would be where they're at. i think when all the dust settles on lady gaga, i think people will realize that a lot of songs of hers are actually garbage. nobody plays britney spears music anymore, nor do they play blackstreet boys or nsyc because it was good for the time period. these artists have no form of staying power.

#20 needshelp, Sep 26, 2011