1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 Years Later and Still Questioning

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tai, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (Warning: this post is super long, sorry!)

Hi, I joined EmptyClosets back in 2014 as a high schooler confused about my gender identity and sexual orientation (questioning bi vs straight). I was more wrapped up in my gender identity issues at the time, AFAB questioning whether I was a transman. I got therapy for a couple years to try and figure it all out and never reached a conclusion while in therapy, but rather, several years after I quit therapy with that counselor. It took me many years of reflection and attempting to partially transition to realize I am not trans but just a tomboyish cis female whose transgender questionings were just manifestations of trauma in disguise.

As gender identity was my main concern back then, figuring out my sexuality naturally took a backseat during those years. Additionally, a year after I started questioning everything/joined EC, I got into my first (and only) relationship which happened to be a straight one and turned into a long-term commitment of about 6 years, lasting from my final year of high school all the way until post-undergrad, where I am now. Being in a happy relationship made exploring and experimenting my sexuality obsolete, although I did struggle with wanting to figure it out through experimentation while also staying faithful to my partner at the time. This yearning caused conflict between us sometimes, but in the end I upheld my integrity and abstained from exploring sexuality with other people. I split from him about a year ago (for reasons unrelated to these conflicts). Needless to say, my time away from EC was during a major developmental period in the lifespan involving all my undergraduate years and my first relationship, and therefore I feel quite different from when I was last active on EC. But, I guess not different enough to forget about these forums, haha! :sweat_smile: And also not different enough to become confident in my sexual identity.

I know for sure I am attracted to males, and I think I am to females too, but not certain at all and experiencing a lot of doubt. In middle school I had a crush on an openly gay girl in the grade level below me. The fact that she was openly gay was a big deal because I went to a tiny school with almost no one "out" and so she was the only gay person I knew back then. It was a very surface-level crush – butterflies, heat rushing to my face, heart racing, shy, etc. This was my first crush and I had a few others in high school but not comparable to this one. I didn’t act on it at all before or during my relationship. I had several more crushes throughout university on other girls in my classes, but were fairly weak and also didn’t act on these. However, several months after my relationship ended (within the past year), I shared some sexual experiences with my first female crush from middle school and a lot of feelings of attraction resurfaced despite being many years from when they first originated. This did feel *partially* like the confirmation I had been seeking for so long, but I still have powerful voices of doubt in my head that make me unable to fully embrace bisexuality, if that’s what I truly am; some may be irrational, I’m not sure. I’ll list them out…

1. Even though the physical sensations of attraction were naturally there, like finding her appearance “hot,” wanting to hold hands, touch, cuddle, arousal, lust, etc., I ended up taking a step back from the whole situation because I didn’t have enough romantic attraction to desire a relationship. She is not someone I could see myself marrying. Since this was the first same-sex experience I’ve had, I don’t know if that indicates I only feel sexual/physical attraction to females but not romantic? Or, is it just because I don’t feel this particular female is right for me in terms of having a deep relationship with them, creating a real bond, getting married, etc.? There has never been a female in my life that I was both physically attracted to and also had a deep bond with, it’s always been either one or the other – but I don’t know if this just means I haven’t found the right person yet.

2. This girl was the beginning of my questioning. Before then, I have no memories of being attracted to females whatsoever, only males (although through my life I have always wished for a deeper connection in my friendships, including those with girls, but this may be just due to my personality). I wonder, did I get a crush on her and start wondering if I was bisexual ONLY because I knew she was gay and she was the first exposure to the LGBT community I had? (In other words, did I learn that “girls can like girls” for the first time and condition myself to get aroused by them?) I think it's also important to mention that all the crushes I had on other females after her were people of unknown sexual orientation.

3. What if I am legitimately attracted to the same sex but only for that one person?

4. Whenever I have lust for a male and fantasize about us being intimate, it feels okay, but when I do this with a female in mind, it feels icky, like I’m a disgusting pervert? Is this normal? I don’t know why it’s worse when I think of females in this context but maybe because I know they’re straight and if that situation were real, it’d be one-sided/nonconsensual? I don’t feel this way when I fantasize about the girl that I have already shared experiences with.

5. As far as what physical features of females arouse me, basically everything except the genitals, but this could also be because I’m inexperienced? All the physical features of males arouse me however.

6. What if I just want to be bi for attention?

7. I have the fear of missing out/being left out pretty badly and sometimes I wonder if I somehow conditioned myself to be attracted to females in order to “not miss out.”

