1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age gap/sexual relationship

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ECMember, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Van

Van

So, you've studied thousands of relationships yourself and have all the data and statistics, hence your opinion is the only relevant one and thus should prevail? :rolle: Because you know what you're talking about and I obviously don't? That was my pinion on the matter and I have every right to disagree with you. Or should I apologize for having a different opinion than yours? :dry:
    Just because my opinion doesn't correspond with your vision for what's appropriate age gap and what you think is acceptable, doesn't mean that these relationships are not OK only because you think so.

1. Everyone can make choices and decisions for themself and just because you think there's something wrong with this kind of relationship, it doesn't mean it's a bad choice.
    2. We're talking about adults. Consenting adults.

You let people decide for themselves if it's an unhealthy attraction, would you. :wink:

Isn't it the same for people in a relationship with little to no age gap? Most people feel shitty and hurt after a break up.

1. So I'm the one who generalizes? Did you read your post?
    2. Exactly. Let people find out about themselves and understand themselves and choose their partners not based on what you feel is right and fine and OK, but what makes them happy.

Again, we're talking strictly about consent. About adults.

#21 Van, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, ECCS, the nonprofit that runs EC, places a high value on scholarly research and current thinking among professionals. We believe it's important differentiate between factual information, based on current collective thinking among professionals on the one hand... and somebody's opinion, based on their own experiences, on the other.

Again, opinions are one thing; everyone has one. But when we're communicating to a vulnerable population, it's important that we differentiate between factual information and opinion. And, as Bill Nye has said, it's hard to justify continuing to hold an opinion that's contradicted by factual information, unless one simply wants to remain willfully ignorant. This isn't about "vision"; it's about disseminating factual information so that people can make their own decisions based on facts rather than unsupported opinon.

Provided that people have the factual information to evaluate their choices, it is absolutely their choice what relationships they enter. But those decisions should be informed by fact, not unsupported opinion.

Sure, and for that matter, the issues that arise in age gap relationships can occur in age-concordant relationships. But from what we know, these problems are present an overwhelming percent of the time with age-gap relationships, and a much smaller portion of age-concordant relationships.

3. Van

Van

Which doesn't make my opinion invalid or wrong... or ignorant as stated below.

You, know, I don't appreciate you talking to me in this condescending manner. :wink:

Some relationships work out, some don't... That's it.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a matter of fact the evidence presented does make your opinion wrong. You are basically saying that age does not matter yet empirical evidence says that it clearly matters very much in most relationships. Now, it is possible that in some cases large age difference does not indeed matter but this is clearly an exception.

I don't see where this is coming. In my opinion Chip gave you a very much respectable answer. If there is condescension I don't see it.

That's a bit like saying some cars break down and others don't. If we look at the breakdown rates of different cars we see clear and significant differences between car manufacturers. Russian Ladas break down way more often than say Toyotas. Sure, if you buy a Lada it might work perfectly the same way as Toyota can break down. However, when we look at the big picture, if you want your car not to break down you are better of with a Toyota than Lada.

5. Van

Van

Read that again, then maybe think once more. Oh, the contradiction.

I'm sorry... Forgive me for I had said I didn't like the way he talks to me. :dry:

OK? :rolle:

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, people need to get a hold of their temper and discuss things in a civil manner. Whilst I appreciate there are passionate differences of opinion, this is still ultimately somebody's support thread and shouldn't be hijacked by petty squabbling and sarcastic remarks.

To be fair, it's not necessarily a contradiction. There are always going to be outliers within sociological research, and they can be acknowledged without fundamentally undermining the point being expressed. The issue isn't that all age-gap relationships never work because of reasons x, y and z. It's that, on average, age-gap relationships face considerable challenges not typically experienced by age-aligned relationships. Therefore, these challenges manifest themselves in a range of ways, often by causing a deterioration within the relationship and its dissolution. Not everybody may experience or succumb to it, but the odds are stacked against them for reasons beyond their control.

