1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musicals

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RedTrekkie95, Jun 5, 2017.

1. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi all,

It's one of those stereotypes that gay men are into musicals. I'm not sure how it applies to others, but I definitely fit this stereotype.

I'm into the old ones, namely The Sound of Music; Mary Poppins, etc.

Is anyone else a fan of musicals, either in films or theatre? If so, what are your favourites?

2. Mark1410

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not exactly gay, but i like musicals as well, even if mostly old school ones. My favourites are The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Sweeney Todd, The Producers (2005 remake, even if i love the original one).
    If Nightmare Before Christmas and Pink Floyd The Wall count such as, I pick them too.

3. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sound of Music, Annie, Mary Poppins, The Wizard of Oz, Hairspray, Grease, Footloose, Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (The one that came out in 1997, I think, with Brandy and Whitney Houston , Mamma Mia, La La Land, Nightmare Before Christmas (not sure if that counts), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (again, like NmBC, not sure if it counts)

#3 BothWaysSecret, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  4. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I liked Sweeney Todd. I was going to watch Rocky Horror, but never got round to it. Many people recommended it to me so I should watch it soon.

I loved Grease and Mamma Mia, I know all the songs to them.

5. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes! Another Rocky fan!!! (*hug*) (!)

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2017 at 04:09 PM ----------

Hamilton, West Side Story, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Wicked, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Grease, Into the Woods, Mamma Mia, Annie, Hairspray, Sound of Music, The Corpse Bride, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hercules, Beauty and the Beast

6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Grease is one of my top favorites! It does get cheesy at points (like the entire "Beauty school dropout" sequence), but I like the story and the songs are so damn catchy!

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2017 at 04:12 PM ----------

I've always wanted to see Wicked, but I haven't had a chance yet

#6 BothWaysSecret, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  7. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wicked is really good. My school performed it as one of their annual plays. The songs are catchy too.

8. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I saw Les miserable live but that's the only musical I am obsessed with. I was also invited to see Hamilton live but I'm not crazy about it.. I don't think I like musicals so much

9. grass

grass Guest

I'm a lesbian and LOVE theater.. So am I a gay girl acting like a gay guy??

10. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There are many stereotypes some true and some not for different people. I'm just saying that this is one of the only 'gay' stereotypes that fit me. I did not mean to imply anything, and sorry if I put you under that impression.

What kinds of theatre do you like? (Love your user pic BTW)

#10 RedTrekkie95, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  11. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *fangirl scream*
    Yes! Sweeney Todd is great, I love love LOVE Hamilton, one of my favorites is the Pirates of Penzance (my friend and I calculated that it takes place in 1877, yay math!) and I have performed in The Little Mermaid and Pirates as mentioned before on school (not out, so in a male role, but still fun) West Side Story is beautiful, does Tommy by The Who count?

12. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In all honesty, a lot of gay guys that I am acquainted with do have issues with me because I am not a HUGE Broadway guy. In fact, there a just a few musicals that I do like and I have been to some musicals as a date or invited guest. A lot of them are well known but that is just not my thing. To each its own though.

13. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOVE musicals!!!!! Avenue Q is probably my favorite

14. grass

grass Guest

^^ For RedTrekkie- I like off broadway stuff that has a rock vibe to it. A coyple years ago, I saw this great local (how local is saratoga?) show called "Spun". The music, lighting, and storytelling was all very unique. I like classic musicals, too. In 6th grade, I had an unhealthy obsession with The Phantom of the Opera. I love West Side Story, Grease, Hairspray, Little Shop of Horrors, etc. I wish I could go to more shows. There is a popular theater in my city, but we can't really afford it. Sometimes I busk on my violin outside the entrance of the theater and people give me tickets. Thanks fot the compliment btw. Sorry if this response is sloppy.

15. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know what you mean, I can only afford to treat myself once a year max. West Side Story is a good one as well. Isn't is based on Romeo and Juliet to some extent?

16. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh boy, hello family! I'm the wrong type of gay, but definitely a big theatre fan! I came out in June 2014 and felt excluded from a lot of things in school as a result, as I was only 14. And then our school went to see Wicked, amd it resonated with me so deeply that I've had a lasting obsession with it ever since. I adore anything that Idina Menzel does- RENT is one I very thoroughly reccommend because it's incredible, and given that it's centered around the AIDS crisis, very topical to the community. Plus a m/m couple, f/f couple in the main cast... amazing.

