1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling beaten down

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chierro, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, this summer has been incredibly rough for me. I went four years and student-teaching being told how great I am, that I'll easily get a job, I'm good at teaching, that being a guy in my content area will help me and...nothing.

I've gotten offered interviews by 8 schools and I applied to at least three times as many (I lost track). School years are starting back up right about now so chances of full-time positions getting listed are slim. I'm still waiting to hear back from one local district and another one about 2 hours away that I had a second interview at today but...it's hard to be optimistic. The main difference between applying for teaching jobs and others is that teaching jobs are typically only looking between April and August for full-time positions. It's rare to see a full-time position listed midway through the school year.

On top of that, I completely screwed up my chances of starting grad school this Fall. By the time I decided to finish my application (all I needed was one recommendation letter), it was a week from the deadline and everyone who would've been able to write the letter (it had to be from someone who could speak on a certain aspect of me) were all on vacation and/or too busy with the school year starting back up. So, no grad school for me this Fall.

I'm just so exhausted. Some of my friends have gotten jobs and I'm happy for them, but I also want to be in that position right now. At the same time, though, if I were to get hired right now, there are good chances I would have to move last minute and start the school year with zero preparation which is terrifying.

Does anyone have any positive words of encouragement to help me keep my head up?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! While at times the best laid plans, don't work out, always remember that you have given it the attention and the efforts that you could give. That counts for as much as getting an interview and indeed getting a job. The number of interviews you had is actually pretty good. It means that your applications address what a school district is looking for in a candidate/potential teacher. It sounds like, you are doing everything you need to do. So pad yourself on the shoulder!

From the sounds of it, you are still in the running for one position. Try not to give up hope, or let everything that has happened, beat you down. Plus, you still have a month and it is possible that something could still come up. Plus, I would encourage you to take a break, take a time out and try to re-energise.

When you are an interview, how do you feel they are going?

3. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Mirko :slight_smile:

I am proud of the number of interviews I've gotten. While some of my friends got job offers early on, others have gotten nothing, so I am proud of myself for that. A school I interviewed for last week is also ranked #2 in the state, so I was impressed with myself for that. My student teaching supervisor constantly hypes me up too whenever I tell her I have an interview coming up.

I am still in the running for one. I should hear tomorrow from them if I move on to the next round or not (of course I find it stupid that they're doing another round when their school literally starts on Thursday...). It's a great district and I would honestly be happy to work there. Moving would be a hassle but my aunt and uncle live about 40 minutes away so I would be able to stay with them most likely while searching for a place to live. The only thing that makes me nervous there is that if I were to get hired, I would pretty much have no time to prepare anything and I'd be spending all of my free time in the next few weeks doing that.

Every time I leave an interview I think it goes well, while acknowledging where I screwed up (major hesitations, stumbling, etc.). We have a family friend who is a retired superintendent that I sat down with in July (he helped my sister as well). I've improved my answers and mannerisms since then, but not much improvement. I get first round, but don't move on from there (the one right now, the first round was technically just a screening round). The only interview I got to the second round for was actually my home district and they swapped the typical order of rounds (first was submitting a recorded lesson and second was an in-person interview).

I would absolutely love to take this time and focus on me, read, write, go to a gym, sub, and re-focus myself. The problem is my family, I'm still living with them. While my parents say they just want me to be happy, they also want me to be doing something. My sister, who doesn't live with us, pretty much believes that if I don't do something now (sub constantly, go to grad school, etc.) then I will just reach a dead end.

4. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! :slight_smile:

It is good that you are proud of your accomplishments, in terms of getting the interviews. You should be!

It sounds like you are doing everything you need to do when it comes to preparation, ensuring you are ready for it. It also seems that you have learned from past mistakes and try to implement what you have learned during subsequent interviews. I am wondering, have you asked the interviewers directly for feedback after an interview?

I'll cross my fingers; hopefully it will be the news you are waiting for. :slight_smile:

It might be worthwhile not worrying about what happens after the interview. As you are getting closer to the beginning of the school year, it is possible that you will still get some interviews; worrying about what happens after, might make you more nervous or perhaps rob you of the very concentration you might need during an interview. While it does create some pressure, I am sure you can handle it. If teaching is something you love doing, you'll be fine, even if you are missing some prep time at the beginning or won't have as much as free time as you would like.

Not sure, I would draw the same conclusion because sometimes, people do take a break, or even just go and travel for a while before taking on a position or a job. I think often times success depends on what one makes with what one has. Let's say if nothing works out for the end of the summer or beginning of autumn, take a couple of weeks to have a break and then go at it with a fresh mind, fresh start. I'd agree it would be good to do something (even if it is volunteering in an after school program) but one thing that would be good to avoid is to start a job being burned out from the job search itself, especially if it comes to jobs that are higher energy in nature. :slight_smile:

5. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear you've had a stressful summer man.

