1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The nature of attraction

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by rosemarythyme, Jun 5, 2017.

1. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello, I've been reading EC for a while but haven't been up to posting much. I've been questioning my sexuality since last autumn. I guess my story is fairly typical: platonically in love with best girl friend as a child but didn't make anything of it, never much into dating, not much of a sex life, married the second man I met, had a child, the relationship fell apart for other reasons although we're still married and living together as co-parents and house mates and get on alright once the requirement of intimacy was removed. Then I fell in love with a woman. I can't have a romantic relationship with her for various reasons but I'm grateful to her for being the catalyst. The reasons I fell in love with her are complicated (she is a sort of mother figure to me among other things) but the sexual part of it took me by surprise and, without knowing it, she made me ask the question: could I feel like that about other women? And I had to admit to myself that I could.

Then followed the alternating relief that yes, that's it, my life finally makes sense and the doubt that no, can't be, that would be far too simple, I'm just making it all up.

So I'm giving it time, living in an interim, without labels, observing, questioning...

And here's what I'm wondering at the moment: when people talk about attraction, what do they mean?

I'm noticing that when a man catches my eye, the feeling is sort of theoretical, there's something interesting about him but I couldn't say exactly what. I would like to get to know him but not necessarily physically. It's almost as if his body is somehow in the way of what I find interesting about him. When a woman catches my eye (now that I even comtemplate that, before I just didn't go there...!) I notice various physical details about her and I can imagine and sometimes almost feel what it would be like to touch her and I would want to. Sometimes it feels as if the physical attractiveness overrides any interest in her personality. Although that's just talking about people I don't know well. I love the catalyst woman for her personality too.

How would you describe your experience when you're attracted to someone? For instance when out of a room full of people your eyes pick out that one for some reason, any gender, do you call that attraction?

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is difficult to define exactly. Let me try an example:

Last night I was at a restaurant. There was a cashier/host that was in my sight line. I just couldn't keep my eyes off of him during the entire meal. I wasn't obvious in my staring (I hope!), but I found myself continually looking around for him.

I can point to specific things that I can say are the basis for my attraction to him, but even if not, the sheer evidence of desire to keep looking at him points to my attraction to him.

If I wasn't attracted to him, I wouldn't have been staring. It's really that simple for me.

3. usatanhani87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weird it's kind of that way with me. I usually need to get to know a guy better before I decide if I'm attracted to them, whereas with women the attraction is more immediate before I know whether I like them as a person.

4. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for the replies.

usagibryan - Interesting that you have a similar experience. I wonder what is it about women that is so immediately appealing. For me this is all just thoughts, though, I never act on the attractions in any meaningful way... way too shy.

I'm gay - the example really helps.
    This is probably different than what you describe but your example reminded me of it. I've had this thing happen with men often in the past where I would notice him or maybe notice him notice me and it was as if we were connected by an invisible thread or something, I was always aware where he is in the space where it was happening. Pretending not to notice him and act normal. It was mostly uncomfortable, made me nervous and like I couldn't quite be myself while I'm bound by the thread. Going up and talking to the man would have been difficult in that state. Is that what attraction feels like? Feels weird and unhealthy somehow.

Today I met the catalyst woman and while my feelings for her come and go, today they were definitely there. Although she makes me nervous a bit it feels quite different. Even for the rest of the day I felt quite gay until the evening when I go to a class and there's a young man who joined recently and for some mysterious reason I've got the above thing going on with him where I find it very hard to be myself. Like I need to somehow get his attention without really wanting to. Or do I want to? So confusing to sort out one's motivations...! For me it's not simple... or not yet anyway.

5. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Is that what attraction feels like? - sounds like normal opposite sex attraction to me

6. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With physical attraction I have noticed that my body tenses up around the person and I keep being drawn back to look at them, even if there are many other people in the room.

Sometimes, I think for me physical attraction to someone becomes much more noticeable and powerful and is more triggered if I am emotionally attracted to them - e.g. the person seems to "get" the same things, see the world through a lense I can relate to and they have an appealing sense of humour.

7. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With physical attraction I have noticed that my body tenses up around the person and I keep being drawn back to look at them, even if there are many other people in the room.

Sometimes, I think for me physical attraction to someone becomes much more noticeable and powerful and is more triggered if I am emotionally attracted to them - e.g. the person seems to "get" the same things, see the world through a lense I can relate to and they have an appealing sense of humour.

8. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's interesting that you ask this, because I've been thinking a lot about it too. I always wondered why I seemed to lack that "buzz" that people describe when they are sexually attracted to someone, but now I realize it's because I was looking for that with men, and it was the wrong place. Now I get the buzz daily around various women. It's intense and scary at times.

9. usatanhani87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I may just be more attracted to women or feminine features. Immediate attraction happens to me with guys too it's just less common.

10. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you everyone for your input!

So is it normal for attraction to feel basically unpleasant? A nervousness bordering on fear? Or maybe it's just me being weird. Or maybe it's to do with my general low self esteem and not sexuality... But I mostly feel like that around men. If a man shows an interest in me I want to hide. Subjectively, men feel 'dangerous' and women feel 'safe'. It could be because a woman has never shown any sexual interest in me so I lack the experience to properly compare... I married a man who was relatively safe and not pursuing me. I've always liked cross dressing women in fiction because they could relate to men and hide from them at the same time, the sexual element wasn't in the way. Anybody relate?

11. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Attraction makes me very nervous around someone, but also I get rushes of extreme happiness while interacting with them, like they are some amazing thing, which makes sense because your brain is releasing dopamine which makes you focused, enjoying, and excited. Nervousness just comes because you are afraid of rejection by the center of your focus. Work on trying to think about things that remind you that you don't need everyone to be in love with you, but also don't make yourself not enjoy the feeling of attraction. I have found that focusing on enjoying the feeling it gives me makes me more confident.

