1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Marriage for the LGBTQ spouse

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by weary, Jan 14, 2019.

1. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have questions. My husband brought up this idea this weekend. I was shocked, but now the shock has worn off and I'm like wasn't this just what I was saying would be perfect for me a few days ago.

Those who have an open marriage for the LGBTQ spouse -
    how did it start, come to the agreement?
    Is it mostly hook-ups or actual secondary relationship?
    has it continued to work long-term?

I've already made the pro-con list in my head. As I've said so many times, I can not see myself ever with any other man but my husband. We have 14 yrs together and are each other's best friend. So now I'm debating could this work, or is it just another delay tactic on both parts.

AJ2018 and Forlong like this.
  2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To answer your questions:

My wife initiated the conversation. She suggested I do a little "light" exploration. This included having gay or bi friends for "boy play" only. I was not to have intercourse. So, we set up rules.

A bit later (six months) she found a receipt for condoms in my car and asked if I was having an affair. I was only using them for oral sex. I told her I wanted to have an "affair" and she agreed but only under circumstances that she could evaluate at the time...ie she needed to approve the guy. I confided sometime later that I don't like casual hookups much at all

I met a guy, who was a lot younger, who was only going to be in the area for a few months and I was very drawn to him and my wife "approved" an affair. He and I remain very close but he is travelling abroad. I, recently, met another guy that I am now having an affair with that will, likely, be a long term arrangement. He is a lot younger also.

So far this has been working. But, I am very careful of the men I get close to. I pick guys that are a lot younger. Too young, really, for my wife to worry I will run off with one. I am just a very practical guy about relationships. I think another married guy like me could work, but single middle age guys I, generally, avoid. I also avoid guys that only want sex.

This latest arrangement I have agreed to a one weekend a month thing with an occasional booty call. The trade off is that I am really attentive to my wife the rest of the time. I'm pretty well off financially and only work part time. I don't know how I would have managed this dual life twenty years ago when I was juggling a lot more of the "real life" issues. There would not have been the time.

Forlong likes this.
  3. Forlong

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @weary what brought on that conversation, and do you trust him to not change his mind. I was tempted to bring this subject up with my husband recently when he ask me to if was satisfied. I told him the truth I do enjoy sex with him but not always and I liked different things( meaning women). I didn’t disclose that detail but he said he wanted to talk more on that. I feel we are opening up more to one another, if he was okay with it that be ideal.

4. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Question: In these open marriage scenarios are you still intimate with your spouse? Right now I am not interested in intimacy with my husband and an ideal open marriage would be co-parenting and being friends but no intimacy with the husband but exploring my feelings toward women.

L8bloomer likes this.
  5. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I give him credit for trying... whether this is something he can truly be ok with, is another story. You know a bit about my story... my husband “approved” of me exploring with a woman friend with whom I’d been intimate previously. Honestly for a while it was pretty great. And strangely (or not so strangely) I felt a bit more attracted to my husband. I think I was just happier with life in general and finally, finally getting to have a release for my desires. It went south with emotions - jealousy, trust, commitment stuff. My questions for you would be (assuming your husband could deal with it): 1) how would you go about seeking a woman? Many lesbians aren’t looking to hook up with a married woman. 2) do you think you could be ok with just the sexual aspect? Or do you also long to be in a committed relationship with a woman? 3) this could have the possibility of keeping you happy and therefore content to stay with your husband, or could increase your desire to leave, especially if you meet someone and really fall in love. Good luck to you because I wouldn’t be opposed to the open marriage option either, if you can get it to work, great!

6. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You wrote that quote in a different thread a couple months back.
    Has he calmed down / opened his mind... or is he setting you up?

weary likes this.
  7. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then what you describe is not a marriage but a parenting arrangement. It sure sounds as if you are totally embracing your lesbian self.
    Good for you, if your honest with your feelings and want to be with another woman then don’t pretend to be married to a man. As a lesbian nothing prevents you from coparenting with your ex. You both will he happier in the end and your children loved and nurtured by both parents just not husband and wife. Personally I think the whole idea of marriage straight, gay or otherwise is slowly becoming passé for next generations.

