1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A blog for finding a job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mihael, May 9, 2019.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there

Since I've been struggling to get a job, I was thinking how to better market myself and came up with the idea of writing a blog, since my writing is decent and an advantage. So I made a blog and I began. But I wonder about one thing. By no means am I an expert. What should I write about? I'm in the middle of university and study computer science. I lack interesting projects, which might be a disadvantage when looking for a job. I just do projects for class and they are, well, for learners. But I am a good student and know what I should know, on the contrary to many other people in my grade. Any tips what to write about? The purpose of the blog is rather for it to be for potential employers to read rather than to be popular in the internet. I feel like I have nothing very interesting to say, since I'm not an expert. Nor do I do anything impressive like, I can't build a website and never built an app with a practical purpose. I think I could do the latter but it would take me some time and learning, not like I'd make it in a snapshot. But I know all the basics needed for it.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in HR in the tech world. My advice is to work on your coding and have a GitHub or a portfolio to show off what you know. If you want to be a developer, the people hiring you will hire you based on your programming more so than your writing. That's where I'd start. Also posting about what you're doing on LinkedIn will get you noticed as well.

Mihael likes this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mhm. I'm working on knowing how to use GitHub.

I know that about writing, I simply hoped it could work to my advantage in showing that I'm capable of coding anything, because I see people with smaller skills than mine getting hired.

Thanks about suggesting posting on LinkedIn.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy to help! Let me know if I can answer anything else for you. I'm not technical but I know about getting hired in the industry.

Your writing skills will pay off when it comes time to writing cover letters and documenting processes, so it's good that you can write well.

5. smurf

Read the advice above. Its cool that you know so much and you are confident about your abilities, but can you prove it? That's kind of what it comes down to and that's what a portfolio does for you.

The blog itself will not land you a job, but I do think you have an interesting idea here and I think you should create something. Lean into that curiosity to write about something.

If I were you, I would make a blog from the perspective of a student wanting to get into the industry. I would interview local professionals who are doing exactly what you are doing, ask them for advice, learn about how they got their first job, and then apply said advice.

So the format would be

- Interview of said person
    - Blog about you implementing the advice of said person
    - Rinse and repeat

Do this for two reasons. 1) you get to create a blog which I think you will have fun with and that is sufficient reason. Fun and joy are good reasons to create things 2) you will get to meet potential mentors in your field and get good advice on what to do to get a job.

That way, even if the blog doesn't get popular or gets you a job, you are still getting something really cool about it all.

Since you are trans, and idea might also be seeking out other trans people in the industry and learn how they have not only gotten into the industry, but also navigated being trans in the industry.

But yeah, have fund with it!

Mihael likes this.
  6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure :slight_smile: I can't come up with anything roght now, but I'll remember when I'll have questions.

Thanks for the idea. It's a good one. I'll see if I can come up with something alog these lines too.

Yeah, doing something enjoyable is enough of a reason. :slight_smile:

Fun fact: IT is the stereotypical occupation of trans women.