It's pretty normal for any job application for 2/3 or more of them to get ignored entirely so there's nothing out of the ordinary there, however generally if you get an interview you can get the job. So considering you've gotten 8 interviews but no offers so far, clearly there's nothing wrong with your application on paper, but there is something lacking in the interview which is causing you to not be picked over others. If you still have access to your university career center, I'd suggest asking one of their student job placement people to work with you in depth on interviewing. If you don't have access to that, there are lots of free online things and paid services that do the same stuff which would be worth your time to find out specifically what is going wrong in interviews and how to fix it (I did this with my career center, and it turned out to be something as minor as looking away from the interviewer while thinking about what to say instead of keeping my gaze on them, once that was fixed I started getting acceptances to things immediately).

It's also not really that big of a deal to not find a job in your major right away even though everyone thinks it is in college. You can just get a random job doing anything to pay bills for a year and spend time after work on all the things you said you wanted to do, focus on you etc. and nobody in the hiring departments or grad schools will care at all that you took a year off from educational stuff next time you apply.

It'll all work out in the end man, seriously, you have the rest of your life to teach. If you can't start now just have fun and try new things while you still have that freedom for the next year, a lot of my friends best stories about the most fun they've had came from totally random gap-year jobs (like one who was a lifeguard at a hotel for a year and has endless hilarious stories about it).

6. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best wishes to you as you go into this interview.

The only advice I have is that I was told to have plans for after an interview. Something about having the interview as the one big thing in the day put pressure on me, and I think that bleeds through. But if I have something to look forward to afterwards, then my psyche knows there is life after the interview... and that vibe is better for folks to see.

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, nothing yet from the school I interviewed at yesterday, but I did get offered an interview at another one on Friday.
    I haven't, just because I'm not entirely sure how to do that. That's why I sat down with our family friend though. He's a recently retired superintendent and has done plenty of interviews so we did a mock interview and he told what was good, what needed to be worked on, etc.
    I try to really focus on the present when I'm interviewing but it's hard to do when you have to do school research to prep and you start to really like the school. A lot of these schools I would be thrilled to work at the more I look into them.
    I do still have access, but out career center is woefully incompetent when it comes to education majors. They act like teaching interviews and the application process is exactly like other jobs but...it's not. My meeting with our family friend is to fix exactly those things that you mentioned. Some of them I've already worked on.
    Except it kind of is a big deal when it comes to teaching, which is why trying to find a job ASAP has been frustrating. It may not seem like it, but it is. Things change at such a rapid pace that if you're not up to date with things, you fall behind. One of my mom's friends taught for 10 years in another state before moving back to PA and she hasn't been able to find a job because she's so out of touch with how modern classrooms work.
    I like this! And I've actually tried this. For example, yesterday I went to work right after my interview yesterday which is normally a good distraction (but we were super slow which made me want to just keep checking my email). I definitely need to do this more often.

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give them a few days to make a decision. It's great that you have a further interview; hope it goes well. :slight_smile:

Ah okay. It is good that you are speaking with the retired superintendent - family friend; that said I can only encourage you to complete follow-ups and to ask for feedback. While the competition can be stiff, and of course there are a limited number of positions going around, thinking about the number of interviews you have had to this point, I am almost willing to bet that there is something that is preventing you from getting to the next step. You mentioned that you have worked on your mannerisms - would you mind elaborating on it?

To ask for feedback, e-mail the person that interviewed or is the contact person in the interview panel (typically the person that also sent you the invite). In your e-mail, thank them again for inviting you to the interview and indicate that you would like to have some feedback on the interview, specifically on the answers you have provided, if there is something you can improve and/or if there was information that they were looking for, but you did not provide.

For example a follow-up could look like this:

Understandably, asking for feedback is not easy, but it can potentially give you some insights that you might not get through the mock interview (as important as it is when preparing). Asking for feedback could potentially open doors in the future, because it shows that you are interested in self-improvement, are not shy of asking for feedback, and the information you gain, you can apply to a future interview.

Related, think about your body language. Sometimes, we get so caught up on answering a question, without realising that our body language gives a different picture or might not be aligned to what we are trying to communicate. 50% of our communication is done with our body language, including eye contact. In an interview, try to check in with yourself about your body language.

Try to take a step back. If you find yourself becoming nervous or worried about things, take a deep breath and try to ground yourself, as much as you can. Being a bit nervous and worried is okay, but I do wonder, if the pressure, the worries you are experiencing are creating a barrier for you to get to the next stage. When we are frustrated about things, worried about falling behind, all that (unfortunately) can make itself known in an interview - even without you realising it.

When you walk into an interview, try to think about the fact that you would be thrilled to have an opportunity to teach; think about what allows you to enjoy teaching, the feelings you have when you know that you make a difference in the lives of the children/youths you are teaching. :slight_smile:

9. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm willing to give it until today, but they need to do Round 2 and make decisions fast, so if I don't hear today I'm safely assuming. This other one, though, I'm definitely going into it giving it my all.
    It was a lot of little things. Like making sure I'm making eye contact with everyone in the interview, making sure I know where I'm looking (when I think of answers I tend to look upwards), my posture, how I was sitting, etc. My first interview after that I think I was too aware of my body language but now I'm becoming better.