#11 Humbly Me, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  12. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I LOVE THIS! There is a woman who has been chatting me up a lot at my kid's school. I don't think she is gay, but I'm definitely crazy attracted to her. Like I get sweaty palms and heart palpitations and the whole nine yards. I'm trying to just go with the flow. There hasn't been a non-creepy way of mentioning that I'm gay, so I'm just trying to enjoy the feeling and not worry about any kind of outcome.

13. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Love this too!

Interesting discussion. For me, when I'm attracted to someone I can't talk to them. I'm a REALLY chatty person, so me getting tongue tied is a weird thing lol.

But as above, I get nervous, butterflies, sicky feeling in my tummy, dry mouth and ants in my pants!

I knew I was gay by handsome men (to my straight friends) just making me feel "meh, yeah he's nice". But women, GOD, the nerves, the happiness, the butterflies, the cant stop lookingggg at herrrr. Lol

14. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is how I've always felt too! But I went DECADES performing extreme mental gymnastics to avoid facing that it meant I was gay! Like, really, why did my brain not want to allow me to accept this?!

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2017 at 06:28 PM ----------

yes.

15. CyclingFan

So if it's a guy I find super attractive, I feel it all in the pit of my stomach and a general feeling of "I demand to know why that man is not on top of me, it's the only thing that makes sense" :wink:

Like one of the security guards at work. Woof.

16. John C89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do attraction make you feel out of control somehow? I've been trying to block my same-sex attraction, due to a very paradoxal mix of feelings: At the same time my genitals give me a hint they want a guy, when I look at them, despite the heart racing, I hate or don't feel the guy is beautiful 99.9% of the times (I don't find masculine features beautiful per se). So what explains this dissociation?? I'm very confused (sorry for asking for help here, I've thought the topic is related to what I've been thinking)

17. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's a good tip. I just sometimes find it hard to separate out any positive feelings at all. As if sometimes it's all adrenaline and no dopamine (not that I have a clue how they really work...!) I suppose nervousness could be positively translated as excitement, maybe?

Me too. But then there are other men that my straight friends don't find attractive but I notice. Wish it was simple...

I think I know what you mean but I don't know why it could be. It reminds me of a video I once saw about some sexuality research. The people in the experiment (identified with various sexual preferences) watched and listened to erotic stories (straight and gay) and the researchers measured their physical reactions and then had them self-evaluate how arousing they found it. I forget what they made of it but remember that in some people there was a difference between the physical reaction and the subjective evaluation.

I used to get the positive excitement and butterflies around some men in the past and then more recently around the trigger woman. Well, maybe I'm bisexual. But then it's still so different when it's just theoretical, just people watching and knowing nothing is going to happen than actually being in a situation when something could happen. Even with the trigger woman it's 'safe' because nothing can happen. Maybe I wouldn't like it if something was about to happen with a woman. But then why do I even have the thoughts and fantasies??

Also just watching people in the street, there's a difference in the way men look back in that sort of checking you out way which carries with it the sexual tension and for me the 'danger' or apprehension and some sort of need to submit to something, while women mostly don't look back or in a totally neutral way which feels safe and makes me feel like the more active party in the exchange. I really wonder what it would feel like being checked out by a woman... Must get out more!

I talked to someone recently about the questioning and the fact that she accepted and acknowledged it suddenly made it feel terribly real and not theoretical at all. It was mostly fear and thinking what am I doing? this is not me at all, these are just fantasies, I'm making it all up, even kissing a woman would be totally weird and I couldn't do it in reality.

So confusing. The fact that I have very little sexual experience doesn't help.

18. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just want to say, I'm with you on all this. Though in my case, I have gone through a real "flip of the switch" moment and now accept that I'm exclusively attracted to women, living in denial for decades can make things soooooooo confusing. Like, "how can I be gay?" I've only had one sexual partner in my life... the man I was with for the last 19 years. Before him, dating was a disaster, and now I understand why. Be kind to yourself as you work through these feelings. Therapy and allowing myself to just "be" without trying to control my feelings have been most helpful to me.

19. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    CyclingFan - your musing brings up my experience w bttms who … when I ask them why they like to service me, they say they "want to make me happy"… & to a lesser degree "they like to see me turned on".

My own fantasy was that they liked me, who I am … yet their responses indicate they're mostly turned on to the sexual act. Their response leaves me feeling queasy, uncomfortable. What this says is that sex can be such a strong turnon, that the partner is just a body w orfrices. This is the nature of hookups … & not a more intimate heartful connection.

20. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    RJay - thank you for the kind words. There are periods when I'm fine just letting it all be what it is and then others, like just now, when I go into the intense overthinking mode. Totally agree about therapy, the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Obvs. coming at it from a totally different perspective but I hear you on that one. That's my experience with some men (can't compare women, really) and it doesn't even have to be sexual - that for them I'm not me but more of an accessory.

And to continue my own ramblings...
    I’ve noticed something else – the link between the kinds of attraction and self-consciousness. What I described above with men (the weird tied with a string feeling) is basically extreme self-consciousness. It’s as if I suddenly start seeing myself from his (imagined) perspective and I can’t act naturally. It’s unpleasant because I’m not myself. I become who I imagine (probably totally wrongly) he wants me to be. And I can’t stop it. That’s why I said it seems unhealthy. Whereas some other times, like with the trigger woman and maybe one or two men, there’s nervousness but it’s me who’s experiencing it. I’m so involved in my feelings that I don’t think about what s/he sees. Well, not sure how it ties in with sexuality... now that I’ve typed it it sounds like some weird people pleasing issues or something...