1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopped liking girls, moving toward bisexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jjusa, Feb 21, 2022.

1. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Previously, I had posted about self-esteem affecting dating choices. That when I feel good about myself, I want to date girls and when I don't, I feel like I'm not actually into girls or am a fraud and should be with a guy instead. However, I don't think self-esteem is the only thing playing a role in attraction. I felt attraction to this girl about three years ago when I was in graduate school, but there were so many red flags about her that made her almost unapproachable despite me having overwhelming feelings for her. I also felt extremely jealous when I found she was in a relationship, which was a first for me when it comes to girls. It was too overwhelming that I literally fled town to stay away from her lol. It's funny because we had absolutely no connection or chemistry even though I felt this way towards her. I laugh but feel sad about that at the same time. My self-esteem definitely tanked after having this experience.

Ever since I stopped having contact with this girl, I no longer feel anything towards other girls. My self-esteem fluctuates each day, and sometimes even when I am feeling good about myself, I don't feel the need to date a girl. I just go about my day as a single, independent woman. I'm currently on a couple dating apps and even though I've matched with several girls, they never make the first move, which is a complete turn off for me! Even when I make the first move, it's radio silence. I always have to second guess how she feels about me and that's where the anxiety just gets worse. At one point, I thought I could be in a relationship with a girl, but slowly I realized that my personality is better suited for a guy. Girls have just stopped appealing to me as potential long-term partners and I realized that I can't force anything if there is nothing there to begin with.

I'm approaching my 30's and I'm starting to think about real connections. I am so sick and tired of toxic people at this point. Maybe this is something that others on here around my age can relate to an extent. For me, authentic connections start off as strong friendships and all of my female friendships up to this point have been toxic as hell. I've always been used and manipulated and bullied by other women. I've never had a connection with another girl that felt so real that I could completely be myself without having to change a thing about me, second guess myself and the other girl, or worry about how I behave or dress. I want to wake up next to a partner without having those feelings. I was a tomboy with lots of guys friends growing up and those friendships were actually healthy. I tend to have a lot more in common with guys than with girls. I like video games, crime drama, and horror movies. Having similar interests is sort of a dealbreaker for me when it comes to relationships. If we have nothing in common or different personalities, I don't know how a relationship could work.

I've started gravitating towards guys as potential romantic partners and begun questioning if this previous attraction to a girl was just a one-time thing or if I'm just bisexual with a romantic preference for men. I acknowledge that I had attraction to a girl, but I am also questioning if maybe it was just this one girl and it doesn't necessarily mean I'm gay/bi. I read a different post on here that said that just because you experience an attraction to the same sex, doesn't mean that you are actually gay or bi. What makes someone bicurious versus bisexual? I have fantasies but I don't act on them ever. Only ever kissed women. Maybe I only like the idea of being with a girl, but not the real thing. Thoughts on this?

I can't shake off the feeling that I could be interested in guys as well. Maybe this is compulsory heterosexuality talking. When I started questioning my sexuality in my early twenties, I did believe I could be bisexual or pansexual. I had a crush on a guy in college, so I knew that there was some straight in me. Perhaps I need more time to grow with the person - guy or girl. If another girl comes along and there is something mutually romantic there, great. I would just be shocked if that happened. Likewise, if a guy shows up in my life and becomes sexually appealing to me, awesome. It just hasn't happened to me, and I don't want to consider myself as part of the LGBTQIA+ community if I haven't even had a romantic anything yet. I would feel like an intruder, being somewhere I don't belong.

I am seeing a new therapist this week and hoping that she can help guide me on this journey, but I wanted to post on here too because I do appreciate the support you all have given to me. Thank you.

#1 jjusa, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2022
  2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @jjusa

I’m sorry that you continue to feel confused about your sexuality, and really hope that your new therapist can support you to work through some your thoughts and feelings.

I’m not sure how helpful this will be, but the experiences that you describe having on dating apps are very common. I’ve had women “like” me and never send a message, and now I’ve been using apps for a while, I do usually send a message myself and sometimes I never hear anything back. I obviously can’t comment on whether trying to date men on apps is easier, but I do think that using dating apps in general can be hard and frustrating. It can be easier said than done, but trying to meet somebody in person may be a better option, perhaps a group or something that interest you.

Though, I will add that I have seen more than one woman on dating apps with interests similar to yours. I get the impression that you don’t think finding a woman with similar interests is likely?

I’m really sorry that you have experienced toxic friendships with women in the past, but it’s worth keeping in mind that you can also experience all those things in relationship with a man. You’ve pretty much described my relationship to my male ex, and I tolerated that dynamic for a long time because of low self esteem. Dating men will not guarantee that you won’t fall into that pattern again. Hopefully your therapist can help you to explore this.

out2019 likes this.
  3. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the support. It's been such a confusing experience! I hope my new therapist will be helpful too. We will see!

