1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit of a setback.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Miiaaaaa, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry to be spamming you lovely people with threads, but I found something out today.

I was at Wetherspoon's with my housemates and we were talking about the C.L.A.S.H society, in which there is a MtF trans woman, and we were talking about something she'd said at the bonfire night BBQ... Fine. But my housemate was reffering to her as he... I instantly corrected him, because of obvious reasons to which he replied... "Fuck off 'she', just because a guy wears a bra, doesn't mean it's a she."

I was devastated. And I felt bad for selfish reasons. :frowning2:
    I knew he wasn't her biggest fan, but I realised that I could never come out while he's in the house. So if I were to come out, it couldn't be until July at the earliest, without fracturing what we've got going in the household.

When he said that, I really didn't know what to say back, I was in stunned silence! :frowning2:
    I mean, she's a really nice girl and if he can't even except her, the fuck? You know?

Sorry for another rant, just really needed to get this out there!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "And I felt bad for selfish reasons."

No you didn't. You felt bad because he indirectly insulted you, don't try and tell yourself you should feel bad because your housemate was a dick!

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd have punched him in the face by impulse if I had been there and he said that to me. I'm not even MtF and this angers me. Not saying it would have been okay, but I know how I would have reacted :\

4. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ouch. Maybe you can change their mind? I want to be optimistic about things. If you challenge their view, they might change it or at least not push it?

5. OK, I'm a gay guy and i've never questioned my gender at all.

I'll be absolutely honest with you - I don't really have any understanding as to what it would be like to be trapped in the wrong body. I've got no reference points & nothing in my own experience I can use to relate to it. Your friends comment is exactly the sort of thing I could have said when I was 21 - even though i'm gay and should really know better!

It's a comment I could have made (maybe I did?) without putting any thought into it.

But I've educated myself a bit (mostly reading threads on here) recently and I at least now understand how much of a journey you transgendered peeps been on just to get to where you are. Noone would go through that just for sh*ts and giggles.

I think if you opened up to your housemates, there's a good chance they'll change their mind. They'll have a billion questions, but if they accept you as a friend now, they'll probably accept you (and refer to you) as your true gender. They'll believe you - it will just take a bit of educating.

I know I would accept any of my friends if they were trans. And I'm pretty sure I would have back when I was 21, too.

#5 uniqueusername3, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the kind words. :slight_smile:
    He was a complete dick about it. But I don't really know what to do about it. Other than be completely conservative about this. :'(

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2014 at 01:11 AM ----------

Also, maybe. My housemates might be ok, but this guy is halting it all. :frowning2:

He's a decent mate, but on the whole, he doesn't get it.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know many people who did get it until they had a reason to...

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Fair enough! I apologise again for my little rant.
    I get that he doesn't understand, and he's probably not going to without researching it.
    I guess I'll have to see what happens if/when I come out. :slight_smile:

9. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You can talk to them about it before you come out cant you? I know many people will assume that if you care about LGBT then you must be LGBT. (I explained what the T meant to my parents and my mom snarled back if I was one.) You could have a conversation with him about the other girl and explain why you support their choice and why you think he should too.

10. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    They know that I've been to a few LGBT events and that I'm gonna go to a lot more. Whether they think something is up, I dunno. But think I'm gonna keep it all hidden for now. At least until I get a referral. :slight_smile:

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is it with people and apologising for ranting! :grin:

Next time it comes up just switch his pronouns for a while and start calling him Kate.

EDIT: I THINK I meant that as a joke!

12. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha, I'll have to try that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: