1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do I only like men when I’m depressed?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Leah061, May 31, 2019.

1. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m not sure why this is, but I have noticed a pattern in my feelings for women and men. For the last year and a half I’ve gone back and forth between wondering if I’m a lesbian or bisexual and it’s driven me crazy. Sometimes I think I could be bi because I remember how I felt with the boys I liked growing up, and even though it wasn’t thrilling with them, I can’t help but wonder if I could tap into those feelings for men a little more and discover that I am attracted to them after all.

What I noticed is that I only have these confusing possible feelings for men when I’m depressed out of my mind or feeling particularly sad and alone. When I feel good about myself and good about being attracted to women, my intrusive thoughts regarding men have decreased significantly. I don’t care about them and I feel like I can move forward in my attraction to women. It’s only when I’m in a bad place mentally that I start to obsess over whether or not I like men too. I don’t know what this means or what I do with this!

Etereo, androgynousdog and Nightlight like this.
  2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you are depressed and have this attraction to men do you act on it?

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe when you are in a bad mood, you overthink everything. I always question too much and worry excessively when in worse mood. And in good mood I'm chill and spontaneous and not worried about what will happen next, I feel like things are going to turn out well, have a positive outlook. Negative mood make you look through a negative lens.

Etereo, Drizzle and Nightlight like this.
  4. sjax0628

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have noticed something similar with myself; when I am depressed, I start to question and doubt whether I’m really gay or not, which in turn depresses me more. Whenever I come out of the depression funk, the doubt and questioning disappear.

#4 sjax0628, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Etereo likes this.
  5. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could it be a self-punishment/homophobia thing? Could it be you mind telling you that’s what you *should* want?

lunarwitch, Kelseyk92 and Etereo like this.
  6. canadawet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I relate to this a lot. I've realized that when I get depressed, I feel like I could be with a man because I feel a lot more resigned to the negative things in my life, and like I don't care what happens to me. Basically, I feel less resistance toward my comphet and internalized homophobia that tell me I should be with a man even though it isn't what's best for me. Depression, in general, can just make you seek out things that can hurt you, so if you're not attracted to men outside of intrusive thoughts and depression, I'd say it's definitely not "real" attraction.

Etereo likes this.
  7. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, but I also haven't had a lot of opportunities to do that. Sometimes I wonder if I would, if I got the chance to flirt with a guy, but it's all hypothetical so far.

8. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, it's definitely the overthinking that drives all of this for me, and it seems to be worse only when I'm upset or depressed... I guess I just don't know how to deal with this or make it stop.

9. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Omg that's exactly how I feel! But sometimes I can't tell what comes first; am I depressed because I'm afraid I might not be a lesbian, or do I think I might not be a lesbian because I'm depressed?

10. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely think it could be that. Sometimes it really feels that way. Sometimes it's really hard for me to seriously consider the fact that I might actually be bi because I've internalized the notion that bi people can just "choose" "straight" relationships, and then it makes me feel like the way I feel about women is just unnecessary and indulgent, even though I've grown to love the part of me that loves women. I feel protective of it in a way, and when I think I might, even hypothetically like men, that feels so delegitimizing to the progress I've made in accepting myself as someone who loves women, because it reminds me that I *should* want to be with a man, and that I could try harder to make it work with a man.

Etereo and Nightlight like this.
  11. sjax0628

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually started to accept and love myself so much more when I realized I was gay. So whenever that doubt creeps up, it inevitably leads to depression. Because I do not want to go back to the old me. But whether doubt or depression comes first, I have no idea.

Etereo, ReadyFreddy and Leah061 like this.
  12. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the same way! I mean I know that internalized homophobia and comp het can really make it difficult to understand what attraction is supposed to feel like, but sometimes it feels like calling it comp het is just a way to convince myself I'm not attracted to men when I actually could be. I definitely struggle with internalized homophobia, but it seems that I'm also dealing with internalized biphobia too...

Etereo, canadawet and Nightlight like this.
  13. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just wanted to say this is exactly what I'm going through as well. Because of this near constant confusion, I wish I was born completly asexual.

#13 Nightlight, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Leah061 likes this.
  14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There really isn't a way to stop it apart from getting out of the bad mood. :/

15. canadawet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    God, I feel this. I'm almost always confused about what I am when I think too hard about it, because I'm always feeling like I may have found reasons to doubt myself whether I identify as lesbian or bi. Part of me wants to try and give up on trying to define what I want altogether, but that doesn't get rid of the desire to understand. It's exhausting to always feel like you're deceiving yourself! I do hope you have some help for your depression because it seems like the more we deal with our mental health, the more the dust of other problems clears.

Etereo and Leah061 like this.
  16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How long do these spells usually last? Is there anything that seems to help when you are in them?

17. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean, honestly my depression is always out of control when I'm PMSing, so I can at least keep track of it during the month lol. When I get really frustrated by the confusion, all I can do is just try to ignore it because it is too much to deal with, and I am so worn out from worrying about this. I'm just tired at this point. I would have thought by now I'd have some more clarity in my identity.

18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the confusion is mainly when you are depressed perhaps it isn't true confusion of sexuality perhaps it is just the way you mind is working with the depression. When you are feeling good do you still have any confusion or not?

19. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess even on my best days, I'm still never 100% sure that I don't like men. It's just that when I'm feeling down I feel like I have to test myself constantly to see if I could be attracted to men. I know that for me, I can't rule out liking men all together, and every time I remember that, I feel even more upset.

sjax0628 likes this.
  20. androgynousdog

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    tbh my therapist told me smth rly important tht i hope helps here. how you feel when youre happy and confident in yourself--thats the best compass towards who you are.

gayfish96, Leah061 and sjax0628 like this.