And we worked on my answers to common questions. The best example was "What does a typical day in your classroom look like?" I had been giving this long answer and now I condense it to "Controlled chaos"...and then elaborate on what exactly that means.
    Do you think it would be odd to ask for feedback months or weeks later? Like assuming I get no job, just sit down and write out emails to each district all in one day. I've sent thank you emails to each district I've interviewed with, but always just simple thank yous and not asking for feedback.
    I actually go into each interview fairly confident, not really nervous. Even once I leave, I just think, "That went well." I think it helps that every interview I've had so far starts off pretty predictable. The only part of the interview process I really haven't gotten to experience yet is the typical second round.

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you haven't heard back by the end of today, or tomorrow morning, and knowing that there is a deadline for hiring approaching, you could send them a follow-up e-mail and ask if they have made a hiring decision. As you may know, you could take this opportunity to re-iterate your interest in the position as well. Sometimes, this helps to make a difference.

Ah okay. It sounds like you have identified some of the things that could be a hindrance to getting to the next stage, and it is good that you feel you are getting better at it and I suppose are more mindful of your body language and making eye contact.

I am curious, do you need to answer behavioural interview questions as part of the interview, thus needing to use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action and Results) method, when answering? In other words, walking the interviewers through a situation while describing what you did, and how you solved an issue or overcame a problem in the classroom or with a student.

If I am honest, and the way it is stated, this would be a red flag for me. How do you define 'controlled chaos'?

"What does a typical day in your classroom look like?" is of course a broad question, but it is also a question that could easily trip one up, similarly to the question, 'tell me about yourself.' I can see a potential answer being connected to some of your teaching methods, in particular keeping in mind student engagement and the differences in how individual students learn.

While you are likely answering a question on teaching methods and how you engage students, an answer could potentially also reflect aspects of your lesson plans, or be an opportunity to add more information on how you engage students in the learning process.

In some respects, this question, in conjunction with others on your interpersonal skills, would give the interviewers good insights into how well you would fit in the existing teaching staff.

Plus, at the end of the interview, do you have an opportunity to ask a couple of questions as well? If so, do you have 2 to 3 questions for the interviewers?

One of the major reasons why potential employees are not getting a job offer or are invited to the next round/stage in an interview process is that they don't provide sufficient examples, information on how they would implement the responsibilities of the job or do the job.

I would start with it going forward. Don't worry about the interviews that happened some time ago. If you had an interview last week, or the week before and have just recently heard back, you could still try it, but it would be really more for going forward, as mentioned.

That's good. Feeling good about it, is a good sign. When you think back on the interviews you have had, and thinking critically about it, is there something that would stand out as "I could do [this], or answer [this]" differently?

11. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sort of? I'm good at those because my kids in student teaching were bizarre and I have many examples (and sometimes I honestly make up things). Usually when questions like those happen they aren't straightforward and are more along the lines of "Tell us about a time you struggled" and I'll talk about my moral dilemma over changing students' grades for sports eligibility. Or I'll get asked "Tell us about a time you used technology, it didn't work out well, and what you did to fix it" stuff along those lines. I would actually be very prepared if they asked me questions like that straightforward.
    The controlled chaos response was actually something that was worked on and crafted. I usually say something along the lines of "My co-op and I would sometimes describe the classroom as controlled chaos because..." and go into why that's a good thing. I have kids up and moving all the time, it's how I teach. Some teachers want students in seats and being well-behaved all the time, but I thrive on a classroom that actually feels lively.

I use the short phrase as a kind of keyword and then break down my typical lesson piece by piece so that they know I actually have order in my chaos.
    Always have time for questions. We're pretty sure for one of the phone interviews I had, the reason I didn't move on forward was because I asked nothing. I have a standard one I've been asking that, depending on their answer, allows me to bring up my passion for working with foster kids, and it also helps give me a better feel for the district. I usually ask that and I've come up with one or two more out of necessity from my last interview.
    Oh, every single interview. A lot of the time it'll be "Oh, I forgot to mention this experience" or "THIS is how I could've said that better!" I mean, some of the stuff I forget to mention is already in my application, but that's the opportunity to elaborate so I beat myself up a little. At this point, I'm really trying to get interviews for the base purpose of getting interview experience. With each one I become more confident. Even with the one I have tomorrow morning, I feel ready and determined even though it's not admittedly a first choice school for me.

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First things first, never ever make something up in an interview. The interviewers will know. If you wanted to have a reason as to why you are not getting to the next round, that could very well be it. Chierro, you are shooting yourself in the foot, every time you make something up. Even though you might feel that they are not noticing it, they are because your body language is telling the story to the interviewers. Your body language will change the moment you start embellishing things, or being dishonest/making things up.

Using too many examples, or not providing enough information for an example, could most likely be another reason.

