1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Vow of Celibacy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jose Carioca, Nov 5, 2009.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

It's obvious that you like to correct people and make yourself feel good about it. It's quiet funny. All I can say is good luck with dating, cause you're gonna need it.

2. 71390S

71390S Guest

And you're placing soooooooooooooooooooooo much emphasis and putting sooooooooooooo much effort into being celibate, I feel like you're setting yourself up for failure. lol I am sorry I'm not trying to be rude, it's just whenever I say to myself "shawn, you will not do this until this. EVAR" I end up doing it.

3. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Celibacy isn't the important part, so much as honesty is. If I met an adequate man tomorrow I wouldn't mind giving myself to him. When I exaggerate and say I'll wait 50 year if I have too, I'm just trying to emphasize my determination. Of course I'm actively dating and trying to find good people, which is not as hard as I expected. I think that putting yourself out there is really important in the process.

4. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's obvious that you like being condescending to people and make yourself feel good about it. It's quiet funny. All I can say is good luck with talking to intelligent human beings, cause you're gonna need it.

5. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing is, I don't think all the criteria I outlined are set in stone; in fact, many are flexible. You can improve how you look, how you act, your emotional well being.

It seems like many of the things you listed as "faults" are actually areas you can actively try to improve to increase the quality of your life. That is also part of the list. It is my obligation to be the best I possible can.

The only thing that's hard to change is looks! I mean even that can be changed if you are willing to shell out enough cash/work hard enough.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're going to need to be extremely flexible with relationships, you're perfect guy could only match one of your requirements or none of them. You love who you love, not who fits the standards.

7. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, which is why I'm making this list. I was naive and assumed that they had more worth than they actually did. I ended up placing too much value on them and lying to myself and them. Luckily, I'm still a virgin, because that would have been very emotionally draining. The fact that I place so much value in placing my emotional trust, love, etc. in people shows that a physical commitment is even more important.

8. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's so weird, what you are saying is correct! But, you continue to try to refute my argument with that which is based on! I'm glad that you're not wrong, but I am frustrated that I'm having such a hard time articulating myself, if that makes any sense. I'll try to be less intense with my approach, if you will be willing to look at it with fresh eyes.

Okay, you just answered your own misunderstanding. "Getting to know a guy and who he is " is what the list is. It's just outlined all of the aspects so that one can be conscious of it rather than ignorant of the unconscious mental thought processes.

9. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    So what is love based on? If not inborn or socially regimented standards, conscious or unconscious, what is it?

10. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope that makes sense. And I apologize for using bold, it's just the easiest way to point out what I'm talking about.

11. x2x2x2x2y2

Why don't you try being a human being instead of an "must correct errors" robot? I might not be that smart but atleast I don't go around making lists and marking off people as "not good enough for me!".

12. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    So basically, being metacognitive is turn off for you? I understand you don't want someone who understand why they are attracted to you. You would rather have someone that is naturally unconsciously attracted, that makes perfect sense. And in real life that is what I strive for. This is very natural. It's not so much my ideas that you don't like, but the fact that I understand them. Wait that sounds too arrogant:eusa_doh:frowning2:Do you like it when I use emoticons? It makes me seem more human and relatable. Opps there I go again trying to understand reality, silly me), you don't want me to analyze things because it makes things to artificial instead of natural. I agree, I don't act like that in real life, but I keep it at the very back of my mind just to bring me back to reality in case certain situations occur.

I'm very robotic when I write, but I do that in order to articulate my ideas in the clearest possible manner. In real life my speech pattern is much more colloquial and relaxed. Thus is facilitates social interaction more easily than more robotic text. If I seem like a corrections robot it is because I strive for the truth.

#72 Jose Carioca, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  13. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay here's where I was unclear (I'm taking blame; so, please try to be open and listen). When I say something like "Fashion" on the list that doesn't mean the latest trends or something, but that they shower and keep themselves sanitary. "Fashion" is the subject but I, in my head, define the standard. All of the subject areas are like that they are not set at unrealistically high standards. For something like "morality" they don't have be Mother Teresa herself, but they should be a psychopath who is a danger to himself and society. When I say the subjects, they are very different from the actual standards I use to measure them by.

14. x2x2x2x2y2

My point is not everything needs to be analyzed. I'm done. go ahead and smile as you say to yourself "I win". I hope you have a good life(that is if you ever learn to live) Mr. Roboto. Bye! :slight_smile:

15. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Here's something else that I've been somewhat hesitant to bring up because I find it somewhat touchy, but it's the fact that I rather prefer to be submissive. In order to be submissive, the other person should be "better" (And I use that word tentatively, but I don't want to get into a semantic debate, just try to understand it as I intend.) than myself.

Like a wise old man once said: " I take pride in having climbed the tallest mountains I can."

16. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't derive pleasure from beating others. I pursue what appears to be true. That was my goal.

I'm glad that we could come to a conclusion. The disagreement isn't over the list so much, but rather if it should have even been made in the first place. I find that argument much more tenable than the one you were making before. Actually, I'd rather agree that they shouldn't be analyzed by everyday people, but then again someone has to do it.

17. Shevanel

Love isn't Scientific. Love is irrational. You cannot reason with it. End of story.

18. 71390S

71390S Guest

I dunno, how you type is annoying meeee and I'm not sure why. It's like you're approaching this from a weird debate perspective and not a conversational perspective. Maybe you were upset by the responses and in response you get really robotic, I have a girl friend like that. she gets robotic to stop from being really pissed off.

19. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Whoa. This thread turned into a shit throwing contest pretty darn quickly.
    I'm going to some up my views on this and hopefully, I won't sound too much like a douche.