A couple of other self-doubts that are confusing me and holding me back from identifying as bi:

1. Last year I was diagnosed with ADHD and severe anxiety. I have always been living deep inside my head and my thoughts since I was young. Maybe this has caused me to ruminate on my sexual orientation when I’m actually just straight.

2. Generally, I am very cautious, indecisive, and unsure of myself in all aspects of my life. I am the type of person who still has doubt about things even when there may be ample evidence, and take forever to go through with an action. (For example, I had been thinking about getting a tattoo and weighing the pros and cons but in the end it took me 4 years to decide to go through with it! Whereas for other people, I know they could probably make a decision like that very spontaneously.)

I don’t even know if what I’m writing makes sense at this point, when I think about it this hard my thoughts just become a jumbled mess. Thank you so much if you’ve taken the time to read all this, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I guess I’m just hoping to gain insight about the validity/rationality of these concerns from a third party who can possibly see through all my brain fog. And if the big picture gives you more of an impression that I’m either bi or straight and confused.

2. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello @Tai

There’s no need to apologise for your long post. It’s ok. I’ve read through it twice and I hope I don’t miss anything out. I was going to answer by inserting each of your points and then answering but I somehow lost the method of being able to do that so instead I’ve answered each part of your post in order as I’ve gone along. I hope it all makes sense for you.

I can only compare your experiences to my own in the hope that it gives you an insight into how it can be when attempting to figure out your sexuality.

First of all, I’ll point out that I’m middle aged and it took until I was well into my 30s before I finally figured out and accepted that I loved women and at that time identified as bisexual. I’d been with a man for over twenty years. I was married to him.

Your crushes, feeling the rushes, fast heartbeats etc suggests to me that you are definitely physically/sexually attracted to women but when you speak of not having a romantic attraction to any of them, this just means to me that you haven’t met a woman yet who you felt emotionally bonded to as well as being sexually attracted to.

For years I used to look at women and feel those racing heart beats and crazy attractions for them, but I hadn’t got close enough to any of them to feel a romantic bonding. The women I was emotionally close to, I never felt a sexual attraction for. So I always questioned just like you are doing, as to whether I was truly bisexual. This is why it got left so late in my life and why I never bothered to do anything about it. Until wham, well in my 30s I fell in love with a woman who was lesbian. The whole package. I had my question answered finally! That’s when I came out.

Then over time I realised that the more I was freely able to express my attraction (romantic and sexually) to women, my attraction to men faded completely. I changed my label many years down the line to lesbian.

I think that you haven’t met the right woman yet who you feel a romantic bond with along with those physical attraction feelings at the same time. This is what is throwing you into confusion as it did with me at first.

I think you allowed yourself to feel for the gay girl because you knew you could do. She was gay so you didn’t feel anything bad about yourself for allowing yourself to let go with your feelings for her. This possibly opened up that side of you because you could allow yourself to do it. This then allowed you to feel those attractions for other girls even though you didn’t know their sexualities. There are lots of older women (I have friends who this happened to) who never felt attracted to women all their life but they suddenly got feelings for a woman who was lesbian. Then after that they realise they felt attraction towards women.

When you say about feeling like a disgusting pervert when you think of lust for a woman, I feel this is your inner battle telling you that it’s not possible to feel this way for a woman who might be straight because you feel it’s wrong to do so. You felt ok about it with the one who was gay because you knew she has attraction to women so that makes it ok to feel that way for her. I think It makes you feel bad when you are attracted to a woman who isn’t gay. Like you shouldn’t even go there.

I agree when you say you’re attracted to everything on a woman aside from the genitals, that perhaps it’s because of your inexperience. I had the same thoughts until I was actually able to physically be with a woman and those thoughts then changed.

I doubt you’re thinking you are bi just for attention. Your physical attraction to women has been real.

I don’t think you’ve had attraction to women because you don’t want to miss out. Attraction is either there or it’s not. It can’t be forced.

I also have ADHD and I’m the most indecisive person regarding everything in my life. I ponder, I swap and change, I take years to make decisions on some things. Just look at how long it took me to finally decide I loved women. Those feelings were always there though. I just pondered over them for so many years until I got the romantic attraction for that woman along with the physical attraction. That was the deciding factor for me.

What you’ve written makes total sense to me since I have been through it myself. My own mind has been a jumbled mess in the past. I, too was dealing with gender issues that took over the sexuality part. I couldn’t find a label for my gender. I didn’t know if I was FTM because I felt so masculine. I eventually settled on non binary. I’m happy to be in my female body but the non binary label seemed to fit.

Remember too that whatever labels you decide to keep for yourself, they can always be changed as you go through your journey.

To sum all this up, I think you’re bisexual but you just haven’t met a woman yet who you feel those romantic feelings for alongside the physical attraction.

I hope I didn’t miss any main points out. Let me know if I have. I hope my reply has helped somewhat.

I’m certain that others will input their own thoughts as well.

#2 Sunchimes, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    Rayland, Tai, BiGemini87 and 2 others like this.
  3. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What you describe sounds like bisexuality: experiencing attraction (romantic or sexual) to both sexes makes you bisexual. Not all bi people are attracted to both sexes in the same way, and some lean more to one than the other. Even if you were only ever attracted to one person of the same sex in your life, you’d still be bi.

I relate to not being attracted to women’s genitals specifically. I’m exactly the same, even though I lean heavily towards women. There could be an underlying reason for it? For example, I realised my own aversion to them likely stems from several personal issues: such as the way I see my own body, and certain “odd” fears that I have. But even so, not being attracted to a person’s genitals doesn’t mean you don’t experience genuine attraction to them! Attraction is more than sex or certain body parts. Heck, I’ve even known of straight women who are repulsed by penis.

It is also a common stereotype that bisexuals all just want attention, especially bi women (as they are often fetishised). It can be easy to internalise this kind of thing and begin to believe it about yourself. But nobody is forcing you to experience these feelings for women, not even yourself. A straight person wouldn’t be having the same thoughts as you. I second what Sunchimes said here:
    Another thing is, feeling “perverted” when fantasising about women is common amongst lesbians and bisexuals. Again, it often comes from being exposed to harmful rhetoric (such as lesbians/bi women being “predatory” or “unnatural”). Again, these things are totally untrue: there is nothing wrong with being a woman who desires other women. It may be less common but that doesn’t make it less natural.

I’m also very indecisive and am constantly over-thinking things. I have anxiety as well — it’s always a fun mix. With knowing what I know, I still sometimes have doubts about my own bisexuality. Even though I’ve only ever had serious crushes on women and have only been attracted to the bodies of fictional men as opposed to real men, I think “what if I’m just forcing myself and I’m straight in denial?” or “I haven’t had feelings for a woman in a while… what if I was just imagining it the whole time?” :upside_down:

I think maybe due to the nature (and sometimes fluidity) of bisexuality, we may always go through periods of questioning ourselves. But in all, pretty much everything you’ve described is something another bi person would have experienced! So you’re not alone. And from what it sounds, not straight, no matter how your brain may try to twist things haha

4. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all!

This was me for a while, except reversed. Part of the challenge is it's not always 50/50, in fact it probably almost never is. I've only known I was bi for about 4-5 years and am only now getting fully and completely comfortable with it.

For me part of it is I feel stronger attractions towards women than I do to men and one of the ways I was able to hide it from myself was along the lines of "Well I'm definitely attracted to women so this occasional feeling I have about a guy isn't really anything."

This will come back into play a bit later in the post.

This sounds a bit what I was talking about, though maybe your thoughts on it were much more direct than mine were.

All good questions. It's worth pointing out that wanting to have sex with someone is not the same as wanting to have a relationship with them. For most people the two are tied together but (generally) it's absolutely possible to have one without the other.

That's hard to say. There can be all sorts of things going on in our minds that color how we perceive something. It's possible her being gay colored your views on how you felt about her. It's also possible that (like me, but reversed) being attracted to men made you discount the possibility that you were attracted to women (and factoring in the societal pressure that you should like men on top of that). This stuff can be tricky to unpack, I know it took me a while.

That can happen. I think most people would still consider that 'bi' but I could see why someone in that position would still see themselves as strictly gay or straight.

More good questions. Does it feel icky because you just don't like it or because it makes you a 'pervert'?

It also sounds like you're having issues if you think the people you're fantasizing about wouldn't reciprocate and don't have those concerns with the one that you did. That may be a factor.

Either way it took me a while to get used to the idea that yes, I want to have sex with a man... because it just felt wrong going against the standard that society set. It's hard enough for people who are strictly interested in the same sex, many of whom wind up in relationships or marriages to the opposite gender and take a while to figure that out, and adding in legitimate attraction to the opposite gender on top of that can make it harder to put the pieces together.

