1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidently on purpose coming out to a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by don72tx, Sep 21, 2020.

1. don72tx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even since i came out to my wife a few months ago I have wanted to come out to others, but have been afraid to for one reason or another. The main one being that I would get a negative reaction from them. Night before last I was playing one of my many words with friends games and one is with someone that I have known for many, many years and long ago we used to date. She lives in another town and I wondered how she would react if i came out to her. An idea came to me and I sent her a message as if by mistake like I was talking to someone else that basically said 'Don't even kid about outing me to any of our friends'. I took a deep breath and sent the message followed by a 'Sorry this was not meant for you.'. The thing is that she replied and asked who was thinking of outing me and we began a discussion about my sexuality and it all turned out great. Just wondered if anyone else has 'accidently' outed themselves as a way of coming out to others. I do realized it could have ended with the person really not wanting to know or being homophobic........

2. Hypernova

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried doing that to my entire family several times.

Nobody got it.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, instead I explore the topic to find their attitude and only if they already demonstrate themselves to be accepting do I come out. IRL I am as out as far as I understand my orientation but out to only a couple of people about my birth assignment.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  4. PeterWI

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just say you were talking about your money laundering operation.

Outing yourself that way was a sly but good idea btw.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    don72tx.....Well, I've got to admit that I haven't heard of that way of coming out before! But if it works then great! Coming out is rarely an easy thing to do even when you feel sure that the person you're coming out to will be accepting. Finding a new way that works without the big scene that can happen is absolutely wonderful. However, you still need to be prepared for the questions that will come after the acceptance...how do you know for sure? how long have you known? Who have you told? etc. So good for you and keep us updated here on Empty Closets on how this all plays out!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

BiGemini87 likes this.