1. It needs to be reiterated since you don't seem to be grasping it. Love isn't a checklist. Even if you think that you are mediocre in most respects, the mere fact that you will not 'lower standards' to those of less socioeconomic status, interest in outward appearance or intellect proves that you cannot look beyond those points. I understand that you want to get 'the very best of what you deserve', but it sounds an awful lot like shopping for the best outfit. A relationship shouldn't have to be an achievement or allow you bragging rights. An unintelligent person can love you just as much and take on a dominant role.

2. A checklist isn't a bad idea per say. I will agree with you on that. I have a 'type' (although occasionally I wander from that path) and I am aware of what I look for in a person, be it male or female. But the thoroughness of your list is disturbing. Saying you need to be with a person that has ALL (or even a majority) of those qualities is setting yourself up for failure. How does income relate to your sexual or romantic interest in a person? It doesn't. It is shallow to the very core. If you could trim down the less important things and concentrate on personality traits and interests, you may find yourself dating/sexing up suitable people.

3. You posted this thread. You asked for advice. People have shared their opinions. It would seem that people are against your 'robot' like demeanor and your reluctance to admit that you may be in the wrong. If you don't want to take people's advice, why bother to post the thread? We mostly disagree with you. Take our advice with a grain of salt and move on. And avoiding this whole issue with how you reply to people's comments, it can be further said that we disagree with this vow of celibacy. Humans are sexual creatures. I thought Jim's thoughts on Mr. Right Now are particularly relevant.

I think I pretty much summed up what I wanted to say.

EDIT: AHA! It just occurred to me. If you aren't willing to date those who are 'beneath you' (which is a shit attitude to begin with), how can you expect your 'better man' to date someone (see: you) beneath them?

#79 Numfarh, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  20. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    If this doesn't help I don't know what will and I think I'll give up. That is because, Numfarh, I generally take you be one of the most intelligent people on this entire forum. I'm going to try my best not to sound aggressive or cold, because I respect you.

I'm going to try and quickly summarize your argument and correct me if I make Straw-men. Also, when I number my paragraphs 1) 2) 3) EDIT, I will be making reference to your corresponding point.:

1) Love is not a checklist.
    2)Metacognition is disturbing.
    3)You asked for advice Take it like a man damn it!(OK I had fun with that one)
    EDIT: How can someone who is better than you love you back? Dominant (Conqueror) ---> Submissive ( Conquered)
    Now I will attempt to address them:

None of the abstract that you claimed go against my theory, they are in conformity with it as I will try to explain below:

1) When I made the list, I did not put what was most important or relative. I organized in order from most easily perceived to least easily. That is, Looks/Health=Visual, Intelligence = Verbal, Social Status = Verbal but less easily perceived, and Personality= Verbal and visual and thus the hardest to comprehend. I organized the list of what is easily perceived. The list is also not so much a check list as it is a fill in the blank for the first section I would do as follows:

Etc. That's how the list works. I should have been more clear, though I did say in bold italicized underlined letter "According to one's own values", but I guess people glazed over that section. Therefore the list is a fill in the blank and if the person I'm dating does not conflict with what makes any sort of sense, then they are good to go.

Also, it's not the list that is inflexible, but my morals. I will define my morals as my willpower to keep from investing emotional energy in people that are not compatible with me.

2)Here's the weird thing I agree with most of what you guys/gals/Xs have been saying, but what I find interesting is the utter abhorrence of metacognition.(Please read, it will clarify a lot of what I have been saying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacognition) The fact that I can explain something seems disturbing which I will now explain.

People, naturally, want social interaction to be a natural fluid process devoid of overcomplicated thought. When one breaks down and correctly understands in practical terms what is occurring in these situations, people are put off but the idea. The reason, I conjecture, is that it is unnatural, artificial, not real etc. The fact that someone can analyze and break down how a social situation works and operates is very unnerving. It reminds them, unconsciously I suppose, of a con man who understand the inner most motivations and desires of the human race. They see a metacognitive being as a threat, that this person could get inside their head and take from them whatever they want. That is the true reason that people don't like my thread. It's very robotic and frightening but that does not for one instance make it wrong. It's unnatural and disturbing but it may in fact be true. That was what I learned from this thread. I danced around the idea for years before finally coming to this magnificent conclusion. In interaction, people don't want to know what their doing, and more importantly, they don't want the others to know.

Also, on my diction sounding robotic, I wanted to try to be as clear as possible because it's a difficult topic. I didn't want to bog it down will extra fluff.

3) I'm going to skip, because if I clear up 1+2+EDIT, the problem should go away.

EDIT)Well, the psychology for a dominant male, which I've experienced from time to time would be as follows: they want to overcome the biggest obstacle they can. That would be the ultimate goal. They don't want to overcome those so weak(Please disregard the negative connotation) that they aren't even a challenge. Hey! I've got it, you've got a cat right(Adorable I must say)? Does your cat like it if you just give it the toy that it is supposed to chase? I suppose not. They would rather chase and pursue rather than obtain and keep. Getting the mouse toy is only satisfying in how hard it was to obtain. Thus, I wish to make my self like a challenging mouse toy ( to mix a metaphor ). It would seem that they wish to conquer, something that is worthy of being conquered.

If that doesn't help I don't know what will and I think I'll give up. That is because, Numfarh, I generally take you be one of the most intelligent people on this entire forum. I tried my best not to sound aggressive or cold, because I respect you.

I realize too that trying to explain this to every person that "throws shit" at me is pointless. If you, and you alone get it, I will be satisfied.

#80 Jose Carioca, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009