It could also just be your preferences and it's all valid. We're all different.

Those are questions that are hard to address from the outside. I think that's something you'd want to have some self-reflection on and/or maybe talk with a therapist, if appropriate.

But if I may suggest, they sound to me like they could very easily just be rationalizations rather than true concerns.

Well, whatever reason you're thinking about it, it's worth exploring. Again it sounds like this might just be an attempt at a rationalization.

Thinking things through is completely fine. I don't think that's a reason to doubt by itself. It's a reason to be true to yourself and think things through.

Well, I don't think any of us can answer that question for you. If I had to guess based just on this, while our situations are quite different I see some of myself in this (though from the opposite viewpoint of course) and you may be similar to me, bisexual with a stronger attraction towards the opposite gender that clouds your feelings a bit from your feelings towards the same gender.

That said, again, only you can answer that question and it may take a lot of self-reflection and/or experimentation.

Either way, best of luck with that, I hope you do figure it out one way or another. This site is a great resource with a lot of great people in it. One other thing I can say about my experience is once I fully accepted this part of me, I felt a lot more whole and complete.

Tai and Sunchimes like this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, @Tai! Others have already been helpful, but hopefully I can help you work through these points, as well. :slight_smile:

Firstly, it's worth noting that there's no evidence that the split model of attraction (romantic/sexual) exists. Usually if someone is dealing with an absence of one or the other, it comes down to some sort of blockage. I think it's normal to experience one before the other, but once you know someone, you typically experience both. So if you aren't, something bigger is likely at play here. It could come down to past non-romantic relationships: friendships, familial relationships, etc. Any number of things can contribute to the blockage, but once you figure out what it is, you can work through it.

I completely get where you're coming from. This is something I grappled with, too: wanting to have better female friendships, wondering if I was only attracted to someone because I knew they weren't straight, etc. But conversely, the question of whether her being gay was a deciding factor could be turned on its head to say, "What if she's the reason I realized this truth about myself?" I understand that people can condition themselves into thinking they're any orientation but what they actually are--we see this with gay/lesbian individuals who enter into opposite-sex partnerships and on occasion, we see it with straight people. The difference being, of course, that LGBT people aren't the status quo and thus, seek to be part of it out of shame, fear, or disgust.

The orientation of the girls you've had crushes on following this one are irrelevant; we can't help being attracted to people, even if we know they aren't in our dating pool. What we're experiencing comes from something deeper, more fundamental.

This is possible. Cases like this, while not common, do crop up from time to time. That being said? You yourself have admitted to having crushes on others, so I think it's safe to say that's not the case.

This could be one of two things, or even a combination of both. 1) You might be dealing with some internalized homophobia/biphobia, hence the feeling of being "icky", or 2) It boils down to not wanting to make advances on unwilling parties, which is admirable and understandable--but when it comes to fantasies, you have nothing to feel guilty for/ashamed of. Fantasies are harmless, so long as you remember that that's all they are.

This is something I can understand, as well. Early on, a short while before coming out to myself, I held onto the idea that I was disgusted by female genitals. I don't think lack of experience is the only issue in your case, because I myself have not had any, yet I've overcome the shame/disgust. I think, however, the disparity between how you feel about the male body versus the female one comes down to how long you've been able to embrace your attraction to one over the other. When we're attracted to the opposite sex, there's a lot less to process because as I said before, we're meeting the status quo. Straight people/couples have challenges like anyone of any other orientation, but the one thing they don't have to grapple with is the shame, ridicule, or hostility we're met with in certain societies. It sounds to me like you're still trying to come to terms with being anything other than straight, and that's okay. You have nothing to feel ashamed of. It takes time.

This definitely sounds like internalized biphobia. I think it's fair to say if not all of us, most of us of the bisexual persuasion have dealt with this at one point or another.

In the end, we can't make ourselves be attracted to anyone. We can convince ourselves, sure--but I think it's fair to say your experiences and attractions are genuine.

I could argue that, if these conditions are at the root of your questioning (they may very well be), that they are responsible for you having a harder time coming to terms with/realizing that you aren't straight.

Yet another thing I can empathize with. Those of us who live in our heads agonize about a lot. One positive aspect of this, though? Once you make a decision/realize something, you can do so knowing you've put a lot of thought into it and have no regrets.

