1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abortion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connor, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Steam Giant

Very good points, Becky ^^

Another thing to consider is that, if it does become illegal, that'll just mean that the number of people taking the extremely dangerous "coat hanger" route will dramatically increase. Legal abortion allows people to have a clean, safe method of doing what they would be getting done anyway.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that it is up to the mother. If the mother wants to have an abortion, then there should be no one stopping her. As long as the fetus isn't too developed. But overall the mother should have the ultimate choice.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like the idea of abortion, but making it illegal would result in people having it done unprofessionally and could cause them to die or become damaged in some way like them infamous backstreet abortions. I think it should be allowed to stop it being done on the sly, but i still am not a fan of it.

4. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I am pro-choice, and think that safe terminations should be available in early pregnancy. However, like Becky, I feel very much that it is a last-choice option, and, contraception having failed, feel that people should seriously consider adoption. It is not a decision to take lightly; and I have to say that I expect (or at least hope) the majority of women think long and hard before they make such decisions (I know I would).

It is one of those things that I would leave to the individual's conscience, as I will not be the one living with the consequences. And I would fully support a relative or friend's decision whatever they chose.

(this is rather an ironic topic for a gay-support website!)

5. Ty

Ty Guest

Im all for abortion.

People say you should give the baby up for adoption if your raped. But really, why should the woman have to go through the pain of carrying the child and giving birth? And its not like we don't have enough unwanted babies in orphanages anyways =/ No need to make the world even moar overpopulated.

6. Connor

Connor Guest

I'm sorry I forgot to mention this, I agree. A lot of women die from backstreet abortion and making it illegal will only worsen this problem.

Haha, I didn't consider that before. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But yes, true.

7. lostinthought9

I'm pro-choice...I think it's the woman's decision on whether she wants to have a child or not, espicially in the case of rape, and rape/incest...funny it was mentioned, cuz i get alot heat from my English teacher (who happens to be one of the most religious man ive ever met) about this whole situation....

8. Jerr

I'm all for killing the parasites. lol (Love referring to fetuses as such... because they are? lol)

Pro-Choice/Pro-Death whatever you choose to label me as, so be it.

Keep your own opinions though. They are what make you, you. I mean if you wish for our already overcrowded orphanages to get worse, go ahead! Freedom of choice. I Love the USA!

so Abortion:for

I think the father (if it is a relationship) should have SOME say in it... I mean If I accidentally got someone pregnant.. I'd want the child. (chances are) But ultimately the choice is up to the gal.

9. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I am pro-life.
    Yes it is traumatizing to deal 9 months with a "unwanted" baby in case of rape, and a lifetime if she decides not to give in adoption. But I believe that there is life since the very first second of conception (sp?)
    I imagine me as a raped woman, I'd prefer to have my baby and give in adoption rather to kill my own baby and kill a possible Dolitician / Doctor / Scientist, God knows what good he could make for the world and for himself.

10. davo-man

I am pro-choice, to a certain extent.

In my mind, the perfect system would be that it was legal, but the stipulation would be that the woman has to go for a certain amount of counselling sessions, even if it's only one, cos I mean, giving up a baby would be a traumatising experience for anyone in any situation. It also shows that it's not something that should be taken lightly.

I don't believe that feotuses can feel, or have emotions, because from what I've read, they're not developed enough to have those feelings. However, if you believe differently, that's your prerogative.

Also, the other stipulation in my perfect system would be that the abortion holds no significant risk of harm for the mother.

11. FlatEarth

I'm VERY pro-choice. If a fetus has no nerves and no brain, it cannot comprehend being killed anyway. If a woman does not want the child, she has the right not to have it.

12. SamAlex728

it is the worst kind of murder as the developing human being hasnt done anything wrong and is being killed off

ITS RUDE!!!!

13. Zak

Zak

Connor, what is the diff between pro-life and pro-choice? ANywayz, im not against aboriton....if the mother has sex and doesnt want a abby, i am against it...if the mother was raped, i think that abortion would be an option......depends on the situation. Overall....it should be legal....adoption is good too.

14. TexasBoy2594

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a very hard decision for me to make. I believe it is wrong to kill another human being...especially your own child. However, I am not a woman therefore I have obviously not experienced pregnancy so I have no clue what the woman is feeling during that time.

15. Rette

I have an honest question for the people who claim that life begins at conception; what do you base this off of? How is it that you define "life"?

16. TexasBoy2594

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well I'm divided over the subject. I DO believe that when the sperm meets the egg, that is conception and there is life. That's just what I believe.

17. Steam Giant

thing is, eggs are alive long before sperm meets them. This meeting begins a process of change and growth, but it doesn't create life.

18. Rette

I suppose a better question is, can this be considered a human life? It may fit the definition of alive, but so does a plant. Is there something intrinsic about the zygote that makes it human?

19. Steam Giant

That's a very good question, and I'd like to see if anyone can find a link to a definitive scientific explanation of what exactly human life is described as, in other words, at what point during development does this egg, which most certainly is not human yet, earn this coveted status?

20. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

I don't really know where I stand on this issue:
    - If someone gets raped, of course I would support her with abortion, because who would want to give birth to a baby that was created out of rape?

But then, if abortion becomes legal because of this sole reason, then every woman would use that excuse to get an abortion, when in truth, she agreed to take part in having sex.

So, I'm iffy about my choices; that seems to be the case on every debates I partake in - I'm never sure which side I agree on the most :goodevil: