1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A beggar comes up to ask you for change. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ignore beggars. If they approach me, then I say no. Most of our beggars are scammers. My country has a decent welfare system and lots of charities

It's terrible that people pretend to be homeless. I feel angry when I think about people they've scammed... many kind folk aren't exactly rolling in cash. I'd love to give fake money note tissues to scammers, but they'd be able to tell the difference from the material ^^;

2. Bearsona

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I happen to live in an area where beggars in general have a rep of actually having a home and living off welfare, actually choosing not to work. So I don't spare a cent or a look to them.

3. timo

It depends on how punk they look. Honestly. We have so many beggars and homeless people here in Berlin and I can't give money to everyone. I only give some change to left wing punks.

Got scammers too but you recognize them from a mile away.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually just tell them I have no change and walk on.

On cold days I've occasionally bought hot drinks and had a chat with homeless people I see regularly, whom I know to be sleeping it rough, but I honestly don't feel a deep personal obligation to give money. I don't think it's particularly effective in alleviating their circumstances and it would always really be about gratifying myself.

A middle-class student tossing money to the poor does not an altruist make.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used too, but I don't anymore. Most are out for a quick buck or pulling in more than I do. I actually had a woman scream at me, when when I offered to just fill her freakin car up instead of hand her cash. Pro tip, don't ask for gas money then turn down people who will give you gas instead of cash.

6. Fedora Mun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would offer them food, but never money since you don't know if that money is actually going to food or if it's going to drugs and booz

7. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Usually when someone asks me for money I say no because I'm afraid of stopping and talking to random men on the street. (only men ask me usually) But that goes for any random man... homeless or not homeless.

Once I was in a big city and 2 guys came into a donut shop and asked if I could get them some orange juice or something. I ended up getting them some donuts, milk, and orange juice. I am totally cool with helping people out if I have the money. I just get afraid of helping out random people on the street because I'm a young woman and young women are often targeted.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This actually happened to me a couple years back when I was living in the dorms. Someone came up to the Ashtray (smokers table, long story short) asking us for money for gas using a story like she needed money to get home or some shit like that. I did not have any money and I don't carry cash. The next night, I was chilling at the Ashtray and the same person came up using the same exact story. I simply said, "no I don't have any money." As the person was asking my friends for money I was shaking my head no. She then asked me why I was shaking my head no and I simply said, we're college students, we don't have any money either.

I was also walking with my friend to Jack in the Box and we encountered a beggar. We got to the place, told the employee there was a beggar outside and he simply replied, "oh he's out there every night."

I know this makes me sound like a cold-hearted bitch, but considering those two incidences, I would not give a beggar change or groceries or whatever.

9. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Am I weird..
    My heart lunges and tears roll down my eyes, then I proceed to empty my pockets for food, clothes, pillows, water etc.
    I may be different considering I GREW UP homeless.. (Inside I'm going you snobby son of a MMMMPPHH so sorry but I really grew up homeless :l )

You can tell a scam a mile away, they want money more then food/clothes/water/fluffed bunnies... SO please, look at homeless with a bit more heart... not all of them where.... not all of us where drug dealers.. don't assume one person begging is a reason to hate all of them. We are short on our lucks, and for please just hear our stories, at least. I made it out through a number of means, but not everyone will be able to do that.

10. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Normally I would ask them if they'd like food instead and offer to go buy it for them. I wish I'd be able to give them money but sadly you just can't be sure about their intentions and if they're being completely honest.

11. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would never give money to a beggar; you don't know if they're for real or not. Even if I knew they were, I'm not made of money. I scrape by as it is. I'm my own charity.