I can't tell you that you are bisexual; that's something only you can do. But I can say that, based on everything you've said in your post, on your feelings for this girl and how it's created this chain reaction, that I believe you are. I hope I've helped in some way, maybe even allayed some of your doubts and fears. If you ever need someone to talk to, my inbox is always open. :slight_smile:

Rayland, Sunchimes, Tai and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, I didn't expect anyone to mirror my experience so much (or I guess, for me to mirror someone else's experience), even down to the gender questioning. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me - it is so good to see that my path, however full of doubt and worry it is, even has the possibility of resolving and allowing me to be self-confident in my bisexual identity in the future. I really would like to find a woman someday that I can love both in the emotional sense and the physical sense and your story has given me hope and validation that yes, my brain is capable of this when the time comes, and I can't say what a relief that is to me!!!

It is so interesting that once you discovered your attraction to women, your attraction to men faded, especially after being with one for so long. I can't imagine losing my attraction to males since I have always been aware of that within me, but you possibly felt the same way - did coming out as lesbian (as opposed to bisexual) cause any further feelings of self-doubt/confusion or was it much clearer by that point what you needed to identify as?

The woman you fell in love with that helped you realize everything - how did that end? Are you married to her now?

You definitely hit all my points and more. Reading your experience and getting an outside viewpoint on my doubts/worries has assured me so much, really appreciate your thoughtfulness!

#6 Tai, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Sunchimes likes this.
  7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the clarification on bisexuality and what it entails - it is reassuring to know that even if I never come across a female that I have both emotional and sexual attraction to, the past evidence of having those attractions separately for different people would still be enough to accurately identify as bi. I think I am just way too scared of inaccurately calling myself something I'm not and my anxiety makes me doubt my validity to the extremes.

Those thoughts you have while doubting your own bisexuality sound EXACTLY like mine, for sure! I, too, get insecure about it particularly when my attraction has not been focused on females lately (in my case, more male-leaning rather than the absence of attraction in general). I am glad my experience sounds typical of a worried bisexual to you!

Sunchimes and bambibat like this.
  8. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You’re welcome! You’ll be surprised at how many others have gone through/are going through this too. Over the years when I’ve needed support I’ve met so many with such similar stories. You’re definitely not alone.

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t meet a woman who you will bond with emotionally and physically. It will happen, usually when you least expect it to. Your mindset seems to be in the right place and you’re heading in the right direction :slight_smile:

I found it to be an amazing part of my journey that once I came out about my attraction towards women, there was eventually a shift in my sexuality. I identified as bisexual at first because I’d been attracted to men. But for me I had extremely strong emotional attraction to women as well as physical attraction. Women also saw (and still see) the “boy” side of me which kind of sealed the deal. Over time I began to see handsome guys but instead of wanting to be with them I wanted to “be” them lol. However, I’m quite happy not to transition and just remain non binary.

Alas, that relationship didn’t last due to circumstances. We were both married people at the time and our situations made it impossible to continue in a relationship with each other because of that. She and I had a lot of sorting out to do in our own lives. It took many years for me to process this huge change and to get to a place where I was free, so that I could have relationships with women and be my own person.

I am so glad that my own experience has helped you. I’m in a happy place now. For many years my labels switched and I couldn’t settle but I’m very happy with how I identify now and my life is sorted. It’s not been an easy road to get here but I’m here and I’m ok! You will be too :slight_smile: The advantage you have as well is that you’re much younger so you have even more time than I did to figure things out :slight_smile:

Tai likes this.
  9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh that for sure was my case too with the 50/50 thing. Especially when I got into my first relationship and then I was pretty focused on males for a while and my thoughts about females were so uncertain - and paired with the fact that I was, at that time, in a heterosexual relationship, society would have me think that there is no need for me to delve deeper into my attraction to females because "You're already happy with a male, what more could you want?"

I'm not sure how to do the individual quote thing so I will just copy and paste what you've said that I'm replying to. :sweat_smile:

"That's hard to say. There can be all sorts of things going on in our minds that color how we perceive something. It's possible her being gay colored your views on how you felt about her. It's also possible that (like me, but reversed) being attracted to men made you discount the possibility that you were attracted to women (and factoring in the societal pressure that you should like men on top of that). This stuff can be tricky to unpack, I know it took me a while."
    Tricky for sure. What you've said here made me realize that I have met several lesbians in person in my lifetime, but never felt as strong of a physical attraction to them as I did with the first lesbian, which would indicate that knowing about the first one being gay would unlikely color my view on her and attraction to her... but then again, maybe that is canceled out by the fact that she was the first one and therefore it had a much bigger impact on me? It seems improbable but I guess that is something I will probably wonder about for a long time from now.

