1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ally Aunt

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GayRoachGal, Jul 13, 2023.

1. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    my aunt did something really nice for me recently that I thought should be acknowledged, I was talking to her about a gay meme I had seen earlier that day and then she told me she tried to buy me a rainbow pride plush but they were all sold outtt:sob:( happy tears). like I know she was supportive.. but I didn't realise just HOW supportive she was... shes a mfing legend.

she was also telling me how my cousin went to therapy for 2 years before he realized he was gay( is this TMI?) I appreciate hearing about him though as I don't really ever get to see him( although I do really want to see him in drag, ya he's a drag queen) and I've never had the chance to tell him he's not the only queer in the fam.

first I need to come out to my grandparents though.

(also yes, I came out to my aunt earlier this year and while she didn't directly say anything, she said she was proud of me.)

its bittersweet how your immediate family is very conservative and anti-gay yet your extended fam is so open and accepting. so moral of the story; celebrate and be grateful for the allies in your life that make it easier to exist as a queer person
    :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

luminousecho and TinyWerewolf like this.
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing part of your story. It sounds like that your aunt is supper supportive. Hopefully you will be able to connect with your cousin and have the conversation/chat with them that you would like to have and that over time more of your family will accept you and show supportive. (*hug*)

GayRoachGal likes this.
  3. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So happy you have a ally !

GayRoachGal likes this.
  4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! Having any family members who are allies is so important when there is a lot of homophobia lurking around in this world, even with people who should have our backs. You might consider spending some time with your aunt just so you can have some space to be yourself if your immediate family is still not supportive.

GayRoachGal likes this.