1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling old, lonely and like my life is basically over

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Steve65, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow Evgeny, this is just fantastic! Isn't it odd that you are brave enough to skydive and have no fear of flying, but are so concerned about what people think of you and whether you're a disappointment?

I agree with you, flying is relaxing. I really enjoy it. But traveling abroad, alone, is anxiety provoking. I remember when I was eating in a pub in Yorkshire and a wave of panic overcame me...very close to a full blown panic attack. I immediately found a payphone and called my best friend in Boston. She calmed me down and I'm embarrassed about it now. But at that moment I felt so far away.. an ocean away, and I knew no one. I can't explain it, I was terrified, even though I was eating a nice meal in a relaxing atmosphere.

I distinctly remember when I was 11 years old and realized that I was gay. I remember thinking to myself, well, I'm attracted to men, so I guess I must be gay. That was in 1977, when anti gay sentiment was high. Anita Bryant was spewing hate, religious stations on TV doing the same. And my church and school (Catholic), took an anti gay stand. I even overheard my parents suggest they separate my brother and I (we shared a bedroom). But I knew I was gay, there was no denying it. Letting people down never occurred to me. Being gay was innate, it was who I was...I was not going to live a lie. I just didn't make it well known. I didn't tell a close friend until I was about 16. And I had no gay friends. I just didn't feel the need to pretend. I also didn't feel that being my true self would let down those closest to me. I guess my attitude was...deal with it. But at the same time, I had problems coming to terms with it, and wondering what the future would hold

It's been a long road. But even though I still have issues with being gay, I was never ready to deny who I really was.

Thanks for the very interesting, enlightening post!

2. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks, I vaguely remember the rhetoric of Anita Bryant. I do remember the catholic church taking up the banner against homosexuality. I was catholic too. That is part of my problem; catholic school all way into sophomore in high school. I didn't figure out my sexuality until 17 too interested in motorsports from ages14 to 17. Mortified at the realization of being gay I ran away from home on the weekend made it to Iowa from Illinois before I realized how stupid I was being and turned around. No one knew but me so I decided to deny it. Another stupid idea, I was full of them from 14 - 18 and my parents were livid with me. I was the most problematic child of four; poor academics from 2nd grade to junior in high school. I was always under admonishment. These I think are the reasons why I feel the need for approval. After 18 I have nothing but awards and accolades and family was in attendance for my second award of the Meritorious Service Medal(MSM). I have proved my metal numerous times, I'm not the screw up kid everybody remembers. This self-image is what I'm competing with. I think I need to destroy this self-image before it destroys me.

Do you feel comfortable in large crowd? How about a small group? I actually get tense in large crowds. Don't feel ashamed of calling out for support from a friend that's what we are here for. Was the pub fairly empty? or crowded? I am going to imagine that there was only a few people at the pub with you. While you were feeling anxious you were still cognizant and you knew you had to get some comfort and you managed get to a phone and remember a number to call. Those are good signs that you can get these feelings under control. You can use techniques like imaging, In a safe environment where you can close your eyes. Imagine your self into the scary scenario and keep describing all the feelings your having and replicate mentally. When the mental image gets out of control just open your eyes and touch something and send the image out of you mind. Then start over again and do this three or more times. Then you will be able to go anywhere and just touch something to transfer the bad feelings into an object. Practice it regularly and after a while you be more confident and be able to go where you want with out it becoming an issue. Me I enjoy being alone I used to rent a 22 Ft sailboat for a Saturday and just spend the day alone navigating the coast

MSM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritorious_Service_Medal_(United_States)

Fair winds and following seas
    Evgeny

Steve65 likes this.
  3. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Evgeny,
    Yes, that's definitely a self image that you need to shred. I mean, you've already proven yourself; give yourself a break! No need to please anyone but yourself from now on.

Just curious, do you still live in Illinois? I'm in Champaign. And I'm assuming that you're younger than me. Are you of Russian descent? I ask just because of your username.

