1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alone on the holidays

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pippa, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Pippa

Pippa Guest

I hate holidays.... my family doesn't include me in their celebrations and I have no one to celebrate with.... I just wish today was already over. My therapist has told me that I need to "go out and meet people".... that's easy for him to say, he wasn't told for the majority of his life that he was evil and degenerate! I feel so stuck right now, I don't like to bitch but it's just so awful to be alone all the time.... sorry, was hoping maybe for some advice.... :bang:

2. Silvails52

What about any friends? Would any of them be willing to have you over for the day?

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so sorry for how your "family" treated you all those years; that's really disgusting of them. Let me guess, they think that they're "good christians"? Regardless, you don't want toxic people like that in your life anyway. I'm alone most of the time too and am today. I'm going to enjoy a day off work, stay inside mostly because it's too hot outside, hang out on EC, maybe watch a movie and some Twilight Zone on Syfy. Yea, not super exciting, but maybe you can do random stuff like that to take your mind off being alone and just relax. I'd rather have the freedom to do what I want rather than have to run around going to a BBQ in this heat and get bit by mosquitos. Hang in there (*hug*)

4. Jim1454

I think you're letting yourself off the hook a little too easy.

If you're not happy with your situation, change it. You asked your therapist for help and you've completely discounted it. YOU are special? YOUR life has been hard? We ALL have challenges in life that we're having to overcome.

People here haven't provided much in the way of advice, because they're all going to say the same thing as your therapist. You need to get out and meet new people. The clear alternative to that is sitting at home alone.

So how to meet new people? A more positive attitude would help. Presumably that's what you're seeing a therapist for. Because being told you were evil and a degenerate doesn't make you one. Now that you're an adult you should know that. I know it isn't easy, and that we all carry this kind of baggage around with us, but you have to move beyond it.

So what ARE you doing to meet new people? Attending PFLAG meetings? Local LGBT socials? Volunteering at a local food bank or health clinic or hospital? Joining a book club or a yoga class or a running group?

Ultimately, YOU are responsible for your own happiness. Not anyone else.

5. Night Rain

That was a bit harsh. :confused:

But you really should go out and meet people. Not everyone will call you evil. :slight_smile: Do you have any friends at all? Some of them must be willing to spend some time with you. And if you don't, well, make some. I know it's easier said than done but it's the only way, unless you want to stay alone in your room with your computer.

6. Jim1454

Perhaps. But you've just provided the same advice that her therapist offered. I'm interested in hearing what the OP thinks.

7. Night Rain

Because it was the only way (and I don't want my post to be too short). :grin: