1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do I only like men when I’m depressed?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Leah061, May 31, 2019.

1. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you think that makes you more upset?

2. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because I think I still have it in my mind that if I'm able to happily be with a man, I should prioritize those feelings over my feelings for women. It makes me feel like I don't get to like women if I can genuinely like men, like it's just self indulgent and unnecessarily making my life difficult. It makes acknowledging my attraction to women seem like a choice. Honestly, I'm also a little afraid of ending up with a man and seeing this part of my life as my "lesbian phase". The thought of that makes me feel so embarrassed. The possibility that I could be attracted to men too makes it so much harder to understand and appreciate what I feel for women. That's why I get upset when I realize that I can't completely rule out attraction for men, even though, like I said, on my good days I feel so good about being a lesbian.

androgynousdog likes this.
  3. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why not focus on what you're sure of?

You've said in other posts that if someone is wondering if they're truly gay/bi at all, then it means they're not straight because straight people don't go through those feelings. (Maybe this is not your exact words but this is how I remember)

Since it's hard to ditch that straight label in a heteronormative world, Imo you have come a long way by identifying as lesbian. I am struggling with my bi identity too, wondering if any of my attractions were misinterpreted as love. It's very awkward because I'm having this doubt for both genders

I think one would be happier by focusing on a individual that you like, rather than the gender. You sound like you're much willing to submit and fit in with the society, rather than actually liking men. Being concerned about having straight attraction, rather than liking an actual man himself tells me that.

#23 Nightlight, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    androgynousdog and Leah061 like this.
  4. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many straight women feel like they would be disappointed if they weren’t a lesbian? It seems like it might be like all the YouTube videos describing signs you might be a lesbian that start with “if you are looking up YouTube videos and quizzes entitled ‘am I a lesbian’ you’re probably a lesbian because straight women don’t do that.” Not sure if that’s true because what do I know? But they frequently seem to say it.

#24 Unsure77, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    sjax0628, gravechild and Leah061 like this.
  5. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I'm definitely not straight, and I doubt that I'm straight way less than I used to. So I know that much, now I just doubt that I'm a lesbian, and not bi. I definitely feel like I could try harder to fit in with society, as you pointed out, so I don't find myself focusing on a specific individual man, which I know is a classic symptom of heteronormativity. But sometimes I do try to test my attractions to a specific man, and I still just can't say for sure that I wouldn't want to be with him in a real life situation.

6. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I'm definitely into girls, and I totally agree that if I keep asking myself if I'm a lesbian, I'm not a heterosexual person. I guess my main source of confusion now is how I feel about men. I'm realizing more and more how deeply set my internalized homophobia is, because at every opportunity I try to find a way out of being a lesbian, and sometimes it seems like I might be able to be happy with a man.

androgynousdog likes this.
  7. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is the fact that the idea of liking men makes you sad possibly a sign, though?

8. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think what makes me sad is that there seems to be this gray area in my orientation where I might actually like men, and could be considered bisexual, and that makes me feel held back. Like I said, it makes me feel like it doesn't matter if I like women, because I have a way out of being a gay woman. But then again, I struggle to think of a specific man who I'd go out of my way to pursue. It just feels like this cloud that's constantly hanging over my shoulder.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you continually checking your attraction to men is your brain trying to hang on to what it deems a 'normal' or 'easy' life. On the surface of it if you could fall in love with a guy it would be more straight forward but only if that's actually what your heart desires and I fear it isn't. Being with a guy and then realising it's a girl you want is anything but easy or straight forward.
    Maybe you need to just go with what you know, I often as difficult as it is, the less you think about these things the clearer they become.

10. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, the “are you a lesbian?” YouTube videos described that as a classic lesbian thing to do. Convincing yourself “I can’t possibly be a lesbian because I think Brad Pitt is attractive. In theory. From afar.” And then if Brad ever were to actually show up in your real, actual life you’d quickly lose interest.

Essentially what they said a lot of women do is convince themselves they have crushes on men who are unattainable or who are purely theoretical, if faced with having to actually go out with them, would lose interest. It’s done as a way to make themselves feel normal.

Again, I’m not remotely an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.

#30 Unsure77, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  11. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would definitely peruse the later in life boards some before you force yourself into relationship with a man without having explored feelings with women. That sounds like not a good time to do once you have a husband and children. Even if you’re bi or pan, looking at those boards, it would be better if you went into a mixed gender relationship with your partner knowing that so you don’t have this difficult reveal later. I say this with all of the wisdom of someone who hasn’t dated yet. But there seems to be a lot of angst and anguish on that forum over that topic. It seems like, if you can help it, the less indulgent thing IS to explore both so your partners can know what a long term relationship with you really means.

If nothing else, if might be worth striking up a conversation with one of the bi people on that forum and see what they think now that they’ve lived it.

12. Kelseyk92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's what I was thinking

13. gayfish96

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too! I'm a gay guy, but I get curious for women when I feel like I won't ever be able to find love.

When I think about women, I can't get any romantic thoughts, but I can enjoy sexual fantasies. I sometimes wonder if maybe I could learn to love a woman, so I might be able to find love easier. Maybe if I experimented with a woman, I'd develop more endearing feelings, and I'd be able to live a hetero life.

But then, I see a guy who is beautiful and tugs at my heart strings. No girl has made me feel like that. In this moment, I see clearly the difference between my feelings for women and my feelings for men. My feelings for men are all about passion: holding his hand, seeing the twinkle in his eyes, walking with him, listening to him, hugging him, kissing him. These feelings are so effortless and automatic. With women, I can't even develop an admiration for her face; I can't love her the way she needs to be; all I can do is sex.

It's probably normal to think about the opposite sex when we're down. We all want to fit in. We don't want the extra difficulties of being a part of a small minority population.

Leah061 and Nightlight like this.