1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was the first person you came out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ramsey1288, May 25, 2021.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Jo Hannah I quite like the way you are taking time in learning about yourself and in self-acceptance. It sounds like you are well on your way to reaching it.

The first person I came out to was a friend over email, not counting the counsellor.

caden0803 and out2019 like this.
  2. EmilyWrite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My brother introduced the idea of asexuality after I described how I felt about sex. After researching it, I told him that it was completely accurate. I guess that counts as the first person I came out to even though he knew first. He came out to me as pansexual later and transgender (he was assigned female) soon after that knowing that I wouldn't judge. And after my sister found out about both of us, she told us she was bisexual.

3. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am new here, just joined a couple of days ago. I have come out to myself as bisexual, I have known for a long long time, but never really done anything about it. I will tell my husband first, (this won’t be easy, he still thinks our daughter might decide not to be a lesbian if we don’t encourage her by buying books with a lesbian theme!)
    Then I will tell a friend who is definitely a gay ally, and has had same sex relationships before. After that I just plan on wearing my Pride t shirt and badges and carrying on just being me.
    I have been reading about lesbian lifestyle and relationships, and I do very much feel drawn that way, but I also love my husband very much and will do nothing that hurts him.

4. OtherMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My first coming out wasn’t actually coming out. My mate just knew cause we felt comfortable with each other so I could hint at it and he was cool/supportive with it (still my best mate). Then A couple years later I came out to a guy I’d know awhile (family friend) at a party cause I knew he was gay. Since then came out to two other mates, one whilst out at a bar and another at a party again. Came out to my brother last year which went well he was chill about it. Only had one bad experience and not mates with him anymore, even then I don’t think the guy meant any harm (he was a good friend of mine and told some of his mates who were gay/gay friendly that I’d come out to him - I just wasn’t happy/ready for someone to tell other people my personal stuff)! I wouldn’t care now but was big to me back then. Hope all goes well, for me just my best mate knowing was enough for a very long time, definitely think it’s a big help to have someone in your team!

Ingvermama likes this.
  5. JessicaLove

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I first told one of my girl friends at school, I was mistaken in telling her, she told a lot of people and I was stuck not knowing who I was and yet being bullied for it. But looking back after all these years, I have no malice for her just pity that she felt the need to tell everyone to compensate for her own insecurities