1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating With Mental Illness

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jazmine01, Jun 27, 2017.

1. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a few mental health issues going on, and I want to date soon, but I'm scared to. In my case, I feel like I would become too clingy or they wouldn't care what I would have to say. Personally, I have friends with mental illness that have been in relationships. As long as its no harm to anybody involved's physical or mental health, there is no issue.

2. beagle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    jazmine01 , I know you said you have tried therapy and find it hard and feel like crap afterwards but what i am finding out therapy is not easy.I started last week and the next day was in tears and well down. Have you tried the medication route see if they could help you alittle ?

Well that is the question " Can you love someone if you don't love yourself ". I see jonsomebody where you were going with you story, thanks for sharing as it was personel. About him loving himself too much in his narrasictic manner. Lucky you are alright mate.

Does anyone truely love themselves, fair enough varying degrees . I think as long as you are honest with people and start as friends then they get to know you before friendship turns into anything else.

Having gone through severe depression ,self harm ,suicide attempts and now the anxiety is the one that remains.

3. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for sharing, it means a lot. My depression, anxiety, and social phobia has been really bad lately and I'm just trying to figure things out. It's really confusing to me because half of my brain is telling me to be alone and stay away from all people, and the other half is so so lonely, wanting people to care about me and love me, even with all my mental bs.

4. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's something that breaks my heart, and I haven't even been in a relationship before. Knowing that the person I love will have to watch me beat myself down and not be able to do anything. That they know I will never love myself or see myself the way they see me...

5. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope you can find someone who loves you for you and will always listen and care about what you have to say :heart:

6. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am on Zoloft/Setraline right now and it hasn't been working, but they won't change my medication until I get to the highest dosage. Therapy tends to my make my situation worse. I go into a deep spiral of depression and anxiety for a week or two after every appointment and it just isn't helping.

7. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Jazzi! Well I think the first thing we can do is dump that dumb saying. Or else it just becomes a chicken-and-egg circle that doesn't help at all.

Being mentally ill is like having a sprained ankle: something is wrong that is not your fault, and should be treated. Would you avoid anti-inflammatories and just try to "un-swell" by yourself?

My two cents is that you don't have to disclose all your frailties right away when dating. Even if you're on meds. (Anti-depressants make it hard to orgasm, I have been bitten by that, and have had partners likewise.) But a (good) relationship is the best anti-depressant. Remember, every other person has their issues too (like National Geographic, as the saying goes). Anyone who can't handle your imperfections is wrong for you anyway.

You have my sympathy. It is terrible when one's "it's not worth it" meter is stuck full-on. You can't talk yourself out of it, or you would have already done that. Meds help. Life helps more.

8. Jazmine01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much. Your input means a lot right now.

9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being on EC is good therapy. Even though -- as we all discover -- our thoughts and our feelings aren't the same thing. What's worst is being anxious about depression: what if it really hits me while I'm on a date/out with friends/driving on a bridge/bla bla. Nobody deserves it.

Don't be afraid to ask (OK pester) your doc about experimenting with meds. Zoloft and Prozac did nothing for me... except make me fat. Rawr! Lexapro better, Wellbutrin best. Just my experience, but you are your own unique person. Something will be the right key for your lock. Love works best. xo

P.S.: Make good use of your national health system. You've probably heard about our issues down here. (I know California won't let me down but still things should be better. Health care per se is great... paying for it is not.)

#29 beenthrdonetht, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017