1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Hugh Step part 2

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by looking for me, Jul 8, 2014.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i met with some ladies from the local LGBT community and i was so nervous but they were fantastic. they know so many of the community in my area and have said they are going to "walk me" into this community and help me grow and be me. a new journey, so exciting and so scary at the same time.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you and for your "Coming In"; always best to acquire mentors on this adventure!

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks Great Whale. it seems sooo hugh right now but i hope its just a little hill on the other side so to speak

4. CyclingFan

Lol, I happened to be hitting quite a dip and realizing that, hey, I bet the lgbt center can help...right when they're closed for 9 days...

Oh well, dealin. Helps that I've had a really nice time out. Well, out as out, really. :slight_smile:

5. BeingEarnest

That is a huge step.
    I had a similar experience today. I was recently told of a colleague who is gay, and I sent him an telling my story and asking if I could talk with him. He sent a beautiful reply telling me his story. We got together today and talked all afternoon. Since I started coming out 3 months ago, I have mostly talked to straight friends and family- and one gay friend by email and phone. But talking in person is so much different.
    Later as I drove home, I felt a peace within that I cannot explain, like I could accept myself in a deeper way, and even respect myself for coming out.

6. CyclingFan

That's awesome. Congrats

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats totally awesome. my trepidation i guess is that my son doesn't know yet neither do my elderly parents or my work place. my closet has a window but it's two way glass:lol: no one can see in. i have to come out to the kid as soon as i can, letting the divorce dust settle first. but baby steps, ever forward.

8. HTBO

It's great when you can meet people who are not straight and can relate to your experiences and to know you are not alone. I love my straight friends, and they are very supportive, but...I need people like me:slight_smile:

9. BeingEarnest

There was a moment, when my new friend talked about what it is like as a gay man, and said 'we'. I could have melted. In coming out, it feels like I have been cut off from the life I knew before- the language that people use (my wife, friends, ... All people in trust) has changed subtly. I went from being part of we and us, to being a 'you'. It is a subtle change, and I don't think it is intentional, but it signaled to me that I am different. At least different from the me they knew before. It is very comforting to be with some one who does not see me as different.
    Looking- I hope your new friends invite you into fellowship with others who have walked this road, and can understand where you are coming from.

10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Earnest, thanks. they've invited me in. they've said there may be a BBQ coming up soon or they could set up a smaller group so i don't get overwhelmed and i appreciated that. they described themselves as on all head and one all heart. the cool part of that is that they work well together. they are going to introduce me to both men and women and i guess we'll see where it will go....

11. BeingEarnest

That sounds wonderful!
    I am also waiting to tell my son. And wanting to do so. But both his therapist and mine recommend my being more comfortable with myself, and that at his age, he wouldn't understand yet anyways.
    Maybe being introduced to more people will help you be better able to talk to your child.

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    how old is your son Ernest? mine is a teenager.