1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Age is just a number'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaplaceScramble, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Koll

I'm currently dating a 21 year old uni student. I'm still technically more successful than he is at my ripe age of 17..

That said, We're also on the same mental level. We barely notice the age thing until we point it out..

I think 5 years, give or take over the age of 16 is acceptable.

2. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's something me and my friends call age math. You take the oldest person's age, divide it by 2, and add 7. that age is supposedly the youngest they can go without it being considered weird. It's weird, and it only really works between certain ages, but it seems like it works.

3. Koll

Did that for me and my boyfriend.

Barely make it.. lol :dry:

4. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, obviously there'll be exceptions, but the rule is more for when you start, or when you're looking to date. Again, it's also open to each individual case.

5. Sherri

It's much more important that you be in the same stage of life, IMO. Yeah, a college guy dating a high school guy isn't usually going to work. It's usually a completely different mindset, even if the difference may only be 3 years. However, there are always exceptions.

When I was 21 I met a guy who was nearly 10 years older than I am. He had been through hell with a girlfriend who was essentially his wife in everything but name. He lost her and the kids (who were not his -- their father was the guy who came before him, so there was nothing he could do once she left him). He lost his house. He lost his job. He was essentially put back at square one and looking to start a new career and a new life. At 21, I was just about to graduate from college (or so I thought :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and I was doing the same thing -- redefining my life. We really hit it off well because we were both on that page in life. Normally, I'd say 10 year age differences are unlikely to work, but there are exceptions.

Conclusion: Age really is just a number. It's more important that you be equally matched in maturity and on the same page.

6. Hypnotico

Hypnotico Guest

I agree with that saying, I'm 21 but I've always been attracted to men in their 30s and 40s, I don't know why but it's always been that way and the funny thing is that the ones expressing concern about our age difference is usually the older guy and not the younger guy (me) as it's stereotypically believed.

7. Koll

I agree with the stages of life thing.

8. Keelin

age is just a number, and jail is just a room. :grin:

9. Koll

Not what we're getting at- At all.

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Over the age of 25 15 years doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

But for teens it is a huge deal. And teens never see the adult who wants to date them for the losers they are, the adult wants someone naive and inexperienced and they know other adults won't play their games and have probably already exhausted most of the adults in their lives.

Of course they will make a teen feel like they are special and more developed than their peers.

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2012 at 03:35 AM ----------

Depending on the people, 21-40 is not automatically gag-inducing for me. Unusual, yes.

It is just that so much development is still taking place in the teen years. The brain going through its final stages of development, which is huge all by itself, but also so many new life experiences in a short period of time. And nobody knows how much those things change them until after they've grown up a little.

l feel like a person is truly capable of thinking the way most other adults do around 20. Just the beginning around this age, though, l feel like most people mature A LOT more by 25 and that by 30 it is common to be an entirely different person.

#30 OMGWTFBBQ, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 19, my boyfriend turns 25 in three weeks. It goes great, but I think a bigger age difference wouldn't work. I already notice some differences in the way we see/handle certain things, and those differences would just become too big if he were even older or me younger.

24/2+7=19! Yayy.

12. Crystal's Vaporeon

Well my parents are 'bout 20 years apart....
    And truthfully sure its kinda weird but I see no problem with it, I mean if they lve each other is there a problem??
    My boyfriend is 3 years older than me, and nobody seems to care, really if the love is true does anything really matter?

13. prism

I understand when a teenage couple age into adulthood (one turns 18 while the other stays 16/17), but if you're a 21+ year old and you start dating a 15 year old, you should go to jail. Age does not matter later in life, but the law should be enforced when minors are involved. If you're an adult, do whatever you want.

Personally, I try to stick to a + 1 rule: one year younger/older is okay. I want to be in a relationship with someone who has the similar interests and experiences as me, and is at the same level of maturity. My good friend in high school was trying to defend her relationship with her boyfriend, who was 6 years older than us, by telling me "But he acts just like us! You wouldn't even know he was 24!" How is that attractive? That tells me he's a creepy, immature loser trying to get with a high school girl.