1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you Want to Get Married?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Love4Ever, Oct 2, 2018.

?

Would you like to get Married?

1. yes

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I have considered the idea

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I would rather have a commitment ceremony/something else instead of a wedding

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. no

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I see it as, if you love someone enough, the thought of how hard breaking up is shouldn't matter because you don't want to break up with them. If I'm with someone I love, my thoughts aren't going to go to "Fuck, if we get married it's going to be a whole bunch of shit to get break up." If I love someone, it's not thought. It's do I truly want to be with them for the rest of my life? If you know, you know.

And legal benefits couldn't really feasibly be expanded to any couple, though. That could mean that I could be dating some for two weeks, die, and then they would inherit everything of mine? I wouldn't want that. There needs to be guidelines and being legally married is a fairly good one. Not to mention the link that BothWaysSecret gave.

2. smurf

So there are answers for these that A LOT of other countries implement. The US is just its weird little self were we barely have any other option other than single or married. Its dumb.

In other countries there are "different" levels so you can choose different legal protections while not having to get married.

For example, in Colombia if you live with a person for longer than a year then you can get legal protections so make sure that you cannot get kicked out of your home even if you don't legally own it. This allows people to be able to live together, not own property together, but also have the security of knowing that they are going to be safe.

One of the cool side effects from the marriage equality fight was that a lot of states now have full protection for domestic partners, which can be used as a step below marriage while sharing some of the legal protections.

Hopefully as younger people get into power we will see a shift away from only marriage as being the main way to gain these legal protections.

I'm married, but we did it more for the legal protections than for the romantic sense of it all. We knew we were going to be together for a long time whether we got married or not, but having legal backing takes the risk of making some decision together.

Reality and hope are just different. This is why even if people are madly in love, prenups are soooo helpful for everyone involved.

Say you don't have a prenup and you get married. Your husband goes into $100k in debt for his degree. You then catch him cheating on you and you decide to get a divorce. If things go wrong and you live in the wrong state, you could be stuck helping pay off your cheating husbands debt for the rest of your life.

More common, if your cheating husband goes into debt collection, legally they can go after this joint bank account or joint assets like houses, cars, etc to pay off the debt.

Marriage can get so complicated. Everyone should have a conversation with their spouse about what happens if things don't work out.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to have a companion, which could end up in marriage or not.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve been pondering lately why so many committed, permanent gay couples are choosing not to get legally married, even though it’s legal and has been for 3 1/2 years now here in the US. I mean we spent all that time, energy, and money on activism, lawsuits, waging political campaigns, and lobbying politicians to get it legalized in all 50 states and you’re not going to take advantage of it?

5. smurf

Its a bit complicated. Way complicated.

We fought for people to have the option if they so wished, not just to get married for the sake of getting married.

Culture also changes. Younger generations are not keen on marriage as a necessity. More of us are waiting until we are in our 30s to get married, more are waiting to live together before they get married, and due to all of those and more variables divorce rate is going down.

But marriage should never be seen as an end all be all. It was a way to get rights for those who wanted them and also change the cultural perception of same-sex couples overall.

Sad day it will be if any LGBT person gets married out of "duty"

6. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m married and I’m in favor of marriage. That being said, I wish people would put more thought into it. Instead of rushing into it, make sure it’s what you want. I know that’s bugs change and people grow apart, but I think part of the problem is people who should not have married in this first place

7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see it as we fought for the CHOICE. The ability to choose if that is what we want. Not the requirement.

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely agree with this.

9. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't think so.. also gay marriage is not even legal in my country yet so even if i wanted.. i can't!

10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That sucks. I think everyone should have the option.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I ever found someone that I loved that deeply and wanted to spend my life with, yes I absolutely would want to be married.

Though I am content with never marrying as well. I am happy being single.

12. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah it sucks :frowning2:
    that's definitely how i feel

13. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea of being married at some point, but I don't think I've ever really sat down and considered what married life would be like. Of course, I've got a few years ahead of me before getting married becomes a serious concept, but in the abstract, yes, I think I'd like to be married.

14. Loves books

I want to get married for legal protection and to show commitment. It has no religious significance for me. I was raised Catholic and the Catholic Church refuses to perform marriages to gay couples. I no longer consider myself Catholic so have no interest in a religious ceromony.

15. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've already been married once (to a woman), and was in 14+yr relationship with my kids' mother.
    I'd absolutely love to be married again, should I find the right guy I mesh well with. Of course since I've yet to have any bf, no need in putting the cart before the horse quite yet.

16. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm too introverted to want a wife. Dating is nice but I don't want to live with someone unless they are super introverted like me.

17. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why get married on Sunday when you can get fired or evicted for it on Monday? Or when you have to call around asking who is willing to host/cater/DJ your wedding and who believes it's against their religion?

Getting married opens the door to so much discrimination. And in our current political climate that's only going to get worse. So I'm not in any hurry right now.

#37 SemiCharmedLife, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I wanna be a cute stay at home husband and cook nice dinners for my husband and rub his feet after a long day at work and talk with him about his terrible coworkers. I like the idea.

19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is so sweet. I always said if I married a man I would love it if he was a stay at home father or parent.

20. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would get married. But I don't want to rush it.
    My parents were married for 17 years throughout which my mom was emotionally and physically abusive. So that has made me hesitant to make such a big commitment. If I did get married it would have to be to someone I have been with for years who I know really well.

My dad made the mistake of rushing into marriage and my mom didn't show how fucked up she was until they were married. So yeah I'd love to be married to someone but I gotta really know them.

For me that would be a bigger factor in determining if I wanted to marry someone over what society thinks about it, if I marry a girl and society doesn't like it then screw society cuz I've already gone through enough shit in life and I deserve to be happy.

And yeah I'll probably be discriminated against but screw them. If she makes me happy then what others think doesn't matter to me. And yeah society might make things tough, but I am a smart, strong, independent woman so I can find a way past whatever they throw at me.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk