1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question Of Sorts.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by littledinosaurs, May 26, 2009.

?

Can you live with the name Civil Union if all the rights are the same as marriage?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    64.4%
  1. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Christmas is also meaningless to me :wink:

2. Paralyzer

Well gays can be religious too, and even if we aren't all a firm believer, I would say most of us are in some way spiritual. If you don't want to have the term marriage to define your relationship with your partner, then fine, but all in all marriage is a term that has meaning no matter how you look at it. I want to get married because I believe in monogamy and faith in love both on this earth and in other worlds.

There are many things today that destroy the value of the term marriage such as polygamy and marrying for green cards and shit like that. I guess the root of the debate is how you view marriage, and the way I see it is that it's a commitment of eternal love.

What the hell is a civil union? Living with someone and having political civil rights just as married couples do. Sure, that can be an option at your union when you're getting unionized, but I want the option of being married at my wedding. I do have morals, and I do understand that the term marriage has a traditional meaning.

And don't argue traditions, because traditionally, traditions conform to the norms of modern times. Marriage can incorporate celebrations between same sex couples under faith in love and honesty.

3. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I marked no. Though it is more like a yes and no. While I will always advocate for the total equality of gay couples to straight couples. If I had to I would definitely take a union over nothing. But even with all of the rights the difference between marriage and civil union is the social class that comes with it. Like it or not when the government decides to only give gay couples civil unions they are saying the relationships are worth less than straight couples and they make second class citizens out of gay couples. Marriage caries with it a positive social perspective. When a couple gets married in today's society it is celebrated as the couple reaching the pinnacle of love and social acceptance one that in most states gay couples are denied. Don't get me wrong civil unions are great but they are still second to a true marriage.

4. Just Adam

how can it be equal rights if i cant have the same as someone else?,

i dont want all the rights that come with the word marraige without beeing it. civil union just like two people are friends or a polite workers rights support group. if i fell in love with a guy i want to be able to wake up and say husband not partner or unibond like some fucking adhesive .

i want equality i want marraige to be the right it is of a loving couple but typical spineless politics trying to play both sides give them what they want but dont piss off the religeous lot.

its thinking about these things that ruin my day as i just cant help but think how unequal the world is in the name of equality and how little human rights seem to matter compared to political appearance. :frowning2:

5. Jan13

Jan13 Guest

I think it is about money and benefits. If the government tax rates and benefits were based on "Individuals", we would not have this problem. Inheritence would go to the person who lives with you, and shared your life. I am offended with the forced corporate acceptance of a Religous tenent, backed up by governement interference. Give me my freedom and keep your "marraige". I will stay as I am divorced.

6. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Prop 8 tells me otherwise.

The word marriage has no meaning to ME. Check the thread title, it asks what YOU believe:wink:
    Meaning were both right.

7. acorn7

Short answer: No.

Long answer: It's better than nothing, or civil unions without all rights, but WHY wouldn't it be called the same? Could you have a wedding for your civil union? Shouldn't you have a "husband"? It's grotesque.

8. Paralyzer

Well whatever you believe, I just hope that we're all fighting for equality for everyone; not just those that will settle for less because certain things don't have meaning to them.

And not to flame you, but what is Prop 8? Is it anymore than one of the millions of biased interpretations from some religious text? I really hope you don't believe what Prop 8 tells you.

EDIT:
    I realize what I meant when I said "marriage is a term that has meaning no matter how you look at it." When I said that, I meant it has meaning to the people that see it with meaning. To the people that don't care, it should still have meaning because it's such an important word to so many people. You don't have to believe it means anything other than political civil rights and a commitment, but you should at least realize the importance of the term having a meaning so the term isn't neglected as it's worth social value.

And I realize I need to relearn punctuation :/

#28 Paralyzer, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  9. Amy

Amy

Fuck no.

My personal theology follows the laws and beliefs of several religions, but, above all, I am a Christian. I want my union to the woman (or man, but that is not very likely) that I love to recognised in front of my God.
    I'm not a fundy, this is what I have always believed.

10. olides84

I voted no.

I can only accept 'civil unions' or whatever they want to call them if the federal and all 50 state governments agree that 'civil unions' are the civil contract that binds all couples - gay and straight. Then we have equality. And they can leave 'marriage' as a totally religious term and chruches can marry straights or gays or both as they desire.

And like Paralyzer said, even if you doubt you will ever get married - and I'm one of those - that doesn't mean that you should disregard the fight of your fellow LGBT brothers and sisters. Because discrimination against some is discrimination against all.

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brown v. Board of Education: separate is not equal

Was true more than 50 years ago, still just as true today.

12. Markio

I do want all the same rights that come with a marriage, but calling it a civil union would just perpetuate the idea of "separate but equal". It shouldn't have to be called something different just because I'm gay.

13. Eleanor Rigby

It would be completly hypocritical to have a civil union that give the same right as marriage and to have a different name for it. Everyone should have the right to be married with the person they love, with the same rights and the same name for it.
    Love is love, it has nothing to do with beign straight or gay.
    I had the chance to marry the person I love, everyone should have the right to live that.

14. Bunny

Um, no.

Why should we have to live with civil unions when everyone else is out there getting married?

I know that even if it WERE a title it wouldn't matter, but ughhhhh.

15. Just Adam

that would be fine if marraige was just religious and if people wanted the rights under the law they now have they should get unioned under that law, that would be fine with me as i would be equal to everyone else who has these rights where now if you can be united its treated like a mini hushed thing.

i agree everyone deserves the same or your saying that my love is inferior :slight_smile: everyone needs to find that someone and be happy and gender should be irrelevant.

it goes deeper than if the only difference was the title though... why have i been labeled differently? why arent we the same who says we arent what right do they have. even in a title these things arent equal

16. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I never said to disregard the fight at all. In fact you just said basically what i said. I said make a WHOLE new name for it, and ditch marriage. Thats equal!

17. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't really imagine asking or being asked "Will you civil union me?"

My problem with the seperation is not the rights, but the terminology. Marriage is something recognised all around the world, so should any of us get married and move to another country we know what our relationship status is (even if said country doesn't allow same-sex marriage). Now, if you're in a civil partnership (as they're called here) then how the hell do you explain that relationship to a country which has no legal recognition for same-sex couples? It's difficult to understand here in terms of rights and stuff, so trying to get a foreign country to acknowledge it would be even more difficult.

Creating different unions for different people just complicates things. You need terminology that is universally accepted.

18. Ben

Ben

If they had the same rights then they might as well just call it marriage.

19. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

What about something like 'Will you be mine forever?' thats what i'd say :wink:

20. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know, you've asked me enough. The answer is still no! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: