1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married... 3 kids... confused!!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jake1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First off I will give you a brief background of myself.. When I was little I had "girlfriends" but they were just for fun and I never did anything sexually (because that's what all guys do) I always wanted to but I was always terrified and overthought the whole process.

I had a few close guy friends and all I ever thought about was ways I could get them naked. I was always trying to get them to go hot tubbing so I could try and sneak a peak while they were changing. I got one of my friends to make out with me so we could "learn" how to do it. Other than that I had no sexual experience.

Fast forward I got married to a woman at the age of 18. I've only been with 1 woman that I love a lot. We have been married for over 4 years and we have 3 children. I am constantly checking out and fantasizing about other guys. I've read multiple different blogs and keep going back to "being gay is a choice" So I work super hard restricting my thoughts of other men and the sex gets better and I can focus on her sexually, but it only lasts a week or so and then my old habits break in.

I have no idea what to do. I am miserable, I love my wife and I love my kids and I don't want to screw the amazing relationship we have but what if I am gay? What if it's not a choice? What if I decide I am gay and then I get a divorce just to find out it was just a phase/fantasy!

Deep down I believe being gay is a choice and that I just didn't experience enough before getting married at the age of 18 and if I would have just messed around with other guys I would have gotten over this phase. I've had people my whole life questioning my sexuality saying that they think I'm gay which I believe might have subconsciously made me start thinking I'm gay?? I have no idea what to do! I would love your thoughts and any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

#1 jake1, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    jake1.....I'm married to a woman that I love a lot...I have three kids that I love a lot...I don't want to screw up my amazing relationship either....and I am gay. The difference? I've been married for 39 years, my three sons are adults and I have four grandkids. I got married at 27, I'm 67 now. I came out here on empty closets in December 2014. I came out to my wife in March 2016. We have built a life together and we have chosen to stay together. What I want to really emphasize to you is that I tried my best to force myself to be straight. I did that for 55 years. I have had a good life...but I can't begin to tell you about the hell I suffered through for all those years because I tried to pretend that I was not gay. IT DID NOT WORK. What it did was torture me. I was always so ashamed and guilty because I could not stop looking at other guys, thinking about them, wondering what it would be like to be with them. It was the worst at night...I perfected the technique of crying myself to sleep silently so my wife would not hear me. In the end it came down to accepting myself as a gay man or ending my life. I cannot speak for you...but for me and every other gay man that I know...being gay was not a choice. I nearly destroyed myself trying so hard to make it a choice when it was something that was so much a part of me that I could not live any longer denying it. There is no question that choosing to act or not to act on any attraction is a choice, but opposite or same sex attraction is a very deep part of our basic persona. As far as I know, it is a part that we cannot change. I don't want to discourage you. I want to encourage you...I have never been happier since I finally gave up that loosing battle, accepted myself and learned to love myself. Being gay/bisexual is not a punishment and it does not mean that a marriage has to end. Neither does it mean that you would lose your children. There is also no question, that at your age with young children and four years into a marriage that you have decisions to make that will be difficult. BUT PLEASE, no matter how difficult those decisions become, don't do what I did and torture yourself for decades and decades. I would encourage you to find a counselor/therapist as soon as you can....use whatever excuse works to make it happen. Without the help of my therapist I don't think I could have made it. If you and your wife truly love each other, a way can be found to work almost anything out. I have to be honest with you....everything that you have written really does indicate that you are at least bisexual if not gay. I have looked back at so many things that happened to me in the past and just shook my head...how could I have not accepted the fact that I was gay 50 years ago...it was so very obvious. It seems to me that it is pretty obvious in your case that you are not straight. I know several guys who are bisexual and have stayed married...this may very well be who you could be! You say the sex gets better and better...for me it got worse and worse, that really does sound like you are bisexual. I do hope this helps....there are a lot of folks here on empty closets who I know will reach out to you. I do hope some of our bisexual guys will do their best to give you some encouragement and advice. Hang in there Jake, understanding our sexuality can be rough, but it's not the end....it's the beginning! ...David

3. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much for such a great response! I've never reached out before and I can't believe how detailed of a response you sent me! I do have one personal question for you.. if you've been with your wife for so long, how do you know you're truly gay? What if subconsciously something happened when you were younger that made you think you were gay and you just assumed it was true and never acted on it so you just kept fantasizing about it. I have read quite a few people thought they were gay and then once they tried actually experiencing it they realized they were not gay at all. I over analyze and overthink every angle, if that's to personal you don't need to respond.