"More good questions. Does it feel icky because you just don't like it or because it makes you a 'pervert'?
    It also sounds like you're having issues if you think the people you're fantasizing about wouldn't reciprocate and don't have those concerns with the one that you did. That may be a factor.
    Either way it took me a while to get used to the idea that yes, I want to have sex with a man... because it just felt wrong going against the standard that society set. It's hard enough for people who are strictly interested in the same sex, many of whom wind up in relationships or marriages to the opposite gender and take a while to figure that out, and adding in legitimate attraction to the opposite gender on top of that can make it harder to put the pieces together."
    Definitely because it makes me a disgusting pervert haha. In fantasies I may be able to imagine being in an erotic situation with women I'm crushing on, but if I don't know their sexuality, my mind defaults it to "straight" and I can only imagine them being uncomfortable/fearful/disgusted (which of course is a big turn off and ends up making me feel guilty for even thinking of the situation in the first place).

"Either way, best of luck with that, I hope you do figure it out one way or another. This site is a great resource with a lot of great people in it. One other thing I can say about my experience is once I fully accepted this part of me, I felt a lot more whole and complete."
    Thank you, I do feel with this whole thread that I am one step closer to accepting this part of me as you have done and I already feel loads better about it!

Sunchimes likes this.
  10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does this "blockage" you're referring to mean that, if someone feels just sexual but not emotional attraction (or vice versa) to a person of the same sex, it is likely that they can be fully attracted to that sex (provided they were presented w/ the right individual) and the only reason they are not both sexually and emotionally attracted to this person is because of the blockage? If that's what you mean, I'm glad; to be honest the thought of being sexually attracted to females but not emotionally makes me uncomfortable and I hope is not the case (although if it turns out being, I would accept it to stay true to myself). I don't have problems with anyone else being bisexual (romantic w/ one sex, aromantic w/ the other), but for some reason for me personally it would bother me. I'm guessing because I would feel like I would only want women for their bodies and the whole "predator" thing would be the only thing I could imagine myself as and disgust myself. I guess that's probably some internalized aro-phobia that I need to work on. :confounded:

"I completely get where you're coming from. This is something I grappled with, too: wanting to have better female friendships, wondering if I was only attracted to someone because I knew they weren't straight, etc. But conversely, the question of whether her being gay was a deciding factor could be turned on its head to say, "What if she's the reason I realized this truth about myself?" I understand that people can condition themselves into thinking they're any orientation but what they actually are--we see this with gay/lesbian individuals who enter into opposite-sex partnerships and on occasion, we see it with straight people. The difference being, of course, that LGBT people aren't the status quo and thus, seek to be part of it out of shame, fear, or disgust.

The orientation of the girls you've had crushes on following this one are irrelevant; we can't help being attracted to people, even if we know they aren't in our dating pool. What we're experiencing comes from something deeper, more fundamental."
    That is very true, although I have noticed that I get surface-attracted to gay men pretty easily, but once I find out they are gay and realize I am not in their "target demographic," I may have some initial and brief disappoint but quickly move on and lose my attraction for them, or at least I feel like I have lost interest. So it feels as if knowing a crush's orientation does somewhat impact my level of attraction to them, but I don't know if that is just my mind tricking myself though because I know I couldn't pursue them. So in my case, wouldn't the orientations of the girls I have crushes on be somewhat relevant? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant by that?

Also something I wanted to mention in my original post but forgot was the whole "Do I want to BE her or be WITH her?" As someone who has struggled with self-esteem and confidence since as long as I can remember, when I started questioning my sexuality, I think I found it extremely difficult to differentiate these questions, making it harder to figure out my sexuality.

"This is something I can understand, as well. Early on, a short while before coming out to myself, I held onto the idea that I was disgusted by female genitals. I don't think lack of experience is the only issue in your case, because I myself have not had any, yet I've overcome the shame/disgust. I think, however, the disparity between how you feel about the male body versus the female one comes down to how long you've been able to embrace your attraction to one over the other. When we're attracted to the opposite sex, there's a lot less to process because as I said before, we're meeting the status quo. Straight people/couples have challenges like anyone of any other orientation, but the one thing they don't have to grapple with is the shame, ridicule, or hostility we're met with in certain societies. It sounds to me like you're still trying to come to terms with being anything other than straight, and that's okay. You have nothing to feel ashamed of. It takes time."
    OH, that does make a lot of sense! Especially considering I consume a lot of gay media, where seeing kissing, hand-holding, or any other form of attraction (other than sex itself) is becoming more and more acceptable and standard (as an example).

