1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepting the truth, being the truth

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Gayhusband, Oct 26, 2023.

1. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jeffel.....It's difficult for some people to understand that a person can love you but not be sexually attracted to you. I really do love my wife. We have spent over 45 years together, built a life together and a family, however I am not sexually attracted to her. Looking back to when we got married in our twenties, I don't think that I was sexually attracted to her even then. At that time I was in very deep denial of my sexuality. I think that I was even then unconsciously looking for someone that I could make a life with in spite of the sexuality that I was trying very hard to pretend did not exist. As the years went by it gradually became more and more difficult to ignore the fact that I was and always had been gay. All of which lead to a final crisis that was nearly fatal. Pretending to be straight when you aren't is a path that invariably leads to disaster in one form or another. At some point we have to accept who we really are if we want to ever live a real life. When you are in a heterosexual marriage and you are not heterosexual it is really a receipt for disaster. However painful it was for you to come out to her...it was the right thing to do. Honest communication is the only way that a situation like the one you are in can ever be worked out without a complete disaster. You and your wife may find that you can not stay together...it just may not work. Then again, there is always the possibility that you may find a way to stay together as my wife and I have. The fact that the two of you are talking about it is the only way that makes that outcome even a possibility. I wish both of you the very best. I hope that by being able to talk through what each of you feel are the things that you individually need, that you may find there is a possibility that your shared love can overcome the difficulties and that you marriage may be able to endure. If not I sincerely hope that you can both remain close friends for the rest of your lives. Please remember that you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Please keep us updated on how things continue to work out. .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Gayhusband likes this.
  2. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [QUOTE="jeffel, post: 6778707, member: 112632"I do love her, but I'm not sexually attracted to her. I'm not sexually attracted to any women, and I'm tired of living a lie.[/QUOTE]
    You are where so many of us have been. Once you lose the sexual attraction to women there is no going back no matter much you may think you want to. The more you try to suppress your attraction to men the more it becomes overwhelming. Trying to ignore it will only lead to frustration and anger on your part. Before you know it the urge to free yourself to pursue your same sex attraction becomes the focal point of your thoughts. I for one don’t see how it would be possible to then remain in a heterosexual relationship. The desire to be a man is too strong.

Gayhusband likes this.
  3. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you explain to me how you did this? My wife and I have only been emotionally separated for a week. I'm not having an affair or really pursuing anything about a gay lifestyle right now, but she's been telling me that already she can feel her heart growing colder toward me, and she doesn't know if she can stay in a relationship with me.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jeffel.....My situation is a lot different than yours. First off, my wife and I are older than you. My sex drive is probably not the same as yours, although it certainly has not disappeared! :old_big_grin: I have three grown sons and nine grandchildren. In a perfect world I would live with a husband that I loved. But to do that I would have to destroy my family and turn my back on those sons and grandchildren. I know that would not necessarily have to happen, but I would need to consider the worst possible scenario should I choose to come out completely and leave my wife. I can't do that. I do love my wife...not in a sexual way, but in every other way possible. We have been married for 45 years and have built a life together and a family that we love and care for deeply. It also happens that I am a Christian...and yes, that was a terrible conflict when I finally accepted that I am and always have been gay. I spent quite a while reconciling my faith with my sexuality. I can send you information about that journey if you wish...just let me know. I have come out to my wife, and while it was very difficult, we have worked through it and have chosen to stay together. The biggest reason we are able to stay together is due to the fact that I have chosen to place my family above my desire for male relationship. I am able to do that and I know that not everybody is. When I was in college I was completely out for about four years. During that time I met a boy named Tim. We became friends/FWB/lovers/and soul mates. Tim died rather suddenly and the circumstances around his death completely devastated me. I turned my back on my sexuality and forced myself to be straight for over 40 years. The depression and self-hate caused by that decision almost led to my suicide. The wonderful people here on Empty Closets and a great therapist helped me over time to recover from that and now I cherish those years and the memory of Tim. In some way having had that experience also helps me live the way I do now. So as you see my situation is probably unique. Yes, I am gay. My wife and I do not have intimate relations. I am what I call "autosexual". It works for me, but I certainly don't insist that anybody else should force themselves to follow my example unless they really do find that it would work for their situation. You have almost your entire life still in front of you. As emotionally difficult as it will be, the odds are that the best path for you and your wife will be separate paths. Co-parenting children is not easy, but many people have done it successfully. It takes cooperation and planning...and most of all - love for the children...but it can be made to work. I really do wish you and your wife the very best and at the expense of repeating myself...remember you are a part of our LGBTQ Family and we really do care about you and want the best for you and your family.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Purple Yoda and JT1999 like this.
  5. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have been struggling so much the past few days. I was feeling very sad being emotionally separated from her. We talked, and that led to cuddling, which led to kissing. It didn't go further than that, but just being back in her arms felt right. I have told her I'm willing to try to mend our relationship. I just have such a hard time with the idea of never being with a man. I feel like she satisfies all of my emotional needs when we are together, but there is an element of something else that is missing. My early sexual experiences were primarily abusive so I don't know how much that has affected my understanding of sex and love. All I know is that I love her very much, but there's still that pull to seek out a man. I wish I could have both.