How does your wife deal with it? I may have came across wrong when I said the sex is getting better. What I meant by that is when I really block everything out and cut off any thoughts I ever get about the opposite sex and I tell myself all day long how much I want to bang my wife the sex is much better, but it only lasts for a few days and then I go back to my "old" habits. I hope that clears that up a little bit.

How did coming out make you feel happier if you're still in a straight marriage? Do you now act differently then you did before?

Honestly I go through spurts of doing great and then just going into slight depression and anger. I just can't believe I got myself into this situation. After so many years of being confused I am no closer than I was 10 years ago to figuring it out! Now I have a wife and 3 kids which makes it so much more complicated

#3 jake1, Oct 22, 2017
  4. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you should put aside for the time being the question of whether you are "gay" or "straight" and instead focus on what you think your life would be like if you in fact "came out" to your wife as gay and compare that to what you think your life would be like if you continued to manage your sexual attractions to other men through fantasies, etc. The truth is that being an out gay man is often not like being an out straight guy except with boyfriends (or husbands) instead of girlfriends (or wives). There are significant, unique struggles and challenges for gay men that (I believe) emanate from within the gay community itself, and you should make yourself aware of them so that you can make an informed decision no matter what you choose. You can find out a lot of information and opinions about this on the internet and through discussion boards such as this one. Some guys feel a great sense of freedom by coming out and leaving their wives regardless of the cost, while others feel disappointed and later come to regret the decision. Personally, I was married to a woman for 10 years, have been divorced/separated for about 20 years, had a lot of fantasies about guys (and some mild fooling around) before and during (only fantasies) my marriage, and have had a fair amount of sex and some relationships with men since I was divorced. Ideally I would like to have a monogamous male partner to whom I am attracted and who is an appropriate match for me (e.g., not a big age difference, no substance abuse issues, employed, same values, etc.), but that's a pretty tall order. I don't regret my decision to get a divorce because things had gotten really bad, but I do sometimes wish my marriage had worked out because it wasn't all bad. So if I were to find a woman that I felt some attraction for and who would accept my bi-leaning-gay orientation, and who would be a good partner/companion, I would go for it.

#4 justaguyinsf, Oct 22, 2017
    jake1 likes this.
  5. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I partially disagree with Justaguyinsf, Jake1; I think that defining who are you to yourself first before to others is crucial. You don't want to come out as gay to your wife to realize that you're bi or straight with not-so-straight weird thoughts! as Quebec traces it out for you, therapy would be your best bet now, it'll help you clear your mind and define who you are and therefore would support you on whatever decision you're going to take in the future.

I've been married to a woman for 25 years, my kids are adults now, and I lived a tormenting life with my wife; besides that we had problems that I overcame just for the sake of maintaining the family together, my gay tendencies never disappeared, on the contrary, they grew every day, and sex with my wife was from bad to worse. Crying myself to sleep at times .. kind of identical to Quebec's story. But in my case, and once the kids were on their own, I broke the news to my wife and asked for a divorce, we've been living in separation for more than 10 months now and currently in the process of negotiating the terms of divorce.

You would know if you're gay or not, I have never fantasized about women, never had sex with neither women nor men before I got married to my wife, but at that stage, the sex deprivation, and being young, sex with anyone would be great! I thought that being gay was just a phase, since sex with my wife was good, not being exposed to any other options! but it got worse, and still I continued to admire men, not women, I fantasized about men, I've never been straight, but pretended to be one. I am at a stage that I'd prefer to live alone than with my wife, or any other woman for that matter.

You have a commitment towards your wife and kids though, and if your wife is understanding, she would support you in your journey, opening up to her might be a viable option for you to consider, it's your call though. But your kids, sooner or later, would need to know, and it is your choice whether to tell them or not. I strongly support the therapy idea, since it'll guide you through the process, the therapist won't tell you what to do, but will help you understand who you are and what you want. Do it, sooner than later.

Good luck in your journey. Hugs.

Leela80 and jake1 like this.
  6. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Jake,

You are in a tough spot and I feel for you. I agree with the advice here that you could certainly benefit from therapy.

I don't know if you are gay or bisexual, but it does seem likely that you are not straight based upon what you have written here. The fact that you are able to have sex with your wife, and even enjoy it, does not make you straight or even bisexual. At your age, sex feels good no matter the gender, and it's pretty easy to get turned on. But there are some telling sentences in your posts that I'd like to highlight:

"I am constantly checking out and fantasizing about other guys."
    "So I work super hard restricting my thoughts of other men"
    "What I meant by that is when I really block everything out and cut off any thoughts I ever get about the opposite sex and I tell myself all day long how much I want to bang my wife the sex is much better"
    "Honestly I go through spurts of doing great and then just going into slight depression and anger."

These statements are classic signals of the different stages of loss - in this case, it's the loss of your straight identity. The stages are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Grief, Acceptance. I see elements of denial, anger and bargaining in your posts that are pretty illuminating to me. You are clinging to the myth that homosexuality is a choice. It's not a choice. But it's a part of the bargaining process because you convince yourself that you don't have to be gay (or bi) if you don't want to, and that allows you to stay where you are.

The simple fact is that straight men do not spend their time thinking about and fantasizing about other men. They don't have to block their thoughts and work hard at restricting their thoughts in order to have sex.

I understand your worries that your same-sex attractions aren't real. So many of us who are in the closet or have left the closet have had those exact same worries. I worried about it too.

I would encourage you to continue this journey, seek therapy, and spend the time to figure yourself out. I didn't do that, and instead I spent decades in denial only to finally come out at 47 years old. Please believe me that it's so much more difficult to come out in your late 40s than it would be in your 20s.

Keep reading posts here, and keep posting your thoughts and questions here. It will help.

Take care. :gay_pride_flag:

JToivonen, jake1 and Pole star like this.
  7. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second that therapy - preferably with a LGBT friendly therapist would be a good idea. It may help you to better understand yourself. Thinking about men and having sexual thoughts about men does not necessarily mean you are guy. But it is definitely something you should discuss with a professional. Also I do not believe being gay is a choice. The fact that your thoughts and feelings keep going back to men kind of proves that point in my opinion. I think that you have a choice to acknowledge it and/or to act on it. But not a choice in the orientation itself. I am here if you ever need advice. I am a bi-sexual mother of two. Happily married to a man for 15 years.

jake1 likes this.
  8. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow.. so much to think about! Thank you all so much for your thoughts. Reading back my statements it clearly looks like I'm gay haha. The more I really think about it the more it's blatantly obvious I'm gay and can't accept it. I just keep going back to the idea that it's a choice and I can break it if I keep working at it! So far it's just left me miserable though LOL.

I honestly can't afford therapy and I live in a very small town that therapy isn't an option. It's a few hours to the next nearest town that's a decent size. Life is such a challenge!

I really thought about it today what it would be like to be divorced and there is so many emotions! My wife doesn't have any education because she's been a stay at home mom so that just stresses me out because it is my responsibility to take care of her financially. In my mind what I keep visioning is getting a divorce and staying VERY close friends and taking care of her financially so she can stay at home raising the kids and we live together for awhile until I can financially afford my own place while supporting her. I almost see myself wanting to live with her as good friends until one of us finds a significant other and then figure it out from there.. I know that's probably not realistic but we are great friends!

The more I think about it the more I have completely screwed everything up by being married. I don't have a lot of fun with her anymore because if we have fun it leads to her wanting to have sex so I am kind of just shut off in that aspect and have completely shifted my attitude towards her. She has complained multiple times how it seems like I'm just going through the motions sexually and I'm not all there. I constantly make excuses why I can't have sex that night - I'm so tired -My stomach hurts etc. It's pathetic and sad really.

I just don't understand how I can go a few days completely engaged and thriving sexually with her and then completely shutting down again. I feel like if I can do that I must be BI and not gay?? If I'm BI and not gay then there is no reason I shouldn't be able to get more active sexually. So confused right now.

Thank you so much for your help! You have no idea how much this means to me.

9. Mr B

I am a bit like you, just older. When I was about 20, I started realizing that I could be gay and there would be no way back once I allowed it to go that way, which made me feel desperate. I then made a huge effort to 'focus' my sexual energy as much as I could through heterosexual channels, which kind of worked sometimes, like you describe. Once I met me wife, it worked very well in the beginning, partially because we were in love, its was all new and we were young and full of energy. Actually I even manage d to 'forget' about it for about 10 years and sometimes genuinely thought that I had managed to 'become' straight. However, there are huge costs for: 1-Keeping your secret from her 2- Constantly trying to put your sexual energy into a straightjacket. Depression, anxiety, not being able to emotionally connect with other people, this is the price you pay everyday for it. Once it becomes too much, you end up doing something about. Its just that the longer you wait, the more you pay for it.

JToivonen, SweetT80, Leela80 and 4 others like this.
  10. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    therapy would be the best option. I don't know how it works in the US but if you cannot afford it is difficult. Explore options. Until then you can discuss with a close gay friend and also communicate regularly on EC. I have learned a lot by reading these forums and contributing here. It has helped me understand myself massively and I am sure it will help you too.

jake1 likes this.
  11. mav96213

Mr B is right on the money. Hate to tell you this, but what you are describing is the sexual "roller coaster" ride that you can't get off of. Every time you "think" you have your emotions in check, put your seat belt on... because in my opinion the male attraction will never go away (no matter how hard you try to bury it)! It re-surfaces, and often times, it's stronger than before.