Landgirl, lucybee and weary like this.
  8. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It came about in general conversation. I went with him to look at some available homes and we ran across a complex for sell which lead to a discussion of us purchasing it and he could do the maintenance in his free time and I could run the day-today office/management of the property. That lead to our living arrangement being brought up again with me explaining the issue really isn't him as I do love him and will never be with another man ever again. Then he brought up him staying and working on our issues while I explored that side of me which led to more discussion.

Yes, I worry about him changing his mind and fully expect him too. Ever since I asked for the separation again in September he has been back and forth as have I really. It's not cut and dry when you've been with someone 14+ years and they are your best friend, plus our age - we are both more mature now and know how life is and can be. I think what helps is the continued discussions and my willingness to not get upset when he gets upset. I am level headed and not emotionless but keep my demeanor calm. It was very frustrating for me initially because for awhile it seemed like every half hour I was being called into the room to 'discuss' (him ranting) how horrible I was for doing this. Over the weeks and now months, it has changed so much -- for the better. I would never have thought back in October that here in January we are discussing an open marriage.

The biggest difference between us is that I come from a mindset that anything is possible given open communication and willingness; he has not been of that mindset but seems to slowly becoming adjusted to it. I think he finally accepts that my sexuality issue has nothing to do with my love for him or lack thereof. It is something I own and is me; the two can be separate whereas before no matter what I said he felt if he had been a better husband this wouldn't be happening.

I see light at the end of a very long tunnel whichever way it goes. I have plans this coming weekend to attend a lesbian/bisexual meetup event. That will be the test of how well he is adjusting. He knows about it and says he has no issues with me going. Fingers crossed.

L8bloomer likes this.
  9. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Everyone responded at once....

@Nickw Thank you for your input. I was hoping you would respond. You are the only one I can remember right off having said you were able to make this scenario work. I can't see myself doing flings. Long-term fwb maybe... It helps to know how you've handled it all and the stages your wife went through.

@Elle993 I don't know. Right now there has been no sexual intimacy for awhile, but I know we all have our own definitions of time so a few weeks. For me there are a few different types of attraction that lead to sexual expression. I am emotionally attached to my husband which when things between us are going great leads to an intimacy attraction which for me leads to sexual expression. I know it's hard to understand because it is hard to understand and I live it. You can have sex with someone without feeling connected to them - the carnal lust. You can also have sex with someone on an intimate level as an expression of love without being sexually satisfied - bonding. The latter is how sex is with my husband.

@L8bloomer Yes, I do remember your story now. Wouldn't it be wonderful if an open arrangement worked. I think of the 60-70's when they had swinger parties, and married couples would pair off and stay monogamous between them.
    1)No idea on the meeting part just because I already have that issue. Although I have seen several poly women in similar situations on the apps.
    2)again No Idea..I'm in unexpected territory here. I know one-night stands are not my thing anymore, to afraid of things to be caught. It would need to be a committed relationship with a woman. He would want no participation, nor would I want him to, so it wouldn't be a threesome. It would be a completely separate relationship parallel to the current. Honestly in my head I don't see why a three part relationship would not work long-term in the same household even. I had my 1st husband's ex-wife live with us in that marriage for over a year so she could reconnect with her children, and we made that work. Communication and willingness is key to everything.
    3) Yes, it could go either way.

@DecentOne I honestly think he was in a bad place trying to come with terms with everything and it was a gut spurt not truth. People usually deal with things either with outbursts or silence - the fight or flight. My husband goes through both phases. He will have his outbursts and then become silent while contemplating everything, and then come back to discuss. I do not believe he would use any of that against me now or that he is setting me up. But I am not stupid either and because I know he did say that at that time, I have already made preparations to handle that if it ever came up.

