1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

♥Burlesque♥

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jay, Nov 14, 2010.

1. KatzInHatz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She actually wore wigs throughout the movie. (I forget where I read that from, probably some magazine)

#21 KatzInHatz, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Chandra

I thought this was going to be a thread about burlesque in general, and I was all ready to jump in with hearts and exclamation marks and agreement!!♥♥!!♥♥

The movie, I'm less excited about. :/

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha, TOTALLY agreed.

if anyone else lives in sydney, i highly recommend Black Cherry. Punk, rockabilly, burlesque, DJ variety... what could be better??? Next show is december 4th.

4. Jay

Jay

Why not make it a thread about burlesque in general? I mean burlesque is cool. I am just excited about the movie. :grin:

5. midwestblues

I saw this yesterday. It was okay. Nothing terrible, but nothing spectacular either. Christina Aguilera is okay as an actress, although the script didn't give her much to work with. She certainly was not the disaster that Britney Spears was in "Crossroads" (which I didn't see but don't need to to judge it). It would be interesting to see how X-Tina would do in a non-vanity role. Cher was great in all aspects, although a popcorn kernel lodged in the back of my throat caused me to gag throughout her inspirational number. Sorry Cher. The script was flat and cliched, and the dialogue was terrible; the only remotely clever part *spoilers* came at the end when X-Tina figures out how to save the club. But it provided a framework that at least was passable. I enjoyed myself so I say thumbs up, although it's definitely no Chicago or Cabaret.

6. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw the movie, and I really enjoyed it. Sure it was clichéd as could be, but honestly I don't mind that at all as long as the movie is fun,which "Burlesque" certainly is. Whenever I go to a movie like this, I'm not looking for an earth-shattering film, I just want the movie to be fun. Christina Aguilera did really well, especially since this was her first film. I've been a fan of hers for years, and I did like seeing her act and sing on the big screen. Cher did well, of course. Hell, she's *Cher.*:lol: Stanley Tucci was wonderful as usual. He's oneof my favorites, I've liked everything I've seen himin. Cam Gigandet did good as wel, and it was worth the price of admission alone just to see <SPOILER AHEAD> his funny striptease scene. He has an amazing ass, and it would have been great if they could have moved the strategically placed cookie box. :icon_bigg Anyway, I really enjoyed the film. That's my opinion on it.

7. Hot damn. I really enjoyed it. But my gay uncles did have me in love with Cher by the time I was two :wink:.

I don't understand this but I have a sudden NEED to dance like that. I was sitting there in the whole movie just thinking "I want to do that." Screw ballet...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. midwestblues

As far as the comparisons to Showgirls, Showgirls is infinitely more entertaining.

9. No One

I saw it with my mother... which was a bad decision. For one it was awkward because there are girls in thongs all over the screen, but it was was worse because in line with my mothers paranoia she asked me almost every thirty minutes if the movie did anything for me(as in turned me on). It kinda ruined most of the movie for me.

I will have to see it again with my friends.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Why not make it a thread about burlesque in general? I mean burlesque is cool.

Fine by me. :slight_smile: How many ECers have been to a burlesque show? More than once? What were your impressions?

Lex

11. Chandra

Me me me! Our local LGBT organization booked a burlesque show to raise funds for their dances a couple of months ago. It was an amateur troupe so a bit rough around the edges, but still awesome. :icon_bigg I loved that the performers were all shapes and sizes, and completely confident in their individual beauty. I would love to do burlesque and I have even thought about what songs I'd dance too. But I'm too shy... :icon_redf

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have several "troupes" here in town, and the dividing lines are rather blurry. Some perform with only one "troupe", some perform with several. There's occasional scuffling behind the scenes, but generally everybody is supportive of everybody else.

I know what you mean about different body types. One of the main burlesque dancers here (she hosts her own weekly show) has what one host called "the ass heard round the world". :slight_smile: But I don't think anybody sees her up there and thinks "her butt's too big". Her extremely fun attitude is incredibly infectious, and everybody thinks it's "naughty-fun-hot". :slight_smile: There used to be another perform there who was - no two ways about it - fat. But all of us regulars loved watching her perform. Not only did her attitude help, too, but she always came up with really cool and interesting pieces. Both my partner and I loved the performance she gave to the Doors' "Alabama Song" - it was damned creepy and cool. :slight_smile:

The shows we go to tend to have a lot of variety. In addition to five or six dancers a night (most of which do two numbers), we get to hear a torch song singer sing a couple songs, we get to see a juggler do his thing, and perhaps get to see the "naughty puppets" perform. The hosts are always a hoot, as well, and during intermission, there's a "close-up magician" who will sit at your table and perform for you. (In my EC interview, the close-up magician makes a cameo appearance. :slight_smile: ) It's just a really fun night out for us.

Lex

13. x2x2x2x2y2

Saw the movie last night. Liked it. I think they should've took out a song or two, but still good.

Oh, and
    I LOVED the male leads naked scene. F-ing hot!! And a great ass!!! Lol