Being in groups, large or small, really doesn't bother me. With one exception...I was at Madame Tussaud's in London, by myself, and the line had backed up and there were hundreds of us crowded into one room. I thought, this can't be safe, what if there's a fire?! I went into full panic mode. In situations like this, I do get anxious. And I've learned that when I'm away from home and need to be grounded and think rationally again, I have to talk to one of my close friends. It's almost like they know me better than I know myself. Or that I trust their judgement...I always, always doubt my judgement because of bad decisions in the past.

Boy, I wish I had a sailboat to retreat to! How nice! If I feel the need to get away, I go for a drive among the cornfields in the countryside. Always does me some good.

Looking forward to hearing from you again,
    Steve

Evgeny likes this.
  4. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Steve
    I used to live deep in corn country 100 miles South West of Chicago. I left the corn fields behind in 1984. Then I only visited there once a year during Christmas until 1989. The family re-grouped in central Florida from 1990 on. One of my siblings is in the Windy city and another lives near Des Moines they join us for holidays it always a good time. I haven't been in Illinois for 6 or more years now. I saw your profile's location right from the start and said "cool, a fellow midwesterner" No I'm not Russian at all but yes the name is. It's a screen name and I chose it instead of being James24862439107 that's all. The commonality of names on the internet is sometimes exasperating.

I'm going to agree with your reaction to your perilous foray at Madame Tussaud's that is completely unsafe and irresponsible that they processed you through like that. I would have probably talked you out of going in if I were there. This situation you were in is a valid concern. I think you may have a subconscious that is identifying risks and sending the flee signal before fight signal gets a chance to chime in. It is a good thing to have it just might need some training is all. Have you ever done any OODA loop exercises that apply to your situations? The OODA loop theory is practiced by military, police, firefighters and first responders world wide. They use it to prevent bad decisions. My loop is extremely "Cooperized" as we say; but it is rapid and sound; a product of many of Jeff Cooper's former students and staff. Security, and safety are always on my mind when ever I am out at a venue or activity the family says I over think things but they are always glad they have me along.

I would like to have my own boat as well. I have an affinity for the sea, once while at sea between Hawaii and Japan our ship was in dire need of some husbandry and I was of the few qualified to do it so I went over the side on scuba and tether to aid in the repair. While in position under the ship holding the broken piece in place I stared into the beautiful blue abyss, thought she called my name, thought good thing I'm on tether.

I think I'm older I was 13 in 77

"if you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck"
    Jeff Cooper

Steve65 likes this.
  5. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,
    Thank you for the OODA loop theory info, it's really interesting. You're right, my instinct is almost immediately to flee a stressful situation. I've always kind of been like that. It's sometimes difficult to think rationally. I'm ALWAYS thinking the worse case scenario, because I seem to have the worst luck.

So you're familiar with the fields of corn! I like it here. Since I've moved do many things have changed for the better. I'm learning to appreciate the little things in life. I've really gotten back to practicing violin regularly and have returned to my former teacher. I'm rediscovering music. Things are getting better. But I won't feel like I'm past all of the hurdles until July 1st, 2020, when I'm officially retired. Money won't be such an issue.

Can you tell me more about what you struggle with? Do you suffer from anxiety and/or depression?
    Steve

Evgeny likes this.
  6. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Steve,
    Your welcome, fast to flee is a good thing, coupled with a speedy, well trained OODA loop you'll quickly react to bad situations with the right choice.
    Yes, I'm familiar with corn, I de-rouged, de-tasseled, bean walked, and bucked bales every summer from age 13 to 18.

Wow! you play the violin, I'm a fan already. I have a deep appreciation for all music. The classics are my fall back. When I can't figure out how I feel. I put them on. Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, Jazz is a next favorite be it contemporary Like Jon Luc Ponty or straight up Miles Davis, or Coltrane or Smooth Jazz David Sanborn or Sadao Watanabee, My ITunes folder contains 87GBytes of music. I recently found Spotify and enjoying pop music from France, Finland, Russia, Korea, and Norway to name a few in fact the lead singer from the Russian Rock alternative band Nervy (Нервы) is where Evgeny comes from. Speaking of Violins have you ever listen to an artist called Alexander Rybak - European Heaven (Russian version)he's on google music I like it in Russian vice English sounds better
    Александр Рыбак - Небеса Европы (Русская версия)

I have combat PTSD I don't share it outside the VA SG

Music keeps me going? Tell me about your taste in music?
    When It comes to music I commonly suffer from what Robin Packalen calls
    luupilla mun korvissa (On a loop in my ears)

Music is the best healer I know; your in the best of care
    James

Steve65 likes this.
  7. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't heard of these artists thank you for introducing me to them

8. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Steve,
    You're welcome, Sorry about the music rant; I know not everybody shares my exuberance for music and or my multifaceted tastes.
    I'm glad that you are re-kindling your studies with the violin. I hope music for you is the healer that it is for me.

I don't mean to be rude about my PTSD but it is centered on the carnage of war. I don't want to put anybody through what I have been through.

A wonderful thing about good music is; you can feel the emotion in it regardless of the language it's in

James

Steve65 likes this.
  9. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with you, music can be therapeutic to me most of the time. Especially classical, and also blue grass (Alison Krauss).

What's this mention of PTSD? Were you in the service?

10. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Steve,
    Yes, I slipped in between the music rant in small print
    and yes

Steve65 likes this.
  11. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I'm sorry. If you ever feel comfortable describing what happened, I'd be interested. But I'm sure that's something you don't want to relive.

Evgeny likes this.
  12. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Steve,
    Thanks, If I ever get through it......I really appreciate your offer, I do....I lost my faith and I lost my humanity there....I can't ask anybody but the trained and fellow damned to follow me into that darkness.

Steve65 likes this.
  13. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry

14. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got up the courage last night. I told my mom I was Gay. She said," I thought so, you're still my son." We talked more and she said, "there is still time for you to be happy, be who you are." Today is GAY 1! I've taken my first step out of the closet. I still have the siblings to go but I am told that my sisters have suspected it for a while now.

I added Alison Krauss to a playlist of mine on google music.
    I was touched by her cover of amazing grace

in exchange I introduce
    Andreas Vollenweider: The Woman and the Stone

#54 Evgeny, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Steve65 likes this.
  15. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't have anything to apologize for no offense has been made. Thank you for offering to be there for me

16. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    James, this is huge! I'm so glad to hear that you're beginning the process of telling people close to you who you really are! She sounds like a wonderful mother...were you nervous? How do you feel about it now?

There's no rush to tell everyone...when the time is right, you'll know. Good for you!

I'm glad you like Alison Krauss...and I'll definitely check out The woman and the Stone

Evgeny likes this.
  17. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Steve,
    Beyond nervous would a better description; Yes, she is wonderful, soon as I told her and paused to continue she interjected I thought so and your still my son; with that she put me at ease. She even told me that it probably came from her side of the family because she had an Aunt that was Lesbian and two Gay cousins. (that's the first time that has ever been said) She even gave me her blessing to go out and look for a boyfriend. She also explained to me how she could tell. I poured her a glass of wine and one for myself and we laughed a little and I poured out my heart and what I wanted. When I was done she commented, called me hopeless romantic and said, "you got some time left, go and find what want."

How do I feel; Wow! like Gene Kelly singing in the rain.

It was your candor that enabled me; Thank you

Sincerely
    James

Steve65 and johndeere3020 like this.
  18. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    James,
    This such a huge deal and I'm so happy that you're happy! It kind of lifts a burden of sorts, doesn't it?

At this point of my life I honestly don't care who knows and who doesn't. I'm too old to be bothered by the uninformed opinions of others and need to get busy figuring out what and how I'm going to spend the next 20 years without people judging me. I'm so glad you've come this far!

Steve

Evgeny likes this.
  19. Evgeny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Steve,
    Thanks, I am going to adopt your ethos;
    and put it mine. This is how I want to move forward as well.
    So do you have a bucket/triumph list for the next 20 years?

Steve65 likes this.
  20. Steve65

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you, James! Very happy for you!

All I really want to do for the next 20 years is do nothing but the things that make me happy. Foster cats/kittens, enjoy nature (even if it's just my backyard), and TRAVEL. Take things easy. See the country and the world, but at a slower pace. I've learned as I get older that goals don't have to be so urgent.

What about you, James?