1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A pimple

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alexander69, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Pain

Pain Guest

Like everyone else said, don't touch it, or your face unless your hands are thoroughly cleaned. Wash your face with some kind of special soap and water (as regular soap can open the pores further and allow more things in, therefore adding zits).

Wearing makeup without cleaning your face TWICE and applying a primer coat can lead to breakouts. It sounds like only one, but this is just a hint. Washing your face after sweating is important, obviously. And keeping your hair clean is important too; if your hair touches your face and is unclean, breakouts may happen.

And, stressing about it won't help it go away. It'll make time go slower for you and you'll feel like it's there for much longer than what it actually is. Not a big deal; happens to everyone.

2. RainbowBright

Thanks, someone mentioned hormones! The main cause of acne - that's why it doesn't grow on children, if it was only about being dirty kids would be riddled with them, and if it was only about stress they would be most common in 45 year olds.

People get different kinds. For some they can be kept a way with reasonable sleep, nutrition, and hygiene. But most people need more help than that. If you have the kind on the surface of the skin, a simple topical solution will help. Don't dry it out with skin pads, that will only make the skin produce more oil and make it worse.

Others who have a more severe issue may need help with hormones, and can talk to a general doctor or a dermatologist. Lots of Rxs help with specific issues. For girls, many types of birth control will help - and no, you do not have to be sexually active to take birth control, but it is a medicine and will affect your body and can be costly so it's a big decision. But it also regulates periods so for many it is worth it. For those with subcutaenous (under the skin) acne, the hormone help is necessary.

If you still cannot get anything to work, or can't afford the other ideas, try cleaning your face with hydrogen peroxide twice a day. It kills bacteria, and is dirt-cheap at your drugstore. It could be that your immune system cannot fight off infection that well (an issue with stress, and lots of other things). It is drying so just lightly wipe with a cotton pad and that's it, and put ointment on the actual spots after. You'll likely find that you avoid new pimples as long as you take care to clean your face in the morning and at night this way, and an extra time if you sweat a lot in the middle of the day.

Do your best to avoid touching your face - pressing the sweaty phone to it for hours, touching it with your naturally oil-producing fingertips, things like that do not help. Notice if you tend to get them only in areas of your face that sweat a lot, or that you touch frequently. That kind is easily avoided.

3. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    please do NOT use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on your face, it dries out your skin, which just causes it to produce even more oil (see the downward cycle looming there?) and it also alters the ph of your skin and is known to cause irritation and premature aging.

the real, BASE causes of acne are pretty simple
    1. overproduction of oil
    2. bacterial buildup
    3.irregular skin shedding

things that make acne worse are hormones, certain medications, and for some people consuming too much dairy or carbs

MANY people break out because of soaps, lotions, hair products and makeup. read the labels, if it doesn't say noncomedogenic, don't put it on your face.

a big problem is that with the use of over the counter treatments for acne a lot of people use both salicylic and benzoyl peroxide products, which are contraindications for each other, as one thins the skin, and the other causes it to thicken (by not shedding)
    as a professional I only use salicylic acid products as I feel they are the road to long term success, but either way, don't use both at the same time.

a good acne regimen will involve a mild cleanser, an astringent, and a moisturizer, as well as a mask or peel to treat current flare ups and prevent future ones.

something else you might not know.... tanning can be an effective treatment for people who have mild to moderate acne related to hormones, but in many states if you are under 18 you will need a doctors note in order to be allowed to tan. this is not laying in the sun btw, its not the same, just trust me.

I also like the use of peels, not just because I do them as a salon service, but once your skin builds up a tolerance to mild peels, you can get a mid range peel (like a TCA peel) which will do a LOT more than help clear your skin, it can also help to get rid of some deeper acne scars and fine lines (if you have any) I usually recommend a series of 6 mild salicylic peels, every other week get a peel and after 6 most people have cleared up completely (when paired with a good at home regimen)

anyway, thats my final bit, please just be kind to your skin, it doesn't have to be a battle, its a part of you, its much eassier to work with it than against it.

4. RainbowBright

A note, I have been using hydrogen peroxide on my face twice a day for 2 years, and I constantly get compliments on how amazing my skin looks. HOWEVER, I have an immune disease, and my body cannot fight the bacteria so it causes infections with the acne if I don't use it. This was on recommendation of my doctor, and many others who have medical problems find this is also very helpful. I mentioned plenty of other things to try first, but as I said, it depends on what the reason is for each individual's acne, from the simple to the complex. I only mentioned the hydrogen peroxide because for those who have tried everything and nothing works, this can be a very simple and cheap solution, it was an absolute miracle for me. It is not unsafe for skin, it is used as an antiseptic to keep wounds, and many people gargle with it and use it for various areas that need help to stay infection-free. For many it is very mild and does not sting or cause any skin irritation or drying - but you don't soak your face in it, you just wipe it once with a dampened cotton pad. My skin stays soft and smooth and people are always assuming I am in my early 20s even though I am in my early 30s. So your suggestion is not true for all people, medical care is very individual and each body works a bit differently, and for those who do not respond to standard treatments it can be helpful to know there are other causes they never thought of.

I personally would NEVER recommend putting rubbing alcohol on someone's face, that seems way too harsh unless a doctor instructed it. You can feel that it is harsh when you touch and smell it, the hydrogen peroxide doesn't feel like anything but water and has only a mild smell.

5. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok, so it works for you in your situation, and that's great, but that's a very specific situation for someone with a medical condition. it is the exception, not the norm. on average I wouldn't recommend it to people, it alters the ph of the skin, lightens the skin and facial hair over time, and is more drying than an actual toner.
    (as for your teeth, just ask your dentist at your next visit)
    I'm not saying that it doesn't work for anyone, but I don't want to give out advice that could hurt someone, because using hydrogen peroxide is normally a bad choice.
    *my advice about using aspirin of course does not apply to people who are allergic to aspirin...

however, that said, yes, for some people, hydrogen peroxide does work, but using it means that you should NOT go tanning or get facial waxing because there is a risk of permanent scarring for SOME people. that said, of course everyone is different and if you really want to try it and get your brows waxed or go tanning, ask your doctor.

6. MixedNutz

Cleanse with tea tree oil. Dab tooth paste on it over night.