1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovision 2016

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by eMei, May 12, 2016.

1. eMei

In case you haven't heard of it, The Eurovision Song Contest is a European music contest where each country sends an artist to represent them, competing in the semi finals to qualify for the grand final. The winner gets to take home the Eurovision crown and bring the contest to their country.

So the Eurovision semi finals have now finished. Twenty European countries have qualified to the final, with some fan favourites crashing out in the semi finals.

What do you think?! I'll share with you my favourite song from tonight which is from Norway. Shockingly it failed in the semi finals!

Did anybody else watch the semi finals, or is it just the final that you'll be watching?

(Eurovision is broadcast on Logo TV in the United States!)

[YOUTUBE]ACLcqZMwCSo[/YOUTUBE]

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still annoyed that Bosnia didn't get through on Tuesday... at least they were interesting.
    [Youtube]MFmLfeMzgrc[/youtube]

Most of the acts this year suck, they're all slow ballads that are completely boring and put you to sleep. In the UK I think we take Eurovision to be more of a joke than most countries (Sweden is really going all out this year, damn) so the final usually consists of drinking games and cheering if we get more than 3 points because we get that we're completely hated.

Also, what the hell is Australia still doing here?

3. eMei

Ooh I think this year is really strong! There are a fair amount of ballads but songs like Bulgaria stand out as a result of this, which is sweet.

Bosnia and Herzegovina were definitely faced with an injustice. It's especially sad because they will probably withdraw next year.

4. HerrinDesFeuers

I think Germany is going for the last place again. :grin:

5. Formality

I heard some of the songs today and I felt like most of the music is pretty terrible. However I did like the Bulgarian entry, cus it has that summery vibe. I also like the Beligian entry because of the disco baseline which was somewhat similar to Another One Bites The Dust by Queen. Her performance was pretty good as well, I liked her dance moves and she just seems like she has such a bubbly personality.

6. Embi

Embi Guest

I used to watch it but I don't do anymore. Not a fan of things like that. Besides it would maybe make more sense if every country used their own language (even though I hate german music). My mother told me that used to be the case when she was younger.

7. idcidc

It was kinda cool some years ago when I was little but yeah I don't care that much plus my country had possibly the worst song ever heard and it was the first time we didn't go to the final in 30 something years.my favourite song was qele qele,I think that's how u spell it

8. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    after 1974, nothing good has come from Eurovision XD.

its all political

9. timo

I'll be watching tomorrow - but mostly to make fun of it with friends. The music is mostly terrible and the whole vibe around it is just ugh

10. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    England will loose.. Europe hates us (and Australia)
    France could win I guess

---------- Post added 13th May 2016 at 08:46 PM ----------

Nothing good except TwinTwin XD

11. alextiago

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think Russia will win this year...its a really good song and very catchy or France, can win too ^^

12. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unlike other years there doesn't seem like there I one song that will definitely win, it's gonna be close this year. Russia, Australia and France all of high chances of winning. But Malta, Israel and Ukraine are fan favourites. I adore Bulgaria's this year!
    I can't wait for 8pm!! I absolutely adore Eurovision :grin:

13. Ryu

Ryu

I really wanted the netherlands to win.

Gotta say though, interesting guitars. Georgia had a jag and a hagstrom, the netherlands had a danelectro, one of JT's guitarists had an offset tele...

---------- Post added 14th May 2016 at 11:58 PM ----------

This is how most brits (including me) watch it. Which baffles me since we're in the 'big 5'.

But yeah, this year was just as crap as the others in my opinion, other than the netherlands who did pseudo country, which was alright.

#13 Ryu, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  14. rudysteiner

I only ever watch the finals if ever and have just been wondering what the fuck Israel and Australia are doing in the Eurovision Song Contest. Sergei, the Russian contestant, was quite hot, though, as was Måns, the male presenter.

15. eMei

Ukraine won this year! Very inspiration winner if you ask me: Jamala's performance was so personal and emotional it brought a tear to my eye.

[youtube]P11j3HQumzY[/youtube]

My personal favourite of the night was Azerbaijan.

[youtube]cB8eSLyffsI[/youtube]

16. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I found this year's Eurovison quite boring with very little novelty or even variety going on. There was even very little cultural diversity being displayed apart from perhaps with Ukraine. It made me very sad about the phenomena of Americanisation that is masquerading as globalisation in the modern day. Justin Timberlake came along just to hammer home the point. Someone mentioned watching it with mates just to laugh at it - well there was nothing funny going on this year - it wasn't even worth laughing at.

I appreciated the reappearance of Alexandr the violin boy, my favourite winner, and the sexual Polish milkmaids who I love haha. That interval performance was my highlight. I wish I could have voted for it.

I am glad Ukraine won mostly because I was so desperate for Australia not to win because they are not in Europe and really shouldn't have returned to the competition. I would like to see every continent having its own -vision and then a world vision tbh. Also, I appreciate them burning Russia with an intelligent political song. Well done Ukraine!

#16 SHACH, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  17. 741852963

I'd agree. There weren't many belters and zero stand-out crazy songs this year. Bulgaria's (Rita Ora lookalike) was reasonably catchy and at least she danced a bit). France wasn't bad.

I think my favourites was Armenia (Love Wave, 7th place) - incredibly strong vocal and I liked the aggressive delivery. I likes Latvia's too (Justs) which came 15th, quite modern.

I'm glad UK's bombed though, no effort in that. It was nice seeing all the Welsh flags flying though for the Welsh singer (after that temporary ban and Eurovision seriouslymisjudging it as being a "separatist movement"...when it is just a plain old country in Europe! ( Welsh flag IS allowed at Eurovision in U