If/Then also featured Idina Menzel, and also had a bisexual male lead, a bisexual black female lead who had a lesbian girlfriend, and the bisexual male character had a boyfriend (in one of the lifetimes anyway) and they had a son together! It never got hugely popular and finished in July 2016 and Hamilton took it's place in the Richard Rogers theatre, but it was honestly incredible. There are bootlegs floating round that I am willing to share if anyone is interested... :wink:

Others I love are Phantom of the Opera (I saw on 16th of February this year and it was AMAZING), The Rocky Horror Show (I saw it on 23rd of February 2016 and it was hilarious!!!), Ghost the Musical (IT HONESTLY MURDERED ME A REAL UNDERDOG BUT STUNNING! I saw it on the 22nd of February this year and wow... I was blown away!). I also love Hamilton which I have tickets to see next year, Little Shop of Horrors is always a crease up, The Lion King is ASTOUNDING I saw it on the 25th of July 2014 and can retain most details of the show because it was so spectacular. Les Miserables is a good one to scream sing to whenever you feel down, bonus points if you drag your friend into it. Bonus bonus points if you just broke up with your ex and you watch it whilst crying, singing, and cradling an entire tub of ben and jerry's ice cream. Chicago is always a good one to especially when you're sick of men. It makes me feel quite powerful

The take away? I love musicals and I have some hyper fixation issues also

17. Clinker

Clinker Guest

Seen a few. But the ones that stand out to me (or at least the more serious ones) are:

Sweeney Todd, the version i saw was set in the 1970s, an interesting twist and very well adapted, with a witherspoon-esque pie shop set and Robin Reliant as Adolfo Pirelli' sales cart. The overall vibe goes from disturbing to hilarious at the drop of a hat. The story was the same though, and has to be said, it put the film to shame.

Lion King, possibly the best show ive seen (what a shock ). The sets were colourful and suited the savannah setting beautifully, all puppets and costumes were well suited to its respective character. Not to mention zazu, Timon and Pumbaa' improvised moments........and Scar's performance was absolutely Marvellous. Loved it, stands toe to toe with the film, id say. still waiting my chance to see it again.

Wicked, always like a villains side of the story. Sets a good motive for the wicked witch's deeds in the wizard of oz. was glad to be dragged along to it out of the blue. Wonderful.

Thriller live, What can i say. MJ tribute by some very talented performers. Though the costumes and some regular performers looked a bit tired the second time i saw it. still had its entertainment factor, however.

Starlight Express, I haven't seen this in person, rather a recording on youtube. kudos to the performers, cant be easy doing doing a show in roller skates, and the costume designers for getting the look of the various locomotives somewhat recognisable to the characters intended basis.

Jeff Wayne's The war of the worlds, shame this had to end it run. The music fit the scenes it accompanied, the choice of voice for the songs (with exception to some tours) were well cast, that enormous Martian fighting machine with the large video playing behind the stage. Buy a copy of the recording on DVD or Look it up on youtube, it's simply brilliant (I recommend Forever autumn and Thunderchild for song choice, the ones that got me hooked. Hope the link works).

Musical theatre is something everyone can enjoy for a night out. You know its a good one if your humming a tune to yourself a week after you leave the theatre.

18. Liam0429

I love musicals!

Next To Normal will always have a special place in my heart. I was raised on musical theatre, but Next To Normal is really what got me into it. It has a beautiful story altogether, although it's ultimately very heavy.

In The Heights is my current favorite. I didn't get to see it on Broadway, but I'm going to be seeing a production of it in the fall.

The View UpStairs was off-Broadway, but I loved it. It was about a part of LGBT history that is very rarely talked about. It was really cool.

19. Taraeos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love theatre, particularly the contemporary side of musical theatre- performing that music has always been a huge passion, composers like Scott Alan, Joey contreras, Pasek & Paul and Jonathan Reid Gealt (and so many more) are particular favourites of mine..

In terms of shows, I adore Bare, a pop opera (amazing show with a particular focus on LGBTQ issues) Spring Awakening, Bonnie and Clyde Thoroughly Modern Millie, Wicked..Honestly there are so many :grin:

Such a stunning show! I'm sad it's never made it here to London, so I haven't seen it live, but thank god for bootlegs. Love everything about the show, the story, music lyrics and casting were brilliant. I always felt it never quite got the recognition it deserved.

20. Justinian20

I don't mind musicals but I don't go out of my way to watch them. So I don't fit the stereotype in that way.