1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Techniques to get rid of your homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mellissa, Jul 3, 2021.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all know it's not a choice (our sexuality), but the decision to treat the Bible as 'the inerrant, infallible and unchanging word of God' very much is a choice and it's one that most liberal churches and denominations have rejected as untenable. That's not to say they take the Bible any less seriously, but they understand that the decision to elevate the Bible to this idolatrous position and adopt the doctrine or inerrancy was principally taken within the last 200 years and is not in concord with the history of the Christian tradition. Almost all attempts to convert people come from an ignorant reading/understanding of the Bible, based around the doctrine of inerrancy... and that absolutely is a choice.

More choices are made in matters of faith than they ever are when it comes to our sexuality or gender identity. Important to bear that in mind when fundamentalists go on the attack.

2. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have not gone through conversion therapy but like many people on here I have in the past struggled with my faith and sexuality.
    Books which really helped me reconcile being made a fabulous gay and a child of God include God and the Gay Christian by Matthew Vines, In the Eye of the Storm by Bishop Gene Robinson. There's also some great LGBT biblical scholarship examining the Bible from Queer perspectives, the Queer Bible Commentary is fantastic.

The only thing I'll add is trying to be someone/something you're not is a dark hole to go down. Self-hatred is not a Christian principal and I would really question whether that is the true battle here not with your sexuality.

3. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, not long ago I was doing a little dance with the devil. You see, I hated myself for being trans. Didn’t matter that God was listening and could have helped, if you hate God’s creation, you have to hate God too. So in hating myself, I revolted against God. When you revolt against God, the devil is thrilled to jump on in. So the Devil and I got real close. He travelled with me daily, reminding me how bad I am, speaking on behalf of God, saying that God hated me.

I am pleased to say I have recently been the beneficiary of a miracle. It was a moment of clarity. I do not understand exactly how or why, but the truth of my situation was revealed to me: what I called “the devil” was a series of mental behaviors that I had cultivated to keep my true self (the one God made) in a mental prison. The devil could only hurt me if I asked for security at the price of my soul. It was the first time I’d had the courage to admit that I even had a soul, that I had anything to do with anything holy. And I saw my soul for the first time. I’d been afraid of my souls for so long because carrying the soul of a trans woman puts me in danger from people (NOT God). But I can’t unsee what I’ve seen: the hatred I felt for myself was built by me out of the raw material of the hatred I’d received from PEOPLE (not God). By denying the soul God gave me, I’ve denied God. There is no joy or hope in that life.

Wicked men have made victims of others by putting words in God’s mouth for all time. We have both been hurt by these people. The devil wants you to suppress your soul, to cultivate your self loathing. God just loves you. That’s it.
    Edit: FYI, I do not belong to a church or religion. My relationship with God is personal. I don’t trust anyone who claims to speak for God, so I cut out the middle man.

#63 staticinmyattic, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not really a religious person. I do not belong in any church either, but I do believe there is a higher power out there and they look out for us in their own way. I have been shown that countless times. I don’t trust anyone who claims to speak for god either or claims to be one. These are just the tricks devils play on people to gain power over them. I don’t know why, but I really liked what you wrote and I agree with you. I have had my own fair share of dances with the devil. Your writing just resonated with me somehow. These are all just my opinions. Everyone’s relationship with religion is very personal thing.

5. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you! I’d like to follow your lead and make clear that I’m only sharing my own views shaped by my own experience. Results may vary. I used to be really hostile toward religion as a whole, which I considered self-defense. I’ve softened on it so much, at least the “afflict the comfortable, comfort the afflicted” side. If it brings people comfort in their pain, we’ll, I’m with it. But it’s easy to forget that God did not create religion, nor did God write it’s laws. That’s all man right there, flaws and all.