1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adult ADHD

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Commenza, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm soon going to get tested for ADHD. I didn't realize until a couple of months ago how ADHD/ADD can manifest in adulthood. I have so many symptoms but I always shrugged it off as laziness or thought it was depression. I hope to get an accurate diagnosis and then be able to do something about it.

Anybody here who has experiences with ADHD/ADD and likes to share them?

2. eastrevolt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ADHD is very misunderstood - many people believe it only occurs in children! I hope you get the answer you seek soon.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I highly recommend reading Gabor Maté's wonderful book "Scattered," which is entirely about ADHD. Gabor is a medical doctor and was not diagnosed with ADHD until his 50s (he's in his 70s now.) He's absolutely brilliant, and what he writes about in the book is different than anyone else's take I've come across... but meticulously researched with detailed citations. Nonetheless, a very readable book with many anecdotes.

You're far from alone. Increasingly we are realizing that many people have ADHD, and it often goes unrecognized.