Let's say, for arguments sake, every 2 out of 50 age-gap relationships are perfectly healthy, last long-term and they live happily ever after. That's fantastic, but the problem with the 'age is just a number' mantra is that it disproportionately relies on the factor of 2, whilst dismissing the number of 48. This doesn't just apply to age-gap relationships, because we could say the same about relationships involving two young people. If you have 50 relationships who start dating during high school and only 2 end up lasting long-term, it wouldn't be factually accurate to state to somebody that they should go for it and start dating at a young age because they'll end up finding the love of their life. Fortunately, most young people know that it's unlikely their relationships aren't going to be forever at that age, so it's not really a narrative that needs pushing much, but the premise is still the same. It *is not* about telling people what they should or should not do, but merely informing them to take factors into account so that they make an informed decision. Again, to use the high school scenario, I wouldn't inform somebody that they can expect to find 'the one' based on the first person they date in high school. For a whole variety of reasons, the odds are stacked against them and it takes outliers for this to be the case (my parents even being one of those outliers). However, merely telling them to take that into account before they pursue a relationship under these expectations isn't oppressive. It's just offering them a perspective they need to consider. In the same respect, telling people that they're likely going to face considerable challenges that they wouldn't be exposed to in age-aligned relationships also isn't oppressive. You're not seeking to stop them, but merely making sure they have the right information to make that informed decision. The 'age is just a number' mantra, whilst sincere in wanting to help, disproportionately elevates the token examples (e.g. the outliers), and allows everybody to think they're going to be in that small minority who it does ultimately work out for. Even in those cases when it does work out, it is still typically observed in later ages of adulthood, rather than teen/adult overlaps.

If we look at why that is, you don't even really need to look at gazillions of studies on age-gap relationships to outline why. Instead, you only really need to understand life-stage development and the life-course model. It is true that, based on numbers, 19 and 24 are fairly near to each other. However, in terms of life-stage development, they're both in completely different groups. It's the same as how 3 and 5, or 11 and 16, are near each other as numbers, but represent radically different stages of our life. Within life-stage development, we are looking at an individual who is in the latter stages of teenhood/adolescence, and another who has settled into adulthood. If you then apply the life-course model, you can map out the imbalances that a relationship would typically be exposed to - all of which contribute to the overall power dynamics of a relationship. For example, a 19 year old will typically be in early stages of employment (likely minimum wage) or may even still be in full-time education and thus not earning, whereas a 24 year old will either have had considerable time for career progression, or will have completed university education (and even postgrad) and thus potentially be in a graduate career/profession. Right there is a big economic discrepancy. I'm the same age as my partner, and even we have had to adjust to evolving power dynamics within our wages, due to him being in full-time employment and me being on a rather tight bursary budget at university. As you map out the varying eco-systems that make up an individuals life course development, you can outline the challenges that individuals face. As a result, age-gap relationships are disproportionately exposed to this, simply because the dis-alignment in mutual progression and experience has the high likelihood of causing blips all over the place. It's certainly not universal, but we then get back to that argument of everybody liking to think they'll be that small percent who breaks the odds. Those who are the outliers tend to be at later stages of life-stage development, which is when the age-groups start to widen anyway. Unfortunately, when a perspective essentially comes down to 'go for it - you might be the exception' then we're not really giving the whole picture. Sure, we shouldn't be telling people what not to do, but we should damn well be sure that they're as informed as they can be when deciding it.

7. Van

Van

I'm sure they know who they are... :grin: I'm lookin' atchu guys. :smilewave

On a serious note, if I said something rude to anyone (which I don't think I did!) I would like to apologize. :wink:

OK, Martin, you're right for a lot of things and I agree with you on most of what you said. BUT! We were talking about adults.

I guess my point was that everyone should be able to have their own experiences without people pointing fingers at them and telling them 'hey, the statistics says your relationship won't work, so don't bother'. :wink: It may or it may not work. That's it. If it worked out - great. If it didn't - not the end of world. If two consenting adults have made the conscious decision to be together and build a relationship, then no one has a saying in this. That's my opinion and I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me.

You know what Alanis Morissette says:

8. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally I don't think so. I think you, and for that fact everyone, has more than 5% chance of finding a guy fitting your fantasy. I'm sure it'll happen. It might take a while, but it will. I'm a big believer in positive thinking. Think Positive. :grin:

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always have been and still am attracted to men way older than I am. But after seeing these type of men for a handful of times, the end result was always the same: we didn't have a lot in common, even though we liked each other. He's settled and has his own place, a stable career, etc.

I'm seeing a guy right now that is a year older than me, and we relate on so many levels. We both like watching anime, playing video games, gearing towards a career in the medical field, love eating, very strong morals and beliefs to go by, and much more. We can both mature together, essentially at the same rate.

I think what I've learned is that I the oldest I would go for would be 10 years. Even then, I would have to do some thinking if this is what I want.

#29 Jax12, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  10. tmhjdg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Martin said, bringing this back to the OP's actual concern:

Experimenting (read: hooking up) with someone you are attracted to, of any legal age, is okay as long as it is safe and consensual.

As other posters have said, pursuing a long-term relationship with someone of a different age or developmental group than you might bring additional concerns based on the statistics currently available.