The example you provide for the moral dilemma, and depending on what the end result is, or how you handled that, could potentially (inadvertently) give a picture of an unethical practice - which would be a dead end in an interview. Did you change student grades? If so, how did you change them? Did you have them do additional assignments to help them to improve their grades? Or did they get to redo an assignment?

I would very much encourage you to prepare three or four examples (maximum) that allow you to highlight how you meet the requirements for the position, and that you can draw on to answer questions. You can use an example to explain different tasks, responsibilities and how you have used your skills as a teacher. Think about the situation and then about the things you did to solve the situation. It does not matter what it is. But it has to be true. If you start making things up, and even if you get to the next round, it will come out sooner or later. Nothing is stopping an interviewer during a reference check for example, to probe some of the things you mentioned during an interview.

Use examples that in some way or another, not only highlight the very requirements for the position you have applied to but also provide insights into related skills. As you know, as a teacher some of the skills you need to have are:
    • Patience, mentoring, teamwork, empathy, problem solving skills, organisational skills, creativity, adaptability, communication skills, active listening, leadership, continuous learning and self-improvement, self-reflection, classroom management skills
    The questions that you are being asked, including behavioural questions, will touch on one or a combination of these skills, which your answers need to speak to.

The questions of "Tell us about a time you struggled," "Tell us about a time you used technology....." are classic behavioural interview questions for your career field. These types of questions you need to answer using the Situation, Task, Action and Results (STAR) method. Interviewers ask these types of questions to get insights into how you handle different situations. It also allows them to judge your decision making, critical and analytical thinking skills, empathy, and understanding of your job as a teacher overall - among a range of skills.

Preparing for these kinds of questions might take a bit longer but they also allow you to "show" to the interviewers, why you are a good fit for the position you applied to.This is crucial in any interview.

In order to prepare for them, you need to place yourself back in the situation that you are using as an example. When you start drafting an answer, describe the situation, by starting with "While doing my practicum or co-op at [name] school and teaching [grade...], - provide the context for the situation, problem, issue that you encountered. Think about, where, when, who, what.

From there, describe the aims you had, and what was the problem, issue. Then mention the 'Action,' specifically indicate what you did. How did you solve an issue, problem or overcome a challenge? The "how" part being in many ways the most important piece - what did you do? Once you have that, end the example with the results. The results can be for example something positive, they can be an accomplishment, or they can be something you have learned about yourself.

Always remember, the most important questions that interviewers want to have answered in their minds are: are you a good fit for the school? How do you manage yourself? Can you apply what you have learned and build on your experience?

I'm wondering, would this teaching style fit every school you are applying to? If I were in your situation, I wouldn't use the terminology you are using (if you are using it). You can describe a classroom where you want students to be lively in a way that adds value, benefits to students' learning in so many different ways, but you also need to be mindful as to how you are describing your teaching methods.

Not asking questions can be a reason for sure, and I am glad that you have started asking some questions; however, and as you know, some questions are better than others. Try to think strategically about the kinds of questions you want to have answered. If you don't mind me asking, what are the questions you have asked so far?

This is where working on answers to behavioural interview questions could potentially really help you because they force you to think about a situation in its entirety before you get down to the core of it. This could help you in not forgetting things (perhaps important ones) when answering questions.

Even though you feel ready for the interview with a school that is not your first choice, try not to go into it with these thoughts, i.e. the school is not my first choice. At this point, don't worry about first, second, third, etc... choices.

I would really encourage you to make sure that your passion for teaching, working with foster kids, etc.... comes out in most, if not every answer you provide. I really do hope that the interview goes well for you.

13. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I should clarify "sometimes." I really meant one time at a school I had absolutely no intention or expectation to get hired at. Fantastic district, but I treated it mainly as an experience interview. And what I made up was really how I should have improved the lesson, which is something I had talked in depth with my advisor about. I guess more slight elaboration than making up? It's not something I do often, honestly. I have plenty of good examples to base answers off of.
    So, the one time I really remember using that, I phrased my answer along the way of I deferred to my co-op to see how she would respond and ultimately we let the student make changes on a writing assignment to improve the grade. I admitted it was something I was not exactly comfortable with, but a common practice among some teachers at my school (and even they're uncomfortable with it but pressured sometimes).
    Good thing is that I have a plethora of examples to draw from. I even have some student data and sample lesson plans that I keep on hand just in case anyone would want to look. I usually have standard examples I use for certain questions, but many questions I can pull something out. I've been going back and referencing my daily journal, though, to recall more of a variety of examples for different purposes.
    I'd never heard of the STAR method before you mentioned it, but it definitely seems like a much better structure than I've been using and I'm definitely going to work on using that in the future.
    I know this style wouldn't fit every school and, while I know this sounds crazy, that's part of why I keep it. Everyone tells first-year teachers that they can't be picky but at the same time, I want to teach somewhere where my lessons can be a little bit crazy and insane and if the principal walks it'll seem like chaos but the students are learning and enjoying themselves. For example, my most successful lesson had a classroom full of 7th graders running around accusing others of being communists ("monsters" by I had based the lesson off the Red Scare) for 40 minutes. I could've down some background info PowerPoint, but they got so much more out of it doing it the way I had taught it. There are a bunch of schools that are very rigid in how they do things...and I don't want to be at those kinds of schools.