Here are a couple other posts that I put on other threads; however... read them because I think a lot of the same emotions are at play....

https://forum.emptyclosets.com/inde...ion-crippling-depression.463408/#post-6534308

https://forum.emptyclosets.com/inde...ealizing-your-attraction.463526/#post-6534324

Good luck, I know the pain your struggling with...

#11 mav96213, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    bearheart and jake1 like this.
  12. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Did you end up staying with your wife? Would love to hear your story. Therapy isn't an option for me. I live in a small town hours away from any therapy and I can't afford it.

Honestly after going through a lot of forums I'm against therapy. I've read so many saying "I've been in Therapy for 3 years going over my sexuality and frustration with my marriage I'm just so miserable" and it just seems like an endless cycle. I'm honestly the type that hates wasting time, if I'm truly gay I have no problem being 100% honest with my wife and moving on. I just hate the fact that you truly never know until you take those steps.. I don't understand why people keep going through therapy if they have confirmed they're gay and miserable.. why do you still need therapy? Break off your marriage and move on? Now I'm just kind of contradicting myself though... sigh lol!

I will go read your linked posts now Mav, thanks.

13. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In the post you referred me to I saw someone mention Try "Shelter which is a gay movie. I just watched it and it made me realize I really can't imagine myself having a relationship with a man.. I instantly think of being weak.. did you guys have these feelings before coming out? Did they change once you started engaging with other men?

14. Mr B

I ended up staying together for now, but its a daily struggle. The thing is that after coming out we had a sort of reset in our relationship and ended up strenghtening our bond. Of course it was a very crazy and emotional period after coming out to her but it in the end it stabilized. The important thing is that the first and hardest bit is eliminated, which was the secret that was poisoning myself and our relationship. Now that she is involved, its not only my sole decision how things will turn out and the only problem left is the i.e. what to do with my sexuality, but this is now a joint problem. Currently, I am letting things flow organically, I am trying my best and she knows it and if it does not work in the end, I hope that she will know that there was really no other way and hopefully there will not be that feeling of regret that if only we had tried a bit harder things might have worked out. For now, there is still a little bit of hope. Nevertheless, the whole thing also changed a lot of our plans, where we want to live, our future and so on, it completely changed our priorities. So that we are now working towards having a situation where if things don't work for us eventually, there would be less disruption in our lives and for the kids as if it would happen now.

jake1 likes this.
  15. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also am curious.. this may be too much information, but after I jerk off to gay porn, all my fantasies go away and in the short term I'm much closer to my wife once sex is off my mind. Does that mean sexually I'm just attracted to men, but emotionally I'm attracted to women??

16. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been devouring the threads the last two days after stumbling across the site and something popped up exactly like what you're talking about. They said after coming out to your wife your bond becomes stronger because you're being vulnerable and opening up communication with your wife and that makes her want to have sex even more and you feel closer because you finally let out that lie that's been weighing you down. The thread said to really try to refrain from having sex at this point because it just makes everything more complicated and draws out the whole process more.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it definitely sounds like your situation. Now that I think about it that's actually what happened to me exactly when I came out to my wife as Bi the first time a year ago. Honestly though, when you have sex with her are you in the moment only thinking about her, or are you fantasizing about other men? I know that after I have talked to my wife about being "bi" for a few days I was completely focused on her, but then I fell back into the old patterns of just fantasizing about guys while we were having sex.