"This definitely sounds like internalized biphobia. I think it's fair to say if not all of us, most of us of the bisexual persuasion have dealt with this at one point or another."
    It may very well be internalized biphobia; it just came up because I know myself (in some ways haha) and I know my insecurities can manifest in a toxic need for attention/love. So it just made me wonder if this is one of the ways I am trying to fill that need, so to speak, by opening up to become "available" to more people. I know that sounds bad...

"Yet another thing I can empathize with. Those of us who live in our heads agonize about a lot. One positive aspect of this, though? Once you make a decision/realize something, you can do so knowing you've put a lot of thought into it and have no regrets.

I can't tell you that you are bisexual; that's something only you can do. But I can say that, based on everything you've said in your post, on your feelings for this girl and how it's created this chain reaction, that I believe you are. I hope I've helped in some way, maybe even allayed some of your doubts and fears. If you ever need someone to talk to, my inbox is always open. :slight_smile:"
    Yes, that is one thing I do feel relieved about when agonizing over something like this - knowing that it was worth it because I will have gotten as close to an informed and accurate conclusion as I will ever get. That tends to be how I operate on most things in my life and I'm guessing the same for you, since it looks like you're a chronic overthinker like me. :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your support, it helps immensely!!

Sunchimes likes this.
  11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I finally understand the quote thing now, a little late but better late than never haha!
    I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I'm also so glad you are in a better place now! I also unfortunately had to call things off with the girl that made me realize it all - we ended up dating but she had both emotional and physical attraction to me and since I couldn't reciprocate the emotional part I didn't feel right continuing and leading her to get hurt. We went back to just being friends. She will definitely always have a special place in my heart though, cheesy as it sounds, and I'm guessing your "first" will have a place in yours, too. :slight_smile:

To everyone who has replied here, thank you all again SO much, I was honestly surprised I'd get that much input and support!!! I really do appreciate all the feedback, which will be sitting in my mind for probably a while to come; but I can whole-heartedly say that I am feeling much more at ease with my situation, identifying as bisexual, and being patient with myself if I realize anything life-changing along the way that makes me reevaluate my identity! Seems like EC is still the awesome caring community it was when I was last here. :slight_smile:

bambibat, Sunchimes and BiShark like this.
  12. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a nice thing about this forum. I had someone respond to my first post saying that he was in a really similar place to me, and I've since found a few others. Helps to not feel alone!

It's pretty common. I have moments of feeling like a fraud with my attraction to both women and men! More often the latter, because I haven't ever had a male partner so I sometimes worry how I really know. I do really know, and accept that most of the time but doubts still sneak in sometimes.

I know where my mind goes can vary quite a lot. Sometimes I'll have guys on the brain all the time, sometimes I'll only think about women. Sometimes I go back and forth in the moment.

You just add additional quote tags for each section and put your replies in between. Sort of like this (using parens instead of brackets so it displays as text):

(quote)message.(/quote)

Reply.

(quote)message.(/quote)

Reply.

It's a lot easier to do this on a PC, though, than a phone or tablet so don't sweat it too much if it's a bother.

Good. I've still got lots to figure out, but I'm getting there.

13. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing I meant to add here...

Something I've realized that helps me to get past these feelings is when I see a woman I find attractive I never have second thoughts or doubts about that, even though I know it's very unlikely I will ever act on that attraction...

So why should I hold my attraction to a man to a different standard?

#13 BiShark, Apr 28, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  14. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s s great when we finally sus out how to do the quotes isn’t it? Lol

Forums like this are invaluable because there usually are people present who have been or who are going through the same things. Just getting that acknowledgment is reassurance in itself.

As for my first, yes she will always have a special place in my heart. I spoke to her recently after many years of not being in touch. Our dynamics were totally different. There were no romantic feelings, just a quick catch up and we parted ways in the knowledge that we’re both doing ok.

