1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for non-binary people

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by skloorrpt, Aug 18, 2022.

1. skloorrpt

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I made a post on here the other day asking some questions about they/them pronouns. My friend told me they'd like to start going by they/them and I wanted to learn more about it. Over the last few days I've been thinking about it more for myself. I felt like some of what they said resonated with me a bit. I explained some of how I was feeling in my other post so I'll try to keep this brief.

As I've gotten more comfortable with my own sexuality and LGBTQ issues in general, I've realized that gender is based on a bunch of stereotypes that I wish didn't exist. I don't like that I feel pressured to behave in certain ways. I don't like that I feel I'm not allowed to look a certain way or do certain things I'd like to try. I don't like that I feel I've been barred from things just because of something about me that I had no control over and don't consider that important. I don't feel like the most masculine person, and to be honest, I don't want to be. There are some aspects of masculinity that I don't like and the fact that someone might associate those with me is something I find a little annoying. I also wish that I felt more comfortable doing some things that would probably be considered more feminine by most people, but at the moment I fear judgement too much to try.

I'm not even out yet when it comes to my sexuality, so I don't really want to tell people I'd maybe like to try going by they/them. I don't have many friends, and only one who is LGBTQ. I still live with my parents, and they wouldn't be very accepting of this. Just the other day my mom was saying some transphobic bullshit then mentioned how she doesn't like people who go by they/them "because it's grammatically incorrect".

Over the last week or so I've been thinking about how I would feel if I heard someone refer to me as they or them. It definitely makes me feel a way, but I'm not really sure how. Sometimes it feels kind of nice, sometimes I feel like I'm faking this all and it's not really me. I'm pretty sure I wrote almost the exact same thing on one of my older posts about my sexual orientation. I have been feeling some very similar feelings in regards to this as I did when I first started questioning my sexuality. So maybe that's something to take into consideration as well.

So I guess I'd like to hear some other people's experiences with realizing that they're non-binary. I'm not really sure I understand what constitutes a valid reason to identify as non-binary, so It'd be nice to have something to compare to what I'm going through. If anyone has any input on my situation I'd be glad to hear it as well. This ended up way longer than I wanted it too, so I'll wrap it up.

Thanks!

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im Non Binary I was reading about it all last year and felt that fit me for me it means I dont fit male or female norms

#2 Jakebusman, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  3. Ebony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am still figuring my self out but I feel you should find someone to talk about this too. Cause people on the internet net can’t help you as a person face to face. Now about my experience I was watching a video about non binary people and heard about the term bigender and it clicked for me.

4. FoxFeathers

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here on Empty Closets, there's a couple threads for trying out names and pronouns if you want to try out new pronouns and can't in real life. Remember, it's okay to experiment with your gender and end up in the same place, or in an entirely different place. Good luck ^-^

Mihael likes this.