I guess I haven't met enough people who have had similar dating experiences as I have. Maybe it's because all of my friends who identify as not heterosexual have met their significant other super easily through dating apps. Meanwhile I am lucky if a girl ever gets back to me but have no problem getting responses from guys. It's nice to finally get attention from somebody. I find taking initiative to be a really attractive trait and that seems to be a guy thing.

When you said meet somebody in person, how do you mean? I can only think of dating apps as a way of meeting other people. I would think it'd be difficult to find somebody in person without having communicated with them online first. To be honest, dating apps help me keep my sexuality private and that's the avenue I want to use to explore myself. I've tried group meet ups before, but I only ever felt like a fraud or imposter being there. Everyone is too experienced, I feel like I have to act like a different person, and it's intimidating for me. I'm a very private and independent person.

I'm sorry about your previous relationship experience. I hope that you were able to work on the self esteem issues. It sounds like you were never interested in men in the first place?

4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand that and why it’s appealing. In a practical sense, I do also sometimes think that dating men would be easier, so I can partially understand where you are coming from there. But, if it’s not where your true attractions lie, then it won’t be enough in the long term. Only you can know whether there is genuine attraction on your side.

Is this based on experience or assumptions, or both? I think some lesbians must be good at taking the initiative, or there would be no lesbian couples, right?

I meant groups as one possibility, but I do appreciate that it’s not a suitable option for everyone, and apps do have some advantages. Though, it wouldn’t necessarily need to be a specifically LGBT group, but just anything that interests you and would enable you to meet people with similar interests. Perhaps approach as trying to meet people, rather than trying to find a partner, and just see what develops?

Not genuinely, no, but I thought I was at the time. I had crushes on guys in my teens and early 20s, but in retrospect, I can see that I was attracted to the idea more than the person. I never had any interest in acting on any attractions that I had towards guys, but I put that down to nervousness. I almost exclusively fantasised about men, but again it wasn’t about them or their bodies. When my ex asked me out, I just figured that I may as well get it over with because I had never so much as kissed anyone before. At first, there was an element of novelty and I was happy at times, but overall, it was never quite right and it took me some time to work out why that was.

5. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By interest I mean actual fantasizing or getting aroused, not wanting to be aroused. I desperately wanted to be aroused by women, I kept hoping a woman would 'save' me from being gay.

I am not an expert but I guess it might be possible...
    Well it depends on what you don't like about the real thing. Is it fear?

Look at your language here.. I feel like I could be interested in guys "If" comes along that is sexually appealing to me....
    I read a lot of your posts, I never have seen indications of sexual interest in men.

Maybe dating women isn't a good idea now, and maybe the thing to just focus on now is your anxiety and self esteem.
    This is only my personal experience, but my fear of my sexuality is what caused a lot of those problems in the first place.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems there's an awful lot of going around in circles here. I don't mean that in a mean way, just that the current conversation is a variation on what you've been saying in previous threads.

The complexity of your feelings in what you have said in previous threads would lead me to believe that it is highly unlikely that you are straight. Of course, I'm not inside your head, so my opinion + $4 will get you a cup of Starbucks.

But so much of your unwillingness to fully delve into your same-sex attraction seems tied in the judgment of others and this single experience, and yet you have, in the past, described pretty strong feelings toward women.

Add to that the complexity of the poor experiences you've had with female friends/dating interests... and it's a very complicated situation.

As I suggested before, I don't think you'll be able to unravel this until you do some pretty serious work in therapy. There's a lot to unpack about your self-esteem (likely with its origins in childhood attachment/trauma issues) and your feelings about what it would mean (with regard to family and friends) if you were to have a female life partner.

So my suggestion, again, is that you seek therapy and work on these issues there. I think that's likely to yield you a lot more satisfaction than just trying to date and having no solid idea of what you want.

masterofnone, out2019 and BiGemini87 like this.
  7. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right. It's probably best not to go on here and ask these types of questions. Only I can know what is truly going on.

Usually, it's been experiences. And so true, you make a good point. Someone has to take the initiative otherwise there wouldn't be couples out there in the world. I realize now that it's all me and I am the problem, not knowing what I want, and it's no fault of other girls.

I can see how the "newness" of it all would make you believe being with a guy is what you truly want.

It's fear, a combo of bad experiences, and never feeling certain about what I want.

Haha I'm convinced that a guy will swoop in and "save" me. Yes, I know I am not sexually interested in men. I just really enjoy their companionship and wish sometimes that life was easier, and I didn't have to overthink about all this.

YOu're right, I don't think it's a great idea to date women either. Mental health is more important. I don't think I will ever date women again. I tried and it didn't work out. I think it was a big mistake and wish I could go into a time machine and erase what I did. It only makes my anxiety and stress worse. I'd much prefer male companionship, even if it's of the friendship variety. I am in the asexual/aromantic camp at this moment and have no desire to venture out there and find a partner. I'm perfectly content with being single and independent, which is something probably no LGBTQIA+ folks can really relate to, since everyone seems to want or be in relationships. Well, other than aromantic folks lol.

