1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accepting the truth, being the truth

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Gayhusband, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi all. I’ve been working on coming out to my wife of over 25 years. I’ve gradually made progress with her as she has been in deep denial, as I was, of this truth for years. I’ve come out to her on many occasions. Most instances were when I was drinking or on amphetamines. I was really confused at that time. I was married. I had had numerous gay sexual encounters before and after getting married and I was starting to realize that hiding my homosexuality was going to tear my life apart if I didn’t confront it. As the urgency of revealing my true sexuality to my wife became more necessary, I somehow managed to tell her that I was gay while she and I were both sober. She took it ok. But a day later she was obviously angry. I knew I had to give her time to process it. When I asked her if she had any questions she only wanted to know if I still love her. I told her yes of course. She wanted to know my next move so I told her I haven’t thought of any changes yet. She is crushed. It crushes me. Asking me if I’ve ever truly been turned on by her during sex. I told her yes, which is the truth. I still get turned on by her and feel sexually attracted to her. But, as I told her, I feel my gay self blossoming into something much larger than I would have ever imagined or wanted. When we married. I knew men were my preference. She had point blank asked me once, before we became serious, if I was gay. I lied to her and said no. I’ll never forget that denial and deception. That deception still haunts me and my life. It gave her the ability to deny it too. I have always been in love with her even though I know that I am gay. Last 10 years. I have struggled mightily with needing to be honest about my feelings for men. So the past two years I’ve been ensuring that my wife understands that I’m gay. I’m technically bisexual because I still enjoy sex with my wife, but as I have explained to her. I would never pursue sex with a woman again became I know the men are my sexual preference and that not adhering to that truth causes infinite issues. She is still a little resistant to me calling myself gay. I understand that. The weight of her denying me my right to call myself gay was/is heavy. I felt like I was being crushed. She is trying to not call me slurs when she becomes angry. I told her not to be sorry because the name calling is just her speaking the truth. I am this that and the other. I can accept that. It’s true. I’m gay. A Queer A Faggot. A Perv. A deviant . Whatever else you want to throw at me. I embrace it. I’ve told her that I am not afraid of people finding out about me being gay anymore. I told her I understand if she wants to divorce me. She says she wants us to stay together somehow. I want to. I love our family. My need for gay sex and for gay bonding is very real and obviously necessary. She said that she’d understand if I needed to express myself sexually with other men. Her sex drive has dwindled significantly in the past few years. She said that my having gay sex would be permissible as long as I didn’t feel the need to tell her about it. Time will tell. I feel gayer and happier than ever now after making it clear to her that yes I am gay and I was born this way. I just managed to convince a lot of other people otherwise because I was afraid and very confused for way too long.

2. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm a little unclear about whether you've had any encounters with men with your wife's permission and knowledge? I'm not sure how to reconcile her apparent open-mindedness to this with her refusal even to call you gay, and her use of gay slurs. Regardless, I can't really see this kind of arrangement working out. It'd probably just lead to jealousy and further resentment, especially given how betrayed your wife must already feel.

Why are you determined to keep the family intact in its current state? You say you love your wife, but you're also content to leave her in limbo, uncertain of your true feelings for her, sexually unsatisfied, but also clinging to the norm because it's familiar. Are you trying to project to others the image of a "normal" family? Do you maybe still have some internalised homophobia, a part of you that agrees with your wife's slurs? It seems like you go some of the way to accepting yourself but then hesitate in fear. What are you afraid of?

It's terrifying to leave the comfort of the known behind and venture into an uncertain future. But it's worse to stay in an unhappy situation, numbed by familiarity, wondering what might have been.

Gayhusband and Keller like this.
  3. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope your doing ok

Gayhusband likes this.
  4. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to your feelings about wanting to keep the marriage intact and her desire to stay together with you, but does she have complete understanding of the situation?

You two might make it work, sure, but will it leave you and her satisfied and happy in that relationship?

I’m afraid @Colm is right.

Gayhusband likes this.
  5. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not married but I had girfriends in the past and looking back I thought I was sexually attracted, but now, looking back I realized what was really arousing was that I was going to be stimulated. I had no desire to perform oral sex, and when having normal sex I just wanted to finish and was worried about losing my erection (which often happened and even though I tried to resist it, thinking about men solved that).
    I am not saying your experience is mine but over time many gay men realize that they weren't ever really sexually attracted to women.

A girlfriend asked me this too - and like you I lied, though at that point I was still lying to myself. It made me realize the cost of the lies and how it impacted my life. It also made me realize that insightful girlfriend would see through my charade.

It sounds like you have an opportunity to pursue this, but just for sex, she's expected that it's just about sex- but we soon find out sex is only a small part of it.

6. eron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had a similar experience. Although I did it, oral with a woman never did much for me, and, much of the sex was just about getting off. As time went on, reaching climax with a woman became more difficult unless aided by thinking about men. As I've accepted and embraced my homosexuality, I'm no longer sexually attracted to woman, but with a man, I can barely contain myself :slight_smile:

7. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Though I tried to fool myself at the time, looking back I literally winced before I started to give it and every second felt like a minute. I think many gay men stay in denial because they can 'get off' while having sex but its no different than masturbating into a sex toy that just feels good. I realized I rarely fantasized about women and it took effort to even fantasize.

Looking back I realize I always just wanted to get off and get it over with. With a guy I don't even care if i ejaculate.

Before acceptance I just assumed my sex drive was declining with age, but once I accepted myself and allowed myself to fantasize about men, my sexual fantasies and sex drives went through the roof!

8. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not. I’m struggling

9. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is terrifying. I’m terrified. You’re right about a lot of things. Thank you

10. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Fortunately or unfortunately that is where I am at. It’s incredibly frustrating at times

11. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m trying to make it clear to her of the situation at hand. She’s still in denial to some degree

12. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m totally in the same boat. I’m so myself with men. I realized a while back, that with a woman I felt I wanted to be submissive. With men I want to be satisfied and do as much satisfying as I can.

13. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m torn between staying with her and our young child who needs his dad or continue to be closeted and sexually frustrated. Choosing my sexual satisfaction over my child’s needs is something I continue to wrestle with

14. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The need to physically be with a man or men is powerful and relentless. Homophobia is definitely an issue for me as well, still. It’s a mind f**k for sure. Thank you again for replying

15. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Jake
    Yes I am trying to project the image of a normal family. I have not had sex with a man since my wife agreed to “let me do my thing”. I have had sex with men without permission from my wife prior to our new arrangement. I am ashamed of what I have done. I feel like maybe she has agreed to allow me to be with a man sexually so that it can be the proof she needs to accept that I am gay and move on. In some ways it would be much easier if that were to happen. I know I put her and myself in a terrible position. It’s my fault. I wasn’t honest on many occasions. I know that I must face the consequences of lying. She has known that I prefer men sexually for a long time but has been along my side in denying the reality the whole time. Always quick to want to portray me as at the least bisexual but never gay. She was always trying to fix me since the beginning of our marriage. We’ve now been at it for two decades. Denying that Im full blown gay to protect our married status and when it comes down to it, to protect me from the fear of losing my family. Protecting me from the reality that I ruined our lives. Protecting me from having a face the facts. I don’t deny that all I have to do is just tell her that I can’t do it anymore. It would be the truth for once. I know she’s miserable living with the facts she doesn’t want to face. It’s a shame and I am ashamed

16. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Gayhusband, I'm in an almost identical situation to you. I've been married 10 years. I have three children. I did tell my wife before we got married that my primary attraction was to men, but I swore to her that I was choosing her anyway, and that she would be enough. But, like you, I'm finding myself in an impossible situation.

As far as having sex, I was able to previously. Then, this year, I started dealing with my past sexual abuse, and everything fell apart. I started up realize that I'd only been able to have sex with her because I'd learned how to completely shut off my emotions and just focus on the physical feelings. I was doing what I did during the abuse. Now that I'm working through that, I can't do it anymore. Our sex life has essentially come to a halt.

I have three children. They are my world, and I don't want to hurt them. I also love my wife as a best friend. I don't want to hurt her either. But the only thing that I can see making her and I truly satisfied in the end is for us to go our separate ways romantically. I wonder if you may find yourself coming to the same conclusion in the end.

Gayhusband likes this.
  17. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi there. Thank you so much for reaching out. Sorry about your situation. I know how very hard it is. I have come to the same conclusion as you. I still have a hard time imagining leaving her and my child just to satisfy my sexual desires/needs. It doesn’t make sense to me. I know my denial of my homosexuality causes me to be unhappy which causes problems for my wife and child. I’m extremely unsatisfied sexually. I don’t want to be unfaithful anymore. I have tried to somehow “contain “ my lust and urges but it is made me crazy, unhappy and unfulfilled. Leaving them believe it or not seems worse. My wife has actually begged me to help her make it work somehow but my sexual needs/wants are making it so difficult. I need sex with men. I’m not interested in a romantic relationship at this time. Or should I say I don’t fantasize about having a relationship with a man at this time. I know I am gay. That is no longer a question. Eventually I would love to meet somebody. I have had a romantic relationship with a guy before. It was a very long time ago. He broke my heart. Right now my sexual dissatisfaction is the biggest issue. I want to have guilt free homosexual sex. The fact that I am attracted solely to men now is difficult for my wife to accept. It’s made her angry. I’ve admitted everything to her. I finally admitted to her that nearly every one of my relationships with a woman before her had ended up with them leaving me because they thought I might be “confused”. She has said that she’s ready to do whatever is necessary for my and our long term happiness. She knows that coming out for me has been difficult but necessary. I know that living guilt free is necessary for the future but I’m so afraid of making everything worse.

18. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had a very sober and frank conversation with my wife this morning. I started it out by saying to her “I am gay”

Joolz66 likes this.
  19. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gayhusband.....I am also a gay husband. I am fortunate in that I am able to be sexually satisfied by what I euphemistically call autosexually. I understand that this does not work for everybody, or indeed perhaps for nobody but me. You have done the right thing by communicating with your wife and being honest with her. I do hope that the two of you will, at least in the short run, be able to work out a situation that allows both of you to meet your own particular needs. I really do love my wife and can't see a future without her which is the main reason that I have chosen to live the way I do. Since you don't feel a need for a romantic relationship with another man I think that there is hope that you and you wife could stay together...if that is what both of you want.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Gayhusband likes this.
  20. jeffel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really sympathize with your situation, @Gayhusband. My wife has felt similarly crushed by my coming out. It is so hard because I know this is hurting her. I don't want to hurt her, but she doesn't believe me. She says that if I loved her, I'd want to stay married. She also says that I should want to give her what she needs, and what she needs is me. I'm not trying to be selfish. I do love her, but I'm not sexually attracted to her. I'm not sexually attracted to any women, and I'm tired of living a lie.

Gayhusband likes this.