1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A linguist on why some people struggle with pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cailan, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this link today. The linguist is an enby and studies gender-based language issues, and especially they/them pronouns.

http://gender.libsyn.com/episode-13-kirby-conrod

I am one of those people who struggle with they/them and this provides some insight on what's going on with my brain. According to the linguist, it's not transphobia, but deeply learned linguistic patterns that can be overcome with extensive (self)training.

EverDeer likes this.
  2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it's just a grammar issue. I don't really care what people call themselves, but every time I see someone using different pronouns than usual it's like a reflexive thought of 'something is wrong here'. My English teachers in school had too much of an impression on me I guess.

Also some people take it too far. They/them makes sense, but there seem to be a lot of people who just literally make up words to use. There's one person I know in real life who wants his pronoun to be 'zen'. Like come on, zen? is that really necessary?... no offense intended to anyone of course.

3. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly don't get this issue at all. Call me he, call me she. I don't care either way. I've been called both even when I'm not dressed in a way that would make people think I'm a girl.

MrLesbian likes this.
  4. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for sharing, Cailan! I'll definitely check it out!

5. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, I'll never forget the horrid 'mugshot' quizzes my teachers put me through. Although to this day I still hardly know how to use commas and semicolons.

I'm not quite sure I understand it either, but I suppose it's a decent alternative to him/her pronouns that doesn't assume plurality. I'm sure it makes more sense to people who prefer gender neutral pronouns such as ze/zir/zen. The only people I knew who used gender neutral pronouns were on the debate circuit.

Destin likes this.