Now, I also often get asked how I will address the needs of all students in my classroom, and that's where I break down specifics and get examples and make it clear that things would not always be like that. And I'll give examples of letting my students sit wherever they wanted as long as they were quietly working and every class followed that even if they were sitting with friends, sitting on the floor, sitting on the counter, etc.
    Initially my questions were bad:
    "Do you have a mentoring program?" Everyone does and has too.
    "What programs do you use?" Very basic and requires explanation.​
    Questions along those lines, very basic.

Now I've started asking along the lines of:
    "What does the district, or more specifically the middle/high school do to help students who are struggling and support them?" This is broader and shows I want to help students. It also helps me get a feel for the school because some just talk about academic support, some just talk about emotional/mental support, and some talk about a mix of the two.
    "What do you like about the district?" It helps show that I am interested in what they have to say and it's fun to hear them gush about their district.​
    I also sometimes ask about a timeline if they don't just offer one up right away. Some do, some don't, and the reason I spent weeks worrying in June is because I was stupid and didn't ask at a district I really wanted.
    Forgetting things has always been a bad weakness of mine. I gave the same speech six times a summer to a group of incoming college freshmen for three years straight and I would forget things every time. So I've really been trying to practice answers more for that exact reason. The behavioral ones I don't often forget, but the basic ones are oddly were I forget the most.
    I do my best to make my passion clear. Often, a question will result in an answer of "I absolutely love what I do. I love reading and writing and helping others and working with students...etc." Whenever I give examples from student teaching, I reinforce how much I love my students.

Now time to go get dressed and kill this interview!

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi :slight_smile:

How did the interview go?

I'll respond to the above post later today as there a few things to consider and think about.

15. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it went well! (Of course, I think every interview goes well...)

Definitely my largest panel of interviewers at seven: the superintendent, the admin team for the district (3), the head English teacher, and two school board members. Each one asked about two questions. Many of the questions were ones I've had before and made sure to elaborate more with in depth examples and whenever I could, I referenced previous answers I had given to tie everything together. The only question that slightly tripped me up was a straightforward question asking what I know about the district and why I want to work there. It surprised me at first, but then I was able to spin my experience at a small school district into why I want to work at a similarly small school district.

Other than that, though, I feel good about my answers. I realized retrospectively how I could have built on them more, but I feel good. I kept looking over to the English teacher to gauge her reaction and she seemed to respond well.

So now we wait. There was at least one interview after mine. They said they may want a second round but also may make a decision off of today, so just have to hope I gave it my all (and hope that the fact that the Super used to work at the district I gushed over and knows my uncle helps in my favor).

16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear that you feel it went well and it seems that you were able to provide more information this time around. Which is a good step. :slight_smile:

That said, every time I read a response on how the interviews are going for you, what you say, what you do, more red flags are going up. I know you are trying to give it your best but something curious keeps popping up. While you feel an interview went well, at the same time you do provide glimpses into the fact that the interviews haven't been going well, or as well as they probably could have gone.

There is a reason why you have had the number of interviews you had without having the chance to participate in a second round, or a job offer. I can sense how this is slowly eating away at you because you are realising that the pool of possibilities is getting smaller. You definitely have learned a few things from previous interviews, some of the things that are vital and can make or break your interview, but now you need to take this to the next level.

Being able to self-reflect, deconstruct what went wrong, is an important skill that teachers need to have, and use on a regular basis. Related, being able to be humble is an important trait/characteristic for the very profession you would like to pursue. Strangely enough, this is not coming through when you highlight how you are answering interview questions. In fact, I am getting the opposite impression - just with what you have said so far.

What sparked the impression I got first and foremost, is your description of the "controlled chaos" and the related quote below:

If you know that this style doesn't fit every school, and that everyone tells you that "first-year teachers can't be picky," and you are (still) using it as an example, you are basically telling them 'I have a method that works better than what you do." .... in so many words. Essentially, you are saying to the interviewers, "Even though I have limited experience, I already know what I am doing."

As a teacher who is starting out, you need to communicate that your learning has just begun and that while you have a preference in a method that you have seen works well, you are still willing and quite open to considering different methods, different possibilities of teaching, that you are flexible, adaptable. If you provide one answer speaking to that, and then you provide the "controlled chaos" answer, you are contradicting your answers - you are sending the wrong message.

This is where being humble and self-reflective comes in. When you think about the behavioural interview questions you had to answer, most of them will probe in some way or another exactly that, in addition to what I have mentioned previously.

In other words, when you use an example to explain how you have used a skill, how you have managed a classroom, how you have engaged with students, your answer by default will shed light on related skills, abilities, and the very traits that you have or hold to be important.

