1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A while ago now

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Right

Now a while ago me and my mom were out for a meal and chatting, etc etc. The subject of gay people came up (I think it was because there's gay people at where she works) Getting away from point!

She said that if I was gay she would be okay with it. Now my question is

Does my mom suspect something?
    Does she know?
    Is it possible my mom is just waiting for me to come out?

2. suninthesky

If she said that, you should just go up to her and be like: "remember a while ago when you said..."

Then, you can ask her yourself and both of you can quit speculating. :slight_smile:

3. shy

shy

hmm, my mom did much the same with me before I came out to my parents and after that she told me that she wasn't really that surprised. Sometimes I just ask myself if she knows things about me even before I know them.

I would say she might suspect it but as long as you don't tell her she won't know it for sure.
    If she suspects something she would want to hear the truth from you and not from anybody else or just by accident. This doesn't mean you have to come out to her if you don't feel comfortable about it. This will always remain your decision. Remember that she said she's ok with you bein gay. She must have thought about it for at least once what means she won't take it too badly. It's highly possible that she'll be totally supportive.

4. Lewis

It sounds like she's just letting you know that there's nothing to be afraid of, maybe she does have an inkling.

I remember my mum telling me when I was a child (6-8 years old) that she would love me the same if I were gay and that I could tell her anything. This was because I was sat watching TV with her and a gay couple were kissing on some show, this was the first real gay encounter I'd had, so she explained everything.

Your mum just loves you and that's her way of letting you know that she'd be fine with it. :slight_smile:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moms usually know.

My guess is she probably suspects and is inviting you to come out by telling you she'd be OK with it.

So... if you're feeling like you're ready for it, I'd just go for it :slight_smile:

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Well it was a good while ago now and I sorta got the feeling she wanted me to say it there and then but I wasn't ready, being in denial and all.

But now I'm just getting used to the idea of and accepting the fact "I'm gay" it's good to know she'll be fine with it. Although I'm still gonna wait a while just so I can feel totally comfortable with being gay

7. Ianthe

If you come out to your mother, that will help you to feel better about being gay. The more out you are, the more comfortable you will feel, and it is unlikely that you will ever be "totally comfortable" with it without starting to come out first. Talking about it openly with people will make you feel less ashamed, and you will feel better.

Your mother loves you, and went out of her way to make sure you knew that it would be safe to tell her. It's fine that you didn't tell her right then--she probably hoped you would, but when you tell her that you just hadn't accepted it yourself yet, and you were in denial about it, she will understand.

It will make a big difference for you if you tell her. I don't think you should wait to tell her until you are completely comfortable, but rather tell her as soon as you are just barely comfortable enough to bear it. You will never be completely comfortable while you are still in the closet. Secrets make you ashamed.

8. rainbowfox

as Chip said moms almost always know :slight_smile: if you don't want to come out now, don't but for future you know now that your mom will be supportive and will accept you :slight_smile:
    and something else to add, coming out to close people who are supportive and love you, makes you feel really better :slight_smile: so, give it a try as soon as you got ready :slight_smile: