1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update, leaving the family home...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by whattodo1, Apr 7, 2019.

1. whattodo1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I haven't checked in with EC for a while, but coming back with an update and would welcome any advice/thoughts. I came out as bi to my wife last fall. We've talked a lot about what that means for us and over the last few months have concluded that we can probably not go on living the life we once thought we'd have. As much as we love each other and enjoy being with each other, she feels she is not and never will be capable of allowing me to have gay experiences while still staying married and under the same roof.

I had never had an experience with men until very recently (thus coming out as bi, not gay). My wife and I came to an agreement about how I could explore my sexuality while still living together. I could go out with guys, to gay bars or on actual dates, as long as clothes stayed on, in order to allow me to figure out if I needed to take it further (which would involve me moving out). I was willing to wait a few more months to start that but the uncertainty was killing her and she said if I knew I would need that at some point (I did), that I should just do it now. So I've done that, had a few dates, and have realized very clearly that my natural and stronger attraction is toward men, and that I am more gay than bi. With help from a couples therapist, we've agreed that I will move out of our home which I'll be doing May 2 (lease signed, rent/security paid).

Though I'm excited about the ability to explore my feelings further, I can't help but worry that I'm making a mistake. We have a great life together, two kids, and enjoy traveling as a couple and as a family. But emotionally and sexually I have never felt fulfilled in my marriage and don't feel I could be with her, or with any woman for that matter. I'm hoping to find a path that will work for both of us. I need to find what makes me feel fulfilled and she deserves the same for herself. No matter what we will always be good friends and will be parents together for our two kids.

I'd welcome any comments, especially from those who've been on similar paths. Like I said, I'm excited, but at the same time struggling and maybe looking for a little validation...

Thanks for listening.

SevnButton, FooFight54 and Dionysios like this.
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any time we make large life changes, particularly one as drastic as this, for which there's really no going back, it's normal and natural to worry about leaving the security of the known and to walk into the unknown. And at the same time, I think that were you to stay in the existing relationship, it would not be healthy for either you or your wife.

So the fear is completely natural... you don't and can't know exactly what lies beyond, and you're giving up the (imperfect) security you currently have. That said, you were able to make that decision, and it seems clear that what you are describing is, indeed, pretty authentic feelings for men over women. So it sounds like the right decision, even though it is wrought with fear. I think as you move into it more, it will become less fearful.

Inlife88 likes this.
  3. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @whattodo1 -
    Yes, that is a big step, and I'm sure you've thought it through carefully. Still, there's doubt and the lure of the comfort of the known.

My path is different from yours in that I fully intend to stay with my wife, but I want to tell about my experience from a few weeks ago. I was falling back into old habits: not connecting with folks here on Empty Closets, not talking with my wife about my sexuality, just basically climbing back into a hole. One morning my wife said that I seemed distant and removed, and she thought I was depressed. She was right. And I realized it was because I was losing my courage and willingness to keep moving forward.

I suspect that even though you may have moments when you're sure you're making the biggest mistake of your life, you *have to* keep moving forward. Going backward, back into a hole is an option, but not a very good one.

Hugs love and light,
    =Sevn

4. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello
    We may have spoken before.

You have to follow your heart. It's a big step moving out and living alone. But by what you have said, you seem to be on the right path.

I've been there
    Came out bisexual Feb 2018
    Moved out Nov 2018
    It's been 5 months now and I've never been this happy in my 43 years on this Earth. I'm even about to co run a LGBT group! Organising meet ups! Meals, cinema etc.

I did struggle at first and only slept 3 or 4 hrs a night but I'm doing better now, even have a personal trainer, bought new clothes, grew a beard, joined a choir, apparently I can sing!!

Met a couple guys and realized I'm not bisexual I'm gay and proud!

Please follow your dream. You can still do family stuff and be there for your kids. I have three and see them regularly. I'm now out to two of them!

Jon

Yossarian, brainwashed and Dionysios like this.
  5. whattodo1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks all for the posts and encouraging words.

@SevnButton, if I may ask have you had experiences with men before? I feel like I could at least consider moving forward in life in my marriage if I knew better what I was giving up to do so.

@Rade, yes I do remember you. When we first wrote you were just coming to terms with things. And when we last wrote you did not have a photo on your profile (a bold step to do so). You have come a long way, as I know there were some pretty difficult times for you. I am happy to hear things are well for you.

6. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello!

My friend, you and I are in the same boat. I came out to my wife in December after three decades of marriage. We rarely fought and had many good times together. Yet I never felt sexually fulfilled either. My wife and I didn't see how I could live as a gay man and be married to her, so we decided on separation and divorce. We just sold our house. Next Monday I take possession of my little house and soon will be moved out to my own place.

I have to admit that I sometimes wondered if I was crazy to have thrown my comfortable life aside to embark on a completely new and unknown future. I also feared I might have made a mistake in coming out so late in life. Financially I am taking a major hit. Emotionally this has been a topsy turvy experience. Yet this is the chance I've longed for all my life - to finally live my life as an openly gay man. While I don't know what the future will be, there is no turning back. The die is cast! Now I am determined to make a new life for myself, even though I have no idea what it will be. I am truly excited at the list of firsts for me - first gay socials, then making some face-to face gay friends and hopefully dating, sex and a long term relationship. But even if I end my days living alone in a shack, at least I will not have to pretend anymore to my friends, family or myself. That by itself is liberating.

You can do it! The time you yearned for is near at hand. Take advantage of it and begin your new life with optimism and pride. Make this new chapter of your life wonderful and fulfilling. You deserve happiness! *smile*

7. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @whattodo1 -
    Yes. I slept with a guy when I was in my 20's, well before I got married. I spent the night with him, then went to a vineyard harvest festival the next day with a group of his friends. I didn't feel like I connected with the guy other than sexually (e.g., emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, ... ) but I remember being really comfortable hanging out with this group of gay guys.

Do I understand correctly that you have not had experiences with men? That is, you feel the pull, but haven't acted on it? If that's correct, yeah, you're letting go of your marriage for an unknown, and I hope you'll do some serious introspection and hopefully some counseling first. Has your marriage been OK, other than feeling the gay attractions?

8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey
    I identify as bisexual. So, it's a bit different for me. But, I'm not sure that the same sex desires are any less. I wrestled with the question of needing to leave my marriage in order to experience intimacy with a man...which I had never done.

I came to the brink of leaving my marriage. But, I finally came out and my wife and I decided to somehow integrate my sexuality into my marriage.

Being gay, I don't think our solution would work for you. Especially if what you really desire is to have a life with a man. This would eat at you forever. Sometimes it is best to take the leap and begin a life that is really yours.

I do know a number of gay men who used to be married to a woman...including my brother. Without exception they are all happier now than they were before divorcing. There is a broad variety of ways that they continue to be a part of their previous families. The kids seem to, actually, thrive on this.

One of the things we have to leave behind is this sense of what a life should be and how relationships and sexuality are a part of it. It's really your story. You may feel you are losing something. But, consider that you are losing something that may be more of a social construct than what is really your life to live.

9. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip’s comments as usual are right on the mark. A huge change such as coming out as gay is both scary and exciting all at the same time.
    Like you for a short period I said I was bisexual but in time I knew that there was no disguising that I really was gay nor was there any going back. I had by this time lost all interest in women. Rather than be a negative the no going back aspected helped me come to terms with being gay much quicker.
    Finally saying once and for all I was gay was a watershed moment of fear, freedom, release, liberation, and concern for the future. All I can tell you it was all worth it. I am an extremely happy, extremely gay man in the best relationship of my life and proud of it. I wish the same for you and anyone struggling to find their authentic self, whatever it happens to be.

10. whattodo1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My experience with men has been only as I described in my original post - so a few dates. During those there was some physical stuff, which I really liked, but I’ve lived up to the deal I made with my wife which is that while I’m living at our home, clothes stay on during these dates.

For me the feeling I get is more the emotional pull. It’s like I get this clear sense that I could love another person who’s not blood-related in a way I never have before. You ask if my marriage is ok. Yes it’s ok, but for years we’ve been really good friends with occasional benefits. The passion is not and has not been there, but I feel a draw to find that.

I’m a man of my word so I won’t violate the deal with my wife, so to go further than I’ve gone means I must move out first. I’m confident that my wife and I will remain in each other’s lives in some way, but this is a leap I think I need to take if I am to live life without regrets.

11. whattodo1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes definitely this. It has been this thinking that has propelled me. And also feeling that what I stand to gain is a life with authenticity.
    By the way, my wife is adamant that she is not and never could be ok with an arrangement like yours. I know people can and do change, but I think a woman needs a certain kind of self-image and self-confidence to handle something like that. And that is an area where she struggles. So I suppose it’s still possible she evolves more but I don’t see it as very likely. I’m happy for you that you’ve been able to make it work. I remember you saying you had a lot of patience waiting for that time to come.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kids thrive in a positive enviroment. An environment with little to no trauma.