Let me add and related to the above, while you need to come across as being confident, believing in yourself and your abilities, please keep in mind that there is a fine line between being confident and being overconfident - in particular when communicating accomplishments or the very things one is proud of. The former is something every employer (including school boards, and individual schools), wants to see in an interviewee, while the latter is unfortunately a turn off, as it communicates unwillingness to learn, not being flexible and/or adaptable, not being able to listen to others or engage in active listening. However, for a wide range of professions, including education, these are also part of the core skills that are required to succeed.

Try to be very mindful of the intended and the (potentially) unintended messages that your answers are sending to the interviewers.

One question to ask yourself, when you prepare for an interview and also when checking in with yourself, during and after an interview is "how am I coming across"? "Am I showing that I am willing to do what it takes to learn and be successful in my job, career"? "Am I coming across as believing in myself, my abilities but also show that I understand that I have areas that I need to improve in, and learn"?

I am mentioning all of this, because I do want you to succeed, knowing how important teaching is to you. Your passion, enthusiasm despite the hard, long days at times, are clearly there. Plus, I am also saying all of this, because a friend of mine and others I know, approached things in a very similar way in which you seem to be approaching things, and ended up missing out on opportunities, and even lost their careers. You don't strike me as someone who wants to be in the situation of having lost a career that they have worked hard for.

This sounds a little better, but it still might not be the best example to use as the interpretation of it, could go both ways. If you are using it, and to be on the safe side, you need to place an emphasis on the ethical side, because another school might have an issue with it (have you done that in your answer?). If this is the school you wanted to be at, and you provide a hint that you could potentially be unethical, even though you might not intend to, your application most likely won't be considered further.

While the new questions you have are better, I wonder, if you could phrase the first question differently? The reason being is that it could be something that you can find out by doing research on the school's or the school district's website. Plus, you are potentially setting yourself up for pretty much saying to them "this is something I was not looking for." As you are just starting out in your career field, looking for your first real job as it were, can you afford to send that message?

What is, or what would be, your response when their answer is, "we only have the academic support." How do you, or would you, engage the interviewers afterwards? They could always come back to you and ask a follow-up question of their own.

17. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The "first-year" teachers can't be picky thing has been something I've always disagreed with and its a really simple explanation why: I don't want a job to just have a job. I want to find a place that I enjoy and feel I can grow there. For example, I know that I could apply for positions in Maryland or Virginia and get them...easy. They want teachers and PA teachers are well-known for accreditation purposes. But...I don't want that. I don't want to just be at a school for a year just to get the experience while also looking every chance I get for other positions. I know wholeheartedly that I need to find a place that fits me. I know that might sound crazy and self-sabotaging as someone who is just starting out but it's one of the few things I know that I need.

The reason I keep my answer is based off of that and because...that's just how I teach. I need to find somewhere that is okay with lessons that are a little outside of the norm. I do other things, I try other methods, and I say that during interviews, but at the heart of it, that two word answer explains my basis. Even yesterday, I elaborated on my answer by saying, "In a span of 20 minutes, I could have one student in 6 different groups with different students constantly moving around the room and on their laptops but they're engaged and they're learning." The answer is intended to show that I'm not someone who just stands at the front of the room with students in rows and columns and lecture. They're up and moving, working with their peers, I'm walking around the room, they're doing projects that are atypical but they're engaged. But I also make it clear that every lesson varies depending on the content, not every lesson is the same and things change based on what works and what doesn't work.

I am a very flexible person and while that answer may not always show it, I make sure others do. Such as mentioning tweaking lessons throughout the day when something goes wrong early on, adjusting how tech is used in various ways, I even explained yesterday how I used student data to entirely change how I did readings in class because some students didn't enjoy it and I emphasized that I care about the comfort of my students.

I got into this career to shake things up because I think the standard ways I was taught are boring and outdated, and I know my method isn't perfect and I'm more than willing to grow and change, but overwhelmingly, my students responded well to it. And I'm always happy to explain that I'm ready and willing to grow (especially if they ask about weaknesses and how I plan to improve on them...but not everyone asks that), it just depends on if there is an opportunity in the interview to organically fit that in without making it feel awkward.

(I'm really not trying to come across as a dick, Mirko, I really, really appreciate you taking your time to discuss this in depth with me and I do understand what you're saying, I'm just trying to explain my thought process more to help you understand why I give that answer.)
    The reason I don't use it often is because I know how murky it is. I especially don't use it if I know a district is big on sports. I do my research ahead of time and you can often tell when a district cares a lot about sports, a lot about academics, or a healthy balance between the two. But, yeah, I really don't use it often, and honestly regretted using it the first time, but it was a question I hadn't received before and this was the first thing to come to mind, so I went with it and did my best to explain.
    Interestingly enough, it's not something that's easily found online for a lot of districts. Sometimes they'll mention that they have guidance counselors (they have to) or a built in study period, but I can never find elaborations online. If I can find it, I won't ask it, or I'll rephrase it so that if I found academic, I'll lean more into the emotional/mental support and vice versa. Many districts sadly have subpar websites that don't have information like that readily available, or they have minor information available but they're able to give me so much more. (For example, one district I had saw had a built in study period but when I asked that they had talked about how they have a therapist come into school 2-3 times a week for students if need-be which was something I thought was fantastic.)