@Contented I agree about the marriage becoming phased out, at least marriage as we knew it. This could be just a step into great co-parenting and I am fine with that. I see this as an unexpected opportunity that has come up that could also be great if handled correctly.

10. Forlong

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @weary I understand the years together, I’m glad he opening up more and trying to understand your sexuality. It sounds like you and your husband have come a long way and still a long way to go. I agree communication would have helped but everyone has to process and accept things at their own pace. Probably wouldn’t hurt like @Nickw said to have some rules and arrangements if you plan on staying together. I’m working on that with my husband as well, I feel like we haven’t talked really talked in so long. Things have changed a lot since we’ve been talking with him not smothering me 24/7/365. Hoping the best for you, you deserve happiness :slight_smile:.

weary likes this.
  11. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks everyone. Most know from my other post that I hit a low point on Christmas Day at my parents which was the intimacy I discussed above. For those that don't know my history it may seem that I have continued a relationship with my husband throughout. I have not. I feel I am at another turning point here and I need to think about it and determine if it is something 1) I want and 2)if I could do. There's been a lot of relevant points made here, all of which are good for me to remember and contemplate before moving forward.

Forlong likes this.
  12. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your husband is your lover, not your bestfriend. You don't have sex with your best friend.

#12 Lgbtqpride, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  13. merry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i highly recommend reading the book More Than Two. it is great for any and all types of relationships, monogamous, poly, open.. it has even had me reevaluate my place in friendships and my expectations with family etc. it is well written and full of great advice. personally, the audio version on audible is my favorite.

AJ2018 and smurf like this.
  14. smurf

Open marriages can work, but it takes sooo much work from both people to be able to get to a place where you know what you want/need and you can calmly communicate that to your partner.

From what I have read, it seems like you guys are still dealing with your coming out. I would be hesitant to open a relationship while you are all going through so much internally. It really does sound that you are both trying to come up with way where you don't have to leave each other, but it sounds like he wants that more than you.

If I were you, I would focus on being out as a lesbian first before deciding on whether to open up your marriage. Go to the meet up, get friends who are lgbt, hang out with them alone and with your husband. See if he can handle that part of it all, because one thing you cannot do is make this a secret arrangement from everyone. Secrets make a fantastic place for shame to grow and destroy a relationship.

When you feel your husband gets to a place where he is comfortable in the knowledge that he is married to a gay woman, then you can start talking about what an open relationship would look like for you all.

I don't think you guys trying to make it work is the craziest of things. I hope that if me and my husband ever decide to part ways that I can be part of his life in some way for the rest of times. Nothing sounds sadder than partying ways completely. If you both can make it work then I say go for it. If at the end you can't make it work then full separation is still possible.

15. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One thing that I probably should have mentioned is that open relationships might require an even stronger bond than a typical relationship to be successful. Before we opened up our relationship, I was concerned that my wife and I had drifted apart as I was coming to terms with my sexuality and what my needs are. So, I didn't come out to her and then didn't even entertain the idea of an open relationship until I felt our marriage was back on solid ground. To do this I worked very hard to be a better husband and be more affectionate, open and honest.

Above all, we agreed that our marriage was the most important thing to us and the open marriage could be closed, or put on hold, by simple request if she was uncomfortable at all.

This is an issue when I meet men. There has to be an understanding that the relationship we have is secondary to my marriage. This is not always fair. But, I liken it to platonic male friendships where there is an understanding that there will be restrictions placed on time and access. A lot of men don't like this and I completely understand.

I know this doesn't have much to do with your situation Weary. But, I know others read these posts with different relationship situations and it might be helpful for others to understand. In your case, I wonder what you really would gain by remaining married?

16. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In our situation it was both, but I do believe at least for me you can have sex with a best friend. In my experience it will either bring the friendship closer, or destroy it depending on the mindsets of the two involved.