#7 jjusa, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope that things go well with your new therapist and that they are able to support you with working through your thoughts and feelings. If you have any other questions about my experiences, then just let me know. Happy to help if I can. :slight_smile:

out2019 and jjusa like this.
  9. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, @LostInDaydreams. I appreciate you listening to my story for a bit.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  10. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know you did not mean that in a mean way. I do go in circles and find myself incredibly annoying repeating a bunch of what I have said in previous posts, ruminating, and I don't know why I do it. I guess I try to talk and think myself out of the situation. I'm not comfortable just sitting with my thoughts by myself... I feel like I could also have OCD.

I would have to agree with you on that, but lately I realized I'm not as "gay" as I thought I was. Or not gay, enough I mean. I've said "I'm gay" out loud to people before and it just didn't feel right to me. I've been backtracking ever since and it's why I've been leaning on the bisexual label. I first started questioning as a bisexual at 22, went to gay at 26, now I'm back to bisexual at 28. With almost no experience under my belt, I feel like I haven't given myself a chance with guys. It just feels weird to give up on men when I haven't even had a relationship with one. It's almost like I feel guilty for not giving men a chance, which could just be compulsory heterosexuality influencing me. No idea. Yes, I am not straight. But I don't feel completely gay either.

Therapy is my top priority right now and hopefully I am seeing a competent therapist who understands my issues well.

I did "come out" to my family 3 years ago, and everyone was fine with it, but my mom was having a hard time. I definitely backtracked that later on when I told my mom I've stopped dating girls around 2 years ago. I never felt confident that I liked girls when I came out. All my dates were failures, I had no experience (still don't) and wasn't sure of myself, and some people didn't believe me, so it all felt weird to move on after the fact. I think she assumes I'm straight or bisexual now because of my behavior thus far. I play along with that by talking about cute male celebrities on TV with her and it's very easy to do that. I certainly feel some pressure from my mom to date and marry a guy.

At this point in my life at 28, I decided I don't ever want to get married so I know that won't happen, but because I get along with guys so well and am attracted to them emotionally, they seem to be the only option for me at this time.

I don't want to disrespect other bisexual people but identifying this way has helped remove the stress of putting myself into a specific box. Because I am still unsure of what I want, it helps to identify as someone who is potentially open to more than one gender. I don't want to restrict myself completely. I'm in my late twenties and still haven't connected with a girl romantically, or anyone for the matter; it just seems less and less likely to happen as time moves forward and I get older and older, and it still hasn't happened.

Yes, I am being pressured by family to be with the opposite sex. Maybe there's a reason why it hasn't worked out with girls though. I don't want to limit myself just to girls because it's already difficult enough finding someone of the same sex who is also into the same sex and who likes you AND is actually compatible with you. It's hard to measure up to other LGBTQIA+ individuals who have years of love and relationships under their belt and I have nada. There's a lot of pressure coming from both sides, it seems.

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with not wanting to limit yourself, and if you absolutely see yourself as bisexual, then absolutely, you should try dating guys. I just don't remember seeing much of anything from your previous posts that would suggest any genuine sexual/romantic (tied together) interest in men. What I heard a lot of is "Well, I should probably try dating men because I'm getting all this pressure to do so."

So if you're genuinely uncertain, and genuinely believe you have sexual attraction to guys and girls...then by all means, go with that! Just please make sure that's actually the case, both for your own benefit, and to avoid hurting some guy who decides he's really into you, only to have you figure out you really don't like guys after all. That's the main point I was getting at.

12. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't recall if I've weighed in with this particular thought in the past, but having toxic past friendships/interactions with other girls/women can absolutely affect how you feel about your attraction to women, your self-esteem regarding them, and your inability to click on a personal level. I've grappled with this issue a lot myself, both prior to coming out and even now. Even forming friendships with other women is difficult, because many I know irl definitely do not share my interests. I still have female friends like that, but I figure if they like being friends with me despite not sharing many of their interests, I can do the same--especially when we get along great, otherwise. I understand your feelings, though; it's hard to form new friendships at the best of times, much less seek romance.

I think @Chip and @LostInDaydreams have the right of it: the best thing you can do is work through these issues in therapy first and foremost. Anything else right now would be putting the cart before the horse.

Be patient and understanding with yourself. It's going to take time, but you'll figure things out. There's no rush. :slight_smile:

Chip likes this.
  13. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Chip, you are right. There is no genuine sexual attraction that I feel towards men and the opposite sex. There’s a lot of societal and family pressure to date the opposite sex as well and since I don’t have those sexual feelings, it just makes me feel awful. However, if I’m emotionally/romantically interested in guys, I wonder if the sexual feelings will come later. But so far, I’ve never had a sexual fantasy or thought about a guy. I feel pretty turned off at the thought of having sex with a man, but my brain seems to hold on to hope that I’ll want that eventually.