And my questions don't often turn into a back and forth, the few times it's happened, I added in a little something about myself, but then it's simply "Do you have anymore questions?" I would respond to something like that though with reiterating my long-term sub experience in a learning support classroom and really emphasizing how I saw in that role how important academic support systems are for student achievement outside of just a regular classroom.

#17 Chierro, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  18. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay... let's take a step back here, and I am going to be upfront with you as it is concerning as to what seems to be happening.

Are you aware that you are coming across as being arrogant? - One of the major reason why job seekers are not successful in interviews or even their jobs.

Reading over your last post, you are placing yourself on a pedestal, even though you don't have any real experience in your field yet; you are trying to start out, to learn what it means to be a teacher. Your (real) learning begins now. You have an education and some practicums, in class experience, but this is just the base to begin with.

If you go in with this:

and everything else you have mentioned about teaching methods, how you approach things, thus far, the chances of even a school or district outside of your state hiring you is going to be slim - even if you wanted that. The moment you are starting to talk about the "controlled chaos," you are telling the very people that you are asking to hire you, to give you a chance to prove that you can be a good teacher, and to supervise you, "I am using a better teaching method than what you are using at this school, and it is tried, tested and true." In addition, you are actually telling them "I am not going to be a good fit for this school or district." This is essentially what you are communicating.

It does not matter what else you say in another answer, including being able to adjust lessons, being flexible, having ideas, being able to make changes to your lesson plan to ensure you are meeting the needs of students, and everything else is going to get lost. Even if you ask a good or even great question at the end, and even if you made sure that it is a question you can't find an answer to online, it doesn't matter anymore.

Yes, you need to find a school in which you feel comfortable, but when you start out in your field you also need to need to build experience, you need to build vital connections, and you need people to take you seriously. Everything I know about what it means to be a middle school and/or secondary school teacher, what that profession entails, you don't build these with walking into your field, the way you seem to be walking into it.

It is great that you have a method that seems to be working well, and that you are trying new things, willing to take chances, but the way you explain this, and the context in which you provide it, needs to be different. Taking initiative and being willing to take risks, are great skills to have and they certainly have a place in education but you need to be aware of how to communicate these skills.

Indeed, you are sabotaging yourself, and possibly, your career as a teacher with it.

Interviewers are going to be professional, and often times, they are not going to let on that they have already made a decision half-ways through the interview. If by chance your answers are scored against other candidates' answers and how they have conducted themselves in the interview, having someone on the hiring committee who could put in a good word for you, might not be sufficient anymore.

Chierro, you need to reset how you a) prepare for interviews, and b) how you go into one, how you communicate your skills, abilities and (limited) experience. You had nine to ten interviews, and by your own admission, you haven't had one invitation for a second round yet. It is time to let go of what you want, and begin to address what the school you have applied to needs.

Let's see what happens with the last interview that you had, but I highly encourage you, and recommend that you start thinking critically as to how you are approaching everything, including your very profession in which you want to start out in.

19. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I'm clearly not doing a great job at getting my thoughts across as intended because I'm honestly trying to not, but I also feel like I may have miscommunicated some things, so I'll try and clarify them because I can understand how that's coming across. There's a fine line between arrogance and confidence, and I can see how I'm leaning towards the former.
    So, the controlled chaos bit, I don't think I really explained how I got there. That was workshopped. When I sat down with our family friend, who was a teacher, principal, and superintendent in local districts for years, and we got to that question he told me flat out, "That answer you're giving is not something they want." So, we talked about that. We broke down my teaching philosophy and he explained to me why giving that and then breaking it down on what that means makes more sense than just saying, "Well, first I start off with a bellringer and then..." The chaos part was reinforced by the fact that I had 60~ 7th graders for 16 weeks and 7th grade is a grade that is known to be...chaotic no matter what you do. Anyone I've talked to that has experience in schools about my student teaching, as soon as they find out what grade they always make a face. It's well-known that 7th grade (and middle school in general) is a behavioral challenge, so in my answer and my methods, I'm showing that I'm allowing my students to express themselves and do things a little differently than may have been done standard in the past, but it's not going overboard. Like I've said, I always follow that short answer up with a structured outline of a typical lesson and while that outline may vary from day to day, there is always some form of structure.

The thing is, I don't know how teachers in each of these districts teach because...everyone teaches differently. That's not something I can know. Sometimes I can look up what they teach, but the how is a mystery--I don't even know how their classrooms are set up. Some teachers teach like I do. Some use older methods. Everyone teaches differently and that's not anything I can know going into an interview. It would be great if that's something I could know and I could tailor my responses to that...but I can't. When I said that I know that my methods don't work for everyone is because for some they won't, but that's not anything I can know going into an interview for a specific district. The best I can speak to is what I've done and my experiences.

