1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice and input would really be helpful right now...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by shtuffle, May 13, 2013.

1. shtuffle

I’m a really rude person. There are many depressed people in my life. I tell them I care about them, try to console them and tell them I’m always willing to listen but in reality I couldn’t give two flying shits. I only told them this because I wanted to talk to them. Mind you, I’ve only done this over the Internet. I don’t know if this would be different in real life, I don’t know how apathetic I’d be. This is where it gets to the question of whether I want anyone in my life because of this reason, because I don’t care about anybody. I honestly don’t think I do care about anyone, the only reason I’ve ever talked to people or had acquaintances was for their attention. As I grew older, I became more conscious of this.

Throughout my whole life, I have always been misgendered. Every time it happened I would always feel so offended and I would just want to be alone and just cry. Yet I dressed like a boy, my hobbies and interests were stereotypically masculine and I was interested in the idea of being male. I don’t think I ever had serious dysphoria, I just think I was jealous of boys. To this day (I’ll be turning 18 at the end of May) I still get mistaken for a guy and it still hurts and feels awkward and uncomfortable, but I have the ability to do something about that. I’m just very confused about what to do - do I transition from female to male or do I try to be more feminine? Most of time I don’t even know what to wear. These are all choices and I don’t want to have to make choices, I just want to be myself! I don’t even know who I am anymore.

#1 shtuffle, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. andreaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey,
    I was in a similar situation to you a couple years ago. I am transgender (FTM). And before I came out as trans, my friends and family obviously addressed me with female pronouns but when I would go out, I would be constantly addressed as male. I found it to be incredibly awkward. (Like you, I always dressed and acted more masculine.) ANd at one point I didn't know whether to try and be more feminine so that people in public would not refer to me as a boy or not. After a long time of thinking about it, I discovered that the only reason I felt uncomfortable being addressed as male was because the people I would be with (whether it was my friends or family) would either laugh, or comment on me being misgendered. And it was their comments that made me uncomfortable rather than the actual act of being misgendered, if that makes sense?
    So after a while I did end up coming out as trans because I was much more comfortable living as and being addressed as male.
    I can not tell you a straight answer of what you should do though, because only you know who you are, and nobody else knows you better. But what I can say is that when this happened to me personally, it made me realize that I was more comfortable living as male and it was solely people's awkward reactions that made me feel uncomfortable, not being referred to as male by strangers.