#16 jake1, Oct 24, 2017
  17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jake...Wow! at lot of responses. The folks here on empty closets do care and will do their best to help!!! You asked me several questions...I'll try to answer them:
    1) I've been with my wife so long, how do I know I'm really gay? Well, before I got married at 27 years old I had a number of gay relationships. Actually quit a few. From about age 18-25 I was kind of wild...I had sex with about 18 different guys (top and bottom) and I liked it. My problem was learning how to have sex with a woman. I really did/do love her and wanted a family, plus I wanted to be a high school teacher. That meant I could not be gay. That is when I decided to choose to be straight...I thought that I could do that and it did not work.
    2) How does my wife deal with it? Well, first of all she is an angel! We do love each other and have built a life together for 39 years, so we have chosen to stay together. I have never cheated on my wife and I am not going to start now. She says that knowing now that I am gay explains a lot of things over the years that confused her! We haven't had sex for about 20 years....a combination of a severe spinal degeneration on my part as well as the fact that I just could no longer mentally/emotionally handle penis/vagina sex. Love does not require sex!
    3) I have literally never been happier in my life than now. Coming out took away the terrible secret that had tortured me for decades. No more shame and guilt because I was hiding such a big secret from my wife. The relief was absolutely incredible. Yes I am still in a straight marriage, but we do love each other and I have wonderful kids and grandkids. A lot of my friends that I have NOT come out to have remarked in the last several years at how much happier and stress-free I am now. I tell them it's because I retired and no longer have to live by a schedule that made me get up at 5:30 every morning (I am not a morning person). But in reality it's because the terrible weight of that secret that I kept for 55+ years is gone....the guilt is gone...the shame is gone...the stress is gone!!! I really am happier than I have ever been before.
    4) Finally....sex! you didn't ask about this, but I'm putting it on the list anyway. I have found (this is how I feel and everyone else has a right to feel differently) that masturbation can be quite satisfying. A few toys, a little variation in what and when you do things, some good videos on my computer and I am just fine. It takes care of my needs and hurts no one.

Sure hope some of this helps!!! Keep posting...we will all keep helping!!!!!!!! ......David

Arianna240985 likes this.
  18. jake1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    [I have literally never been happier in my life than now.] So are you saying all these years of hiding that you're gay and staying with your wife was completely worth the sacrifice of being who you really are?

[Finally....sex!] That makes sense that you can pass off with a computer, I could do the same! The problem is my wife is very sexual and wants to have sex 4+ times a week. She is VERY sexually active so there is no way in hell my wife would ever let me pass on sex! How does your wife deal with that? Was she very sexual from the beginning or was she not really interested in it anyways? That seems like that would be hard on her end?

So my final question for you Quebec - If you could go back in time, after having your kids, would you divorce your wife? Since you have such an amazing companionship it seems like you could pull off being great friends and then living the "gay" lifestyle.

Another problem I have with just coming out to a few people is I would still feel like I would want to keep it a secret. Do people not question your sexuality? Since I can remember I have always had people questioning me. I feel like I hide it very well but somehow people just have a gut feeling that I'm gay? I was just told by a coworker few months ago that a customer just assumed I was gay and was completely blown away that I have 3 kids and I'm married. It's so hard telling people "hell no" why the hell would you think that! I'm married, obviously im not gay!

#18 jake1, Oct 24, 2017
  19. Mr B

I am just letting things flow organically and taking our lives to where they need to go, eventually. Rather than force things to happen quicker and then have to deal with regret later. Putting in an effort to make it work is part of it, but, yes if I tell you I am 100% focused on her during sex I would be lying, but not fantasing about men, either. I thing I just focus on my body and the sensations and the skin contact. So its different than proper attraction to partner. If I see pics of naked guys, thats attraction and it turns me on...

20. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jake...
    1)NO! All the years of hiding, the years of hell and guilt were not worth finally being who I really am. It was hell and I don't wish it on anyone. I could have accepted who I really am at just about any time during those long, depressing decades that almost lead me to suicide. I could have been the real me at any time, but the pressure from society and religion to be heteronormative overwhelmed me and so I suffered through it. That's why I tell people not to do what I did. After I got married it only got worse. Then I had a marriage vow to live up to, a wife and eventually children to care for and love in addition to everything else. I felt totally trapped...hopeless. As society began to change and my boys became adults, I began to see that I might be able to find a way out of the mess I was in. So I am now out to a few, important folks and the guilt and fear that went with it are pretty much in the past. I am not out to the world, but after all why should everybody be told who I would like to have sex with?
    2) SEX...Neither one of us was ever overly sexual. My reason was pretty obvious...have sex with a woman was possible for me (Kinsey 5), but not easy and not fun. I think my wife was inhibited due to her very religious upbringing. So it was something we did because we were expected to and we did want to have children. It was always very awkward and more of a chore than an intimate experience.
    3) Divorce my wife after kids.....NO. I would never do that to her or my kids. I came from a divorced home and I hated it. Even in a situation where dad is still around and spending time with the kids, it still leaves emotional scars on all involved. I lived with that and would not ever do that to my kids or my wife for that matter.
    4) Passing...I am lucky, I guess. I pass as a red-blooded, cis-male, straight man and always have. Almost all of the friends that I have come out to have done a double-take and asked me if I was kidding when I told them I was gay. I know that everyone is not like that, but for me it is a non-issue.
    I hope all of this helps you. Don't hesitate to ask more questions....we (EC) will do the best we can to give you a hand. Without EC I would not have made it...let us help in any way that we can! ....David

Arianna240985 likes this.