1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Revan, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this is a weird sort of question I’m seeking advice on.
    I’ve always enjoyed my birthdays, my folks and I would celebrate together every year. But I’ve never really been with a boyfriend for my bday (well I think one time in university and we just went to dinner if I recall).

My partner and I have been together for almost two years (friends for a year prior to that). We weren’t able to celebrate last year as I was on vacation with my folks and year prior we were just friends and I didn't want to ask for anything.

This year though today he told me he might be going to visit family on my bday weekend (in my opinion it is important, it's not just to visit family, there's a specific reason not just any old family visit)

He said we’d celebrate either before or after he goes/gets back or while we're on a trip a few weeks prior. I'm on the fence though how I feel. It's not like we won’t celebrate, we will and he's made that clear. But I'm just feeling like, he knows it's my bday weekend and I'm just unsure why it has to be that weekend. But I'm just unsure if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here cause it's not like he forgot, it's not like we had even planned anything yet, he let me know his plans well ahead of time, he promised we'll still celebrate. Am I just putting too much weight on one date?

74andHome likes this.
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a bday fan so it wouldn't matter to me if or when we did something. It's important for him to visit and has a specific reason you said. Why do you get a whole bday weekend? :wink: You'll be fine just have fun whenever you decide to do it with the bf and hang with your parents. Happy bday! :doughnut:

74andHome likes this.
  3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I totally get why you are upset by it. Having a special someone to share your birthday with is obviously something you have looked forward to so I can understand why you are disappointed. It sounds like your boyfriend realises it isn’t ideal and so I think for me whilst I’d be a bit disappointed I wouldn’t make it into a big thing. Hopefully there will be more birthdays to come and you did say him going is important.

74andHome likes this.
  4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha. It’s more just cause my bday falls on a weekend hence “bday weekend” lol.

74andHome likes this.
  5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha that's cool and I'm glad you enjoy your bday and how your parents made it special for you all along. Think of it as two bday weekends now :slight_smile:

74andHome likes this.
  6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha true. But thing is, and I think this is why I'm perhaps making even a big deal out of it is that...my folks are actually also going to be away when it's my birthday. So pretty much, my folks will be gone and now my partner will be gone. So...pretty much alone on my bday (first time since the pandemic began though I still briefly saw my folks). Thing is, I know my bf is a laid back person and things like bdays aren't as big a deal to him (while I took him out for his, when he held a get together the day of and only like four showed up, he wasn't really bothered. Totally understand why he wants to go (meeting a newborn family member for the first time), I guess I'm just curious why that particular weekend.

Also, I recognize that it's one birthday. If him and I are together for the long run (And I mean we've talked about moving in together as well as marriage), it's one birthday out of who knows how many. But I'm still just curious.

#6 Revan, Mar 4, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    74andHome likes this.
  7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that makes more sense on both accounts why you feel this way. With parents away and the baby will be there for a long time. In this case why does he want to go your bday weekend vs the following one? Will other family be there he wants to see or baptism, something more than just the baby? Maybe his family has certain expectations about visiting newborns he should tell you?

74andHome likes this.
  8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just feel like I should ask...but same time I won't see him in person for two more weeks. It's almost a mixed bag, cause I don't think it's something to ask over the phone/by text, but also I'm kind of like "why" and want to know.

74andHome likes this.
  9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I understand why you feel the way you do about not being able to celebrate your birthday with your boyfriend. At the end of the day though, and going on what you have mentioned in your posts, I wouldn't send a text or ask for more specifics at this point. In some respects, you have the answer to your question already. :slight_smile:

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Mirko, thanks as always for your thoughts on this.
    One of my friends suggested maybe just asking why that weekend in particular, cause I'll be honest that's the question that's driving me nuts. I'm good about celebrating beforehand, I'm not big on the day of (I mean my folks celebrated my bday yesterday since as mentioned they can't be with me on the day). BUT again I'm just curious why that weekend given there are technically two weekends prior to my bday that could also work? If that makes sense? It's less about celebrating on the day and more just why choose THAT weekend. Like if it's when his sister invited him, could totally understand that, or if say that was best price for flights, could also understand that. Again I'm just curious why go that weekend but also don't want to say come off accusatory or anything naturally.

74andHome likes this.
  11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if you will receive the answer to the 'why' question by itself as the weekend draws closer. Your boyfriend might still share with you the reason for going on your birthday weekend. You could let the chips fall where they may, and take it from there.

74andHome likes this.
  12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Count it as a learning experience so next time you'll ask right away and then you'll know why and he will know how you feel. Maybe it's too forward for Canadians, eh? Jk but that's how I imagine it in a relationship where a guy and I would talk freely about stuff like that. You could still tell him you were unsure how to talk about it as that would open up convo about communication styles or whatever so both of you will talk more freely next time. Are you sending something cute for the baby? :slight_smile:

74andHome likes this.
  13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I plan to send him with just like six month clothing. But yes I’ve never been great at being forward. We talk freely, but I’m just horrible at spelling things out and he’s very laid back about things so I guarantee he probably figured it wouldn’t be a big deal and why he suggested just celebrating together beforehand.

mnguy and 74andHome like this.
  14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to let you know that this did indeed solve itself. Thanks again for your thoughts on this

mnguy and 74andHome like this.
  15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s great news

16. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m wondering if you already have your answer;

Strength is not defined by physical capacity, but by indomitable will. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps I did. I realized I was being rather foolish making such a big deal out of something so small. It'd be different perhaps had he missed it yet had other times he could've gone but as this was the only time it made sense. And I still made sure I had a good birthday by treating myself. Plus while he had to leave that weekend, he actually also had UberEats deliver croissants from my fave croissant place out of the blue. Had no idea he had been planning to do so until they arrived haha. So yeah, it's just about not overthinking (as I tend to do lol).

18. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good to hear it's worked itself out. To be honest I would have been upset too but like you said some people are more laid back about these things than others. I wouldn't blame yourself too much for overthinking though, one of my friends completely blanked me on my birthday and although I never confronted them about it they actually upset me a lot. And we're not even a couple.

But yeah, he definitely cares either way of course and I'm happy things are better for you now than when you first posted

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah and I wouldn't be surprised if part of my feelings honestly were cause of my parents being gone? Cause to be honest, if they were IN the country, I'd likely have spent my birthday with them and just celebrated it with my partner earlier or when I got back from their city. I think the main reason tbh I was like :S was because I technically would be on my own. It was just unfortunate timing, cause also as I mentioned my partner had some family things happening, and so that as I mentioned ended up only time he could find to finally go see her and his nephew. Family's important to me, so I totally understood, I think I was just having a difficult time because of the fact parents were gone and then here's my partner saying he'll be gone.

I'll admit I feel like I was being a tad immature, I get it can be understandable to want to celebrate and birthdays can be important to people, but looking back I do feel I was being a tad silly. Thanks all for weighing in.

20. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad it turned out fine. Sounds like a great opening to talk about having open communication in your relationship and to talk about stuff as soon as they arise when possible so neither one is feeling bad holding in stuff. That was sweet he sent the treats too aww! Does he now understand how you feel about birthdays and other important things to you? Does he have stuff he can be a tad emotional about too? You sound like a nice couple and I hope you communicate and get along great! :slight_smile: