1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adopting a child rather than having a biological one

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cas girl, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't understand the concept sharing the same DNA structure makes you love a kid more.
    Why is it impossible for people to wrap their head around the fact that there are a few people who want to remain single and raise a kid instead of getting married.
    Why does the society have such a strong hold on everyone that parents are willing to sacrifice their children's happiness ?

At least that's what happens in India.
    Sorry about the rambling, I wanted to get it off my chest.

2. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    THIS IS SOOOO ME!!! Like my thoughts exactly...how can people make more children when there are solo many needing loving homes I don't get it and I really don't get those people who can't love a child which is not biologically theirs I mean why are people so selfish that they want their own child because it must look like them or have their traits geeeez think about something other than yourself.

Anyway yes! to wanting to stay single and raising an adobtive child I've always thought of that but also maybe two parents are also somehow more beneficial?...

3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kids are better off having two parents. I don't feel like dragging out the statistics or the reasons for why I say this because it's 3am, but it is best for the kid if it has two parents instead of one. Sure, there are plenty of kids who end up fine after being raised by a single parent, but it's not ideal and should not be considered ideal.
    On the other hand, if you want to just have like a lifelong room mate or something and still call yourself single and raise kids with them, that's different. But children generally need two parents. Parenting isn't about you, it's about what's best for the kids, and being a single parent on purpose is not what's best for the kids.

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now I get what you're saying, but there are people who take pride in their heritage and want to pass it on. It's not that they love their child more or less because of the shared heritage, it's just the pride in getting to pass it on to someone else who you love.

#4 Assassin'sKat, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  5. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But also for those children in orphanages/ children's homes wouldn't anything be better than no one on one love and affection...I'd think they'd really appreciate it don't you?...

6. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But I think pride and heritage definitely don't out way giving a forgotten child some hope it's waaay more important to me but I get that that's just me and I should respect other's opinions...

7. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

But isn't it unfair that I will allowed to raise a child if and only if I get married. What if I don't want a partner ? Trust me, men in India ( not all of them but a majority ) think adopting a child means they are lacking in masculinity and adultering their family lineage. People here are not interested in sponsoring a child's education, let alone adopt one.

My child may not have a father, but they will have grandparents, a throng of aunts, uncles and cousins. Isn't that better than being in an orphanage without a relative ?

8. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    TOTALLY!!!...

9. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, you're talking about India. That's a little different because the extended family seems to be much more involved. Over here, parents are on their own.
    As long as your kid has a lot of emotional, financial support and structure, idk. But over here, because extended family is less involved, it is better to wait until you find someone else to help raise a child to adopt. Partner or room mate. Just two people the kid feels they can depend on. It's healthier.

10. Loves books

I have a degenerative disease that's genetic and I always planned adopting a toddler or a slightly older child. I don't think I'd love them any less than my own flesh and blood

11. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I hope you taking good care of yourself. And that is also one of the reasons for my decision. But for me it is not any specific disease, it is just in our family we were never blessed with strong immune system, type 2 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis run rampant in my family.

The main reason is I have cysts in my ovaries. I have to undergo treatment to cure that and also maintain my sugar and cholesterol levels to escape from diabetes and hypertension ( which also runs in my family ).

My cousins who were not careful with their lifestyle are suffering the consequences now. My sister has no sensation in her legs due to very high sugar levels.

I don't want my child to have to experience these things

12. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyday I hear stories about cheaters and abusers, my neighbour who got married few years back had to file for divorce coz the emotional abuse she had to go through. It has lessen my faith on marriage or any type of partnership.

13. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :pray: :grinning:

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what those statistics are, but I would certainly challenge them. I would suggest it's more important to look at the quality of parenting, rather than the quantity. Better for a child to have one good parent than two who are useless.

15. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't agree more.

It is important to remember that we should consider our historical and cultural context when analyzing these things. Why two parents are better than one (or more)? We have examples of other models in our society (single parenting, for instance) that work perfectly well, sometimes better than someone who has two parents (the quantity x quality thing). And we have other examples of different ways of "parenting" in other societies through history, including tribes where children were raised by everyone, not just two parents.

It is hard to look at a parenting model and qualify it as "better" or "worse". There are many, many factors involved, and i think numbers are one of the least important things. Love, care, education, patience, those are much more relevant, and you don't necessarily need two parents to have those things.

16. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I HAVE PCOS TOO!!! wow that sounded so happy:/ also have the blood sugar issues, high cholesterol and blood circulation problems that go with it too.
    Wowzers we're the same, and our views on adopting too! Well we kind of have to because in vitro and those stuff are not cheap...

17. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @PatrickUK
    @Chiroptera

Totally agree on the quality vs. quantity thing I mean it's like saying if the child can't get two parents they should have non at all that's just silly...

18. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel you. What is a vitro though ?

19. Cas girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thank you. Now if only my mother can be convinced.
    My mother is doing great though. She is slowly accepting the fact she did not get the typical, conservative daughter.
    One step at a time.

20. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ja... I meant in vitro fertilization where an egg and sperm is fertilized in a test tube to make your biological baby...