Purple Yoda, JT1999 and Gayhusband like this.
  6. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Having both is likely not possible. I say that as someone who is in the 'lucky' position of having both, it has given me plenty of sleepless nights and internal anguish, am I doing the right thing by my partner, is it fair, what would people think, what does the future hold, what if I have kids - all those sort of questions. We've tried ways of making it work and I'm still not sure if it will be something I can keep doing in the future, I'm not at ease with it and if I could flick a switch and turn off those desires I would strongly consider doing it. Obviously that isn't possible - but when I don't have that female connection it feels like there is something missing, but I might have to learn to live with that.

Purple Yoda and Gayhusband like this.
  7. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand your pain and frustration. It’s a painful process. If it’s what you need and want you will stop at nothing to have it. Either way people will get hurt. I’m with you

8. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes it harder that she is adamant that being gay is a sin and that basically she thinks I'm giving into "the flesh" by so much as considering a gay relationship. It would make things so much easier if we were on the same page morally, but sadly that will probably never be the case. I wish I understood better what I want. I'm at a constant war with myself about whether I'd be happier with her or with a man.

Gayhusband likes this.
  9. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand your questions of the morality of being gay. I also suffer from the shame it still brings me. I no longer allow my wife to hurt or shame me about it. She tries. She still says horrible things about my sexuality and my desires/needs to me on occasion. I understand my wife is angry and disappointed. I don’t believe my wife can truly grasp how difficult my coming to terms with being gay has been for us. Your wife deserves the truth as mine does. Furthering the deception will only make the both of you angry, repressed and lonely. I’m trying to break through to my wife. She also denies that I am gay. It’s been a long process. I feel as I tell her again and again that I am gay I feel less and less the sexual attraction to her that I had for her before. It is becoming quickly apparent to me that there is no more turning back for us. It is a slow humiliating and humbling experience. The truth will set us both free eventually

10. Joolz66

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

11. Joolz66

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Gayhusband I'm so sorry for you what you're going though, sending you strength and energy..time will pull you through

Gayhusband likes this.
  12. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much

13. Vintage gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't say my situation was like yours, but I can understand. I knew I was gay before I was married, but living my life as a gay man wasn't an option. So, I did what most gay men my age did. . . I lied. I married, had two wonderful children, and was able to complete the sex act with my wife. I was never 100% sexually satisfied, but it kept my hormones under control. Over time that got harder. I spent time in gay chat rooms and wrote and published homoerotic books under a pseudonym. I even went as far as masturbating with men on Zoom. Somehow that wasn't cheating. Even though I did have many gay sexual encounters before my wife, I did not hook up in person with anyone again until we were in our fifties and she decided not to have sex anymore. But, the final straw was when she moved into the guest room. At that point, testosterone took over. I started hooking up with men I would meet on Craigslist. For the first time in over thirty years, I would achieve total sexual satisfaction. I thought that I could stay married and hook up until I died. And then. . . I got sick, cancer. After three years of treatment, I was ‘cured’ and I decided life was too short to continue with that farce. I moved out. That was almost six years ago, and I am now ready to tell my ex and adult kids I am gay. Empty Closets is helping me work through that. I live in a small town over an hour away from my family, I'm retired, have a wonderful boyfriend, and looking forward to taking this step in my coming out journey. I hope letting you know that there is light at the end of your very long tunnel is helpful in some way. Just take tiny steps in the direction you want to go. You will get there in the end.