@merry thanks, I will read that book.

Thanks @smurf that helps a lot. I'm still trying to figure things out and he knows that. It is as confusing being on his side of things as it is for me getting through the coming out and acceptance. On top of that I am dealing with family issues rn ... my father's prostate cancer has come back now in his lymph nodes.

@Nickw you and @smurf both bring a lot to the table to think about. I am still at the point of answering for myself your last question -
    Because I allowed myself to become so isolated, he (his friendship, his love- having another human contact) is what I gain by remaining married. I know not the reason to stay married. I go to dark places in my mind and with everything going on rn I envision a black hole of despair where I am in a void alone - no friends, no love, children grown and gone. Just me and the tv/computer... I was so ready to be on my own before Christmas and then just one day back around my mom and I am in the pit again.

Unfortunately I think we need to physically separate to get past all this and move forward. My husband is to damn wishy washy which came out again tonite. He doesn't want me to go this weekend to the meetup. We sat down and talked about it and it is a very sore area with him because he was working night shift with his first wife and she would go out when he was working which is how she met the man she had an affair with, got pregnant by, and then divorced him for. When I try to explain he is transferring that experience and emotion onto me, he gets upset, says he's not, it's completely different.

17. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, I sure missed a lot of discussion! So many good comments and as always, I come away with food for thought for myself too.

I can really relate to this. I am relieved to hear you say that actually. While I haven’t been intimate with my husband for a few months, I could see it happening out of pure love. There’s really no lust or longing for him. The thing I find myself questioning is, ok, we know we’re attracted to women, but how much of our lack of desire for our husbands is due to wanting to be with a woman and how much is just the fact of being together so long? No long term relationship has the sparks that were there in the beginning. I have totally straight friends who don’t desire their husbands after being together so long. Are people “supposed” to feel attracted to their spouses, even a little bit, after so many years?

dirtyshirt84, Elle993, LaneyM and 2 others like this.
  18. weary

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Great Question! I also wondered in the beginning if my attraction to women was partially due to programming from commercials, ads etc. where women were portrayed in sexually enticing poses or clothing. Then I thought about that further...there are many ads with men portrayed in the same manner, but it was always the women ads I was attracted to. Yes, they were good looking men and I can say they had physically attractive bodies for a man, but there was no lust factor.

As to your question about attraction to our spouses, I think over time yes, we get into that comfortable state whereas we no longer constantly feel instantaneous lust for them, but given the opportunity to date again or time alone, it should be there. The old adage of getting out of the rut - the attraction is still there just below the surface. I never had lust/attraction for either of my husbands though. I chose them for specific reasons both because they would be mom approved relationships, then my 1st had a ready-made family, my 2nd was trustworthy. Yes, I grew to love them over time and we have that bond that comes naturally from living with the same person over such a long period. You get to know them almost as well as you know yourself, in some areas maybe more so. For the longest time it was the definition of a mutual symbiotic relationship. However those relationships only survive as long as both parties remain in their place or participate as their designated parts require. I've changed, and continue to change. If the parts don't change together, the relationship will fail as it is no longer mutually beneficial. ...Sorry just got out of class, I'll come back tomorrow and see if this makes sense the way it does in my head.

Forlong and Drizzle like this.
  19. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most people do not have sex with their bestfriend. Friendship should be innocent.

20. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're missing the point here (and I say this only with kind intentions). This wasn't just a friend, but her husband. When you share many years with a spouse there is an intimacy and fondness that develops that is qualitatively different from a purely platonic friendship, even though it can look more like a friendship if the physical attraction fades. While I agree most people don't sleep with their friends, I think this thread demonstrates that there are many shades to relationships, and as long as there is honesty with all parties, there can be benefits to shifting traditional ideas of intimacy and who you should share it with.

On a more general note, I don't have anything personally to offer for this thread, but I'm benefiting from reading all of your perspectives.

Forlong, L8bloomer and Nickw like this.