Tai and BiShark like this.
  15. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's essentially it, yeah. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but for most people, there's usually a reasonable explanation for why these two things don't always align. For example, I think many people have experienced physical attraction to someone without knowing them, but that once they do get to know that person, the attraction either diminishes based on new information (i.e. unreconcilable differences in character) or strengthens into something romantic based on mutual interest. The reason I mention physical and sexual as separate is because from personal experience, physical is the surface-level attraction that helps us zero in on a potential partner, kind of like an incomplete cousin to sexual attraction; so the difference between an acorn and an oak, so to speak. In your case, I can't say what might be creating the disparity between your attractions, aside from to think shame or issues with self-esteem might be the culprits.

I meant more that their orientations don't impact yours, but I do get what you mean about an initial attraction to someone, realizing they're not in your dating pool, and thereby not building the level of emotional investment you might have, had they been in said dating pool. I think it's how we stay sane, to be honest; finding someone to share your life with, short-term or long-term, is hard enough without agonizing over everyone we can't have, right? Though if you do detect a pattern in the types of people you're attracted to--say, women who are unavailable--then it could indicate something else entirely. Maybe there's a sense of security or comfort in allowing yourself to be attracted to certain types. But I can only speculate.

Oh my gods, this. As someone who's often struggled with the same, you have my sympathies. It certainly does make things a lot more confusing than they need to be. But with time, you will begin to differentiate between the two. :slight_smile:

It doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds very human, in fact, and I think it speaks a great deal to your character and your self-awareness that you've given it so much thought. If it's any consolation, I don't think you're doing it for attention or to make yourself more available to a wider range of people. I think those feelings just make you more aware of what you need/want.

I have every confidence you'll figure things out when you're ready, and I'm happy to help whenever I can. :slight_smile:

Tai, Sunchimes and BiShark like this.
  16. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, that's really valid and a good way to look at it!! I need to remember that one!

Sunchimes and BiShark like this.
  17. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Makes sense. And I totally know why I have a blockage with her, it's the first reason. I didn't know her that well but thought she was attractive appearance-wise, and as I got to know her a bit better I just realized there were a lot of things about her lifestyle and personality that weren't attractive to me to make an emotional connection. I knew that that's why I couldn't form that bond with her, but I think because girls I have found physically attractive and girls I have formed a deep emotional bond with have been basically exclusive (either physically or emotionally attractive) that's where I got worried about being aromantic to females or something.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses!! Really appreciated. :blush:

#17 Tai, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    BiGemini87 and Sunchimes like this.
  18. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi @Tai,

I've read your story and have been following this thread and can relate a lot to your experiences with women, to an extent. So I probably won't be much of help, but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in having these feelings and experiences. I too struggle with finding a woman I am both emotionally and physically attracted to. It's usually I find them physically attractive, and similar to your experience, as I get to know them better, I am completely turned off by their personality and lifestyle and I just feel so awkward around them. Girls don't seem to like being around me either. Then the self-doubt kicks in and I don't feel part of the community because I don't have enough romantic attraction to pursue a relationship.

Or I am emotionally attracted to a girl (like in a platonic way) but I could never be physically attracted to them, and this seems to be a pattern. When it's become a pattern - that you are not meeting a woman who you can be emotionally invested in - you wonder if this is your true orientation. I just want to say that your feelings are valid. It doesn't help when you haven't met anybody who shares the same experiences. I am surprised and uncomfortable when queer girls want to pursue a relationship with one another as quickly as ordering from McDonald's. I digress.

I hope you are able to talk to a therapist, counselor, or a trustworthy friend about these issues. It helps so much to have a support system handy for when these issues come up.

#18 jjusa, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Sunchimes likes this.
  19. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much for your input! Yes, it really can be so confusing when the romantic and sexual attractions don't align. Everything you wrote there is exactly my experience. Thankfully EC has been a great place to talk about this, but so far it's been too embarrassing to talk to my friends or parents about it due to the whole sexual attraction thing. The two friends I might feel comfortable enough opening up to about serious topics are both kind of uncomfortable by the topic of sex, and two of my other friends who would be more comfortable talking about that are actually close friends with the girl I was dating and having such conflicting feelings about, so I don't feel comfortable revealing all that to them since they have access to her. I also don't feel comfortable talking to my parents about sexual attraction. They know about the girl I dated and that I'm experimenting but they don't know about this inconsistency between sexual and romantic attraction. I really want a counselor but I've tried many times in the past but they never end up working out for one reason or another, whether I feel like they're not helping or they're too expensive for long-term... I know there's a ton of counselors out there though so I may try that again sometime. Okay, I'm rambling, but thank you so much and I hope you have someone to talk to about it as well!