14. WonderQuest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This sounds really challenging. My hope for you is you find the peace you deserve and as much as possible can stay kind to yourself as you work through this.

Vintage gay likes this.
  15. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much. I needed to hear that. A very similar story to mine in ways

Joolz66 likes this.
  16. Boru46

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is
    This is contradictory if you are truly gay ? you say you had sexual attraction for her before ? Would this not mean you are technically bisexual with a preference for men ?

Gayhusband likes this.
  17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Boru46.....I usually catch people when they make their first post in the "Welcome Lounge" but I missed you there, so I'll catch back up to you here! :old_rolleyes: I also see that you've been a member since September...I hope during that time you have learned a lot about Empty Closets. We are a group of LGBTQ people who have been through many difficult times. We do our best to help others who are going through tough times by sharing and supporting them through the experiences that we have had. We'll do the same for you anytime that you feel the need for help...just ask! :old_smile: The rest of this post is a welcome to EC and some navigation directions!

Hello and a big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent! :old_wink: ) when that becomes necessary! This is a safe community of loving, caring and very supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community.

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out, join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When I first joined Empty Closets I was in need of a lot of support and encouragement and I found it here…EC is a safe place. I hope that you'll find good things here too! Folks here will talk to you and share...you don't have to be afraid of asking questions...we're glad to have you! Empty Closets is all about making connections and giving LGBTQ folks a voice when they otherwise don't have one in their day-to-day lives. :old_cool:

Some info on how to navigate EC: :old_confused:
    When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_big_grin: If you have any questions at all, you can always send me a Private Message.

…..David :gay_pride_flag:

Boru46 likes this.
  18. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Bisexual yes. To a small degree. Men are my sexual preference. Hetero sex if I am being honest is not satisfying for me. I have tried to make bisexual work but inevitably I end up realizing that I want a man in bed. After I begin having guilt free gay sex I will be completely over wanting to have hetero sex. Even if I did have sex with a woman I would eventually have to tell her I am gay and prefer sex with men

19. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It’s so confusing! I’ve really had to figure it all out. A relationship with a woman would be out of the question because sex would always be a problem. I’ve at least learned and realized that lesson

20. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You are where so many of us have been. Once you lose the sexual attraction to women there is no going back no matter much you may think you want to. The more you try to suppress your attraction to men the more it becomes overwhelming. Trying to ignore it will only lead to frustration and anger on your part. Before you know it the urge to free yourself to pursue your same sex attraction becomes the focal point of your thoughts. I for one don’t see how it would be possible to then remain in a heterosexual relationship. The desire to be a man is too strong.[/QUOTE]
    It’s complicated no doubt. I’m very attracted to my wife. I admit I am bisexual. I also realize that I am becoming more comfortable with the fact that I prefer sex with men more. I would be dating men and hooking up with men if I wasn’t married. It’s taken me a long time to admit that I would interested in a boyfriend. I dream and fantasize about kissing men in public. I want to be authentic. I’m ready to let the whole world know. I’m finally free. I am still married though. My wife is in the process of learning to accept that I am more gay than when we married almost 3 decades ago. I can’t explain how I am still attracted to her. It confuses me and especially my wife. The attraction may be a way to deny that I no longer desire to be with women sexually so I might have possibly maintained this attraction because it keeps me connected to my wife. As she learns acceptance she definitely is losing her attraction to me, even though she says otherwise. Sometimes when angry she’ll blurt out how she’s attracted to “real men who like having sex with girls”. So, I know how much facing the truth for her is tearing her apart. It’s very hard to see. I’m taking responsibility for hurting her and making life more difficult than it’s ever had to be.