With girls, even when there is sexual/physical attraction, my brain can’t comprehend romance with another girl. I like the idea on paper and enjoy watching fxf relationships on TV, but in reality, I have doubts. Otherwise, at 28, I feel like I would have already had a girlfriend and lots of experiences, like every other queer woman I know, following the typical script of coming out and finding love. Since I haven’t made the right connection with anyone yet and only ever felt toxicity in my interactions, I have serious doubts that romance with a girl is what I truly desire. I guess only time will tell, right? Only a lot of time has passed already and nothing has transpired,

14. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @BiGemini87, thank you for sharing some parts about yourself with me. Forming friendships with woman as an adult (I’m not sure how old you are and I don’t want to push you to tell me) is already difficult enough, I don’t know how queer relationships just suddenly happen, you know? It makes me feel like I’m the problem, maybe I’m not into girls, and should just quit and hang out by myself forever.

One of the biggest reasons I walk away from women is that they typically dislike my personality and weird quirks, making me feel badly about myself; and it’s much easier to go to men because they seem to accept me as I am and I don’t make a fool out of myself like I do with girls. I had lots of guy friends growing up and was bullied and harassed frequently by girls. That doesn’t seem to stop after high school - it still goes on in the workplace and other areas of life too. Then the conflicting thoughts and feelings of attraction and hate come together and it makes me feel miserable.

Yes, I am hoping therapy will at least help me feel better about myself and realize that I don’t need to change anything about myself. I know it’ll take time to figure things out. I wish it would just go faster so I can live the most authentic life I can… thank you though.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So that would pretty clearly indicate you're not straight.

Nope. As I've spoken about before, there's no credible evidence supporting the idea of discordant romantic and sexual orientation, thus 'romantic attraction' is another word for 'emotionally intimate friendship' which many gay people have with people of the opposite sex. This is really just relating to someone as a friend, and has nothing to do with sex or sexual orientation.

So again, pretty incontrovertible evidence that you are gay, not bi, and that you're in the bargaining stage of denial: "OK, I know I feel attraction to girls, but I really want to end up with a guy some day, even though I have no actual interest in them."

This is almost 100% certain to be a byproduct of strong programming and messaging you have gotten that it isn't OK to be gay. You're trying to please someone's expectations of you rather than actually living your life authentically.

No, it is far more likely that you are so traumatized against the idea of having a relationship with a woman by the messages from parents and others, that any time you seriously consider acting on what you are truly feeling, you're paralyzed by fear and self-judgment.

#15 Chip, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    TinyWerewolf, out2019 and jjusa like this.
  16. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy being around women, I have women friends, but the sex part isn't there, I tried for years... I wish I had just accepted it sooner.

Gay Brett likes this.
  17. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @jjusa I went through this stage. I am not saying your experiences are mine, but I know how bad it is to keep in this circle or hoping some (in my case) woman so hot that I will actually get sexually aroused and it would 'prove' I wasn't gay. That kept me stuck for a long long time.

18. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for clarifying. I will ask though, what happens if as a woman or man, you truly believe that you were once attracted to a member the opposite sex? So much so that you went to counseling and bawled your eyes out because they didn't like you back and chose someone else instead. You wanted to kiss them. You did and you liked it. You wanted their attention all the time. It's just odd to me that I never liked the opposite sex if I went through that pain. That's a big contributor to my hesitation to call myself gay vs. bi. That, and again, guys are healthier for me to be around on an emotional/mental level. I had all these overwhelming feelings that I never felt for any other guy, but still, I never felt that sexual pull when I was around him. Do gay people have experiences like this with the opposite sex before they come out? Did I cry because society tells me I should when it comes to the opposite sex? It wasn't real at all? I'm at a loss.

So why do I still feel uncertain and doubtful when I identify as gay? Shouldn't there be a moment of clarity?

Yes, this is all true, and more specifically, toxicity in female friendships/interactions, sending me the message that it is a bad idea to get into a relationship with another woman; and it feels like a bad idea. It's not just the messages I receive, but it's also the way I've been treated by others. Girls, in particular. I don't know how I can separate that from sexual orientation. Even before the trauma began, I've always had difficulty connecting emotionally with others. It's just wired in me.

#18 jjusa, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  19. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi @out2019. I'm sorry you felt you had to force yourself to feel those things you cannot feel. What got you out of being stuck for so long?

20. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading and posting here was extremely helpful. Realizing how good the moments of acceptance felt vs denial.
    Just accepting my feelings for men were 100x more intense than anything I had about women.

Contented likes this.