My answer is my teaching philosophy. I want my students to be engaged, to enjoy what they're doing, to learn to love reading and writing in different ways. And here are the ways I've tried that have engaged my students that may be considered different than some other teachers. I can't change my teaching philosophy, that's the core of what I believe in. And everyone has a different teaching philosophy.

But, the moment I get asked my biggest weakness the two things I say are: I'm fresh out of college and don't have a lot of experience and I did all of my student teaching in the same class (which was out of my control), and while I loved my students, I wish I could have gotten to experience other grades or different groups of kids. I'm very honest when it comes to my weaknesses. Piggybacking off of that is usually asking how I can improve on my weaknesses and I usually go with learning from my students. Seeing what works and what doesn't with different students in different grades and appropriately adjusting. The problem is that not everyone asks about my weaknesses and they're not something I can organically fit in since many questions are rigid, but I love the districts that do ask. I know I am not perfect and I don't pretend to be.

Looking back on my interviews, some of them I know my faults easily. In one, I inadvertently criticized my co-op (whom I love and we have very similar personalities) because of mentioning that a student told me after I left (when I came back to sub) that class had become boring because my co-op simply teaches differently than I do. In another, I used the answer of changing grades in response to "Tell us about something that happened during your teaching experience that challenged your beliefs" because I don't fundamentally agree with changing grades simply for sports eligibility, however, I could have given a different answer. In one, I just forgot to ask a follow up question. I do look critically at what I've done and worked on improving from there.

I know I am not perfect, and that's why I'm trying to use this dialogue to work through my own thoughts, see my faults, try and work on said faults, and improve. I know it may not exactly seem like it, but I am taking your words to heart, Mirko, which is why as soon as I saw arrogant, I realized that I may need to clarify some things better because I understand how that's coming across.

20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is good that you recognised it; I wonder though, is it something that happens in an interview or in the interviews as well (by chance)? It is easy to fall onto the wrong side of being confident, in particular when you know you have a time limit, perhaps are a bit nervous, know that with every interview passing the pressure mounts, etc....

One way to figure this out, would be to write out the answer you have provided so far (including any variations). Doing that, it should reveal on which side the answer is falling. Also pay attention to the very words you are using to describe how you teach. What do the words you are using communicate? And when you look at the entire paragraph, ask yourself, how is this coming across?

When you talk about your teaching philosophy, how much context are you providing, and how much emphasis are you placing on the structure and typical lesson compared to doing things a little differently?

It is true that you won't have all the insights, and that others have their own teaching philosophy. That would hold true for others who applied to the same position(s) and have been invited to the next stage or perhaps have been successful in getting the opportunity. Throughout your education, you learned about different teaching methods, philosophies. It is quite possible that the interviewers are more interested in wanting to know (in greater details perhaps than you are providing), whether you can apply what you have learned during your education and practicums. You can talk about what you have noticed has worked well for you, and how you have incorporated it into your teaching philosophy while also making sure you address the question of "how did you apply the very concepts, ideas you have learned to your teaching?" I wonder, if some of it is getting lost in related answers.

To help yourself to gain some insights on preferred teaching methods, teaching philosophies used by teachers who are currently teaching, try to do some career research interviews, prior to an interview. Basically, you set up a meeting with a teacher who is teaching at a school to which you could be applying to, and ask that teacher about what teaching is like at the school, what are some of the values of the school, how are the classrooms typically set up. You could even ask a teacher, if they would allow you to sit in a class and observe. Once you have done that, you can incorporate the fact that you spoke with a teacher or teachers, and observed how they taught a class/subject, and what you have learned from it, in one of your answers.

Doing that, could potentially provide you with a wealth of information and more insights into what is missing when you answer interview questions, or indeed if there is something you are saying that is not what they would be looking for in a candidate. Try to get to know the workplace culture as it were; get to know, what's happening in the school or district you want to apply to.

When it comes to the weaknesses, and as you know, you need to be able to turn them into strengths or you need to show that you have improved on something. You need to show to the interviewers what you have learned from your weakness using your experience, a situation that has happened - so using your limited experience itself (i.e. saying :I don't have a lot of experience) as a weakness, which the interviewers would have already been able to see from your resume/application, might not be the best choice.

Think about a situation that you encountered while doing your practicum - what have you learned about yourself? Is there something you could have done better? And then turned around and done it better? Do you still remember what you have learned from it, when you face a similar situation today, or would face a similar situation? In other words, have you engaged in self-improvement, and what would you do to keep engaging in it?

You can use an aspect of your experience, such as having only taught the same class or one grade. While it seems that you are starting to show that you can adapt, maybe have another look at the answer, and see if you highlight enough of your transferable skills, abilities and knowledge, in your answer. You want to show that you can handle challenges, situations that you haven't encountered or are new to you - essentially, turn a negative into a positive.

If by chance you are using the term "weakness" in your answer, try not to do that, as using the term will diminish the positive aspects that you are trying to convey.

If you think about the last couple of interviews, what are some of the other answers where you feel you could have answered them better?

Also, are you practicing answering interview questions with someone before every interview?

#20 Mirko, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019