Airport security control

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I basically don't want to be patted in certain areas. It happened to me already. I don't pass for a man, but people say I walk like I have a penis. And that caused suspcion that there is something between my legs that is not a part of my body. Like, what if my genitals really are this big? Haven't they considered such a possibility? That it is what it seems to be and patting only makes me big time uncomfortable and embarassed? I don't know if it's the actual size or the way my brain has it mapped, but either way, it's my body, not a bag of drugs.

What should I say at the airport? Should I get medical certificate about being transgender? Would that help any?

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, I don't think a medical certificate will prevent you from being patted down. It's annoying that you have to go through the discomfort but checks and pats are there to prevent people from smuggling drugs and/or dangerous objects into a plane and you refusing to be patted would just mean you being refused to board said plane. I travel a lot and while I am extremely sympathetic to people's dysphoria, or discomfort at being touched (I hate it too!), I much prefer people suffer through 5 minutes of discomfort than risking taking a flight with someone smuggling dangerous goods on board.

I think the only way to avoid being patted is consenting to an X-ray which would mean being sent away to an hospital (under custody) and probably missing your flight, looking even more suspicious.

Mihael likes this.
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A pat down is a standard safety procedure, so they would likely not let you not have one done. I know that in the US we have full body scanners. I went through one. They pulled me aside after I went through it and I explained I am transgender. Once I did, they apologized for the inconvienance and let me continue on.

Mihael likes this.
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you need a medical certificate? Or was it enough that you told the security that you are transgender?

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is for me, I'm okay with being patter anywhere but my groin and other passengers don't get patted on the groin. Because mine apparently is suspicious, because I don't fit the idea of what one or the other gender looks like. Isn't it unfair that others don't get patted there? If it wasn't so unpleasant I wouldn't mind, though.

Ah, maybe that is the point of those body scanners. To not touch people. Nobody likes being touched by strangers after all.

#5 Mihael, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  6. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Getting singled out because you walk differently is fustrating. There are legitimate reasons to walk differently including medical conditions like a disability. I don't know if there is documentation to get one out of patdowns because there are a lot of people who can't handle it.

Body scans are the less invasive option to patdowns. It sucks, I know, but unless you want to travel by train or buss that's your alternative.

Is it possible to teach yourself a less suspicious walk? Just like an actor playing a role? Just something you can fake at airports.

The only other info I can give is that smaller city airports securities are different. Specifically they lack the body scans and don't require a pat down (last time I flew). They have normal metal detectors and would only do a pat down if they felt there was a reason. Once you go through one security check, that's usually it within a country.

Mihael likes this.