#12 brainwashed, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Rade likes this.
  13. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Having only "occasional" benefits is a big flag toward some that needs attention, unless your both totally OK with it, and it seems clear you're not.

I think there's a huge bias in our culture toward newness and excitement. I can't think of any popular movies or shows that celebrate a couple engaging in decades-long passion.

If I may ask, for the sake of discussion, is there a possibility that you're on an ongoing pursuit of newness?

Full disclosure: my wife and I count 'benefits' in terms of how many times in a year, and we count on one hand.

14. whattodo1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Possibility? Yes that's absolutely a possibility. But I guess what keeps me heading in this direction is that the actions are new but the feelings are not. My physical attractions have always leaned toward guys, from puberty. And now that I'm dipping my feet in the water I'm feeling the emotional side too.

You say only a few times a year. If I may turn a question back to you - are you satisfied with that, and do you think your wife is too? My wife gives me the sense that she needs more than that.

SevnButton likes this.
  15. regkmc

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interestingly, I think I could have sex with my wife every week....and still, now that I realize the same sex attraction, it doesn’t seem....enough?

Now she actually doesn’t have the same drive, and that is something that keeps me from moving forward.....I wait around for when she feels into me, it’s good, and then...nothing. And I think of guys while I fantasize now instead of the women I used to.

SevnButton likes this.
  16. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me as I started to acknowledge my same sex attraction I was still with my then GF. The few times we had sexual relations after my first experience with another man sex was ok but I felt nothing. Shortly after that I lost all interest in her or any women for that matter. My sexual and emotional evolution to men made intimacy with her impossible and frankly I didn’t miss it at all. I now have most robust sex life of my entire life with my BF and can’t imagine ever going back to those almost “mechanical”days.

SevnButton likes this.
  17. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @whattodo1

I went back a re-read your original post in this thread. It seems like your family is a big part of your identity. I suppose it is for all us....goes without saying maybe. You mentioned you are concerned about losing this life. We've already discussed how you need to live your authentic life as a gay man but fear the loss of this.

I wanted to ask about the practical side of how you have both your gay life and your family life. Is your wife open to some sort of a "blended" arrangement? By this, I mean where you and she each have your own lives outside of the central family core? When I came out to my wife she asked if I was gay. She was OK with this as long as we could still have our lives together. Our retirement travel plans, our skiing and biking and maintain our homes and lifestyle. Sort of like roommates. This was a moot point for us. Except, as it turns out we have ended up with an arrangement I never imagined as a possibility.

I think there are lots of ways to do this. If your wife needs a clean break then it might not be a possibility. But, if she can be creative too, then maybe there is a way for you both to move forward? Just tossing this out there.

18. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @whattodo1 -

That's brilliant, and I need to remember it. The continuity of thoughts and feelings is really important. This is NOT just waking up one day and thinking, "Gee I need some excitement in my life -- I think I'll decide to be gay". No! it's not that at all; this is a long-running thing.

My first thoughts to your question were, no I'm not satisfied. And I'm certain my wife is not satisfied. Deeper truth is that my wife always wanted sexual relations more than I did. Early in our marriage it was sort of a relief when I could get away with only one time a week. It was a relief during pregnancies to not have that obligation. I just explained that to myself as I'm just not a strongly sexual person and it's just not that important to me. Also my wife has put on a LOT of weight and I do not find her physically attractive. For the last 15 years my wife has been complaining of feeling neglected and rejected. Now it's making a lot of sense.

Here's the part that kind of freaks me out. Since last summer when I came out to my wife, we have been trying to re-establish our sex life. But I had been consistently unable to achieve satisfaction. Then a couple of weeks ago while having sex, I indulged in a gay fantasy. Boom! intense and full satisfaction!

19. whattodo1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Nickw, yes we have actually talked about some creative ways to do that. She is adamant that she could not tolerate that while we are living under the same roof and doesn't think she ever could. But we have talked about us each having our separate "personal" lives dating etc but continuing to have our great friendship and cohesive family unit. We think that could mean that even though we live apart we might still have vacations together with the kids, maybe even including our respective partners at some far-off point in the future. Maybe even still have some of the retirement trips we've talked about. But yes, if this separation does end up being more permanent I do think there are alternatives that work.

20. whattodo1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, to be honest, I think my wife and I are in a very similar place as the two of you. I guess I'm making this choice and taking this risk to see if I can improve my (and her) satisfaction over the long run. If she had the choice, she'd certainly rather I not do this but she is as supportive as I could expect under the circumstances.