1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A daughter's gift to her gay dad

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Spaceman, May 26, 2017.

1. Spaceman

Last night, I was reading to my 11 year old daughter before bedtime and, out of the blue, she asked me if it was OK to tell her friends that I'm gay. I asked what prompted the question and she said a girl at school had called another girl a lesbian in a mean way. My daughter said she wanted to respond that it was offensive and, to emphasize the point, to say that her own dad is in fact gay.

I told her I was so proud of her for wanting to stand up for her principles. I told her it's her decision if she wants to tell her friends I'm gay and that it's fine with me because it's not a secret and nothing to be ashamed of.

I also advised her that some mean kids may use it as something to tease her about and asked her how she'd feel about that. Without hesitation, she said she wouldn't mind at all. She is such a brave and confident girl! I told her it was hard for me to be a confident kid, knowing there was something different about me, and that I admired the confidence I see in her.

I also advised her that if she tells people, they may start spreading it around the school as gossip and I asked her how she'd feel about that. Again, she said emphatically that she wouldn't mind. She said if someone approached her trying to confirm the rumor, she would simply tell them that, yes her dad is gay and there's nothing wrong with that. So proud of my amazing little girl!

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My 19 year old asked if she could flag my partner as her stepfather on Facebook because "that's how I think of him and that's how I describe him." My 16 year old invites us to school functions together and isn't at all shy about hugging him or letting friends know who he is. There are amazing things happening these days. And congratulations to you on having a wonderful daughter!

3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's always great to see how strong our kids can be and at such a young age. My girls are the same way and I know they've told some of their friends as well. Like you, I wasn't a confident child (or adult for that matter) and it is just wonderful to watch your kids blossom into strong, open minded young people

4. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! That's an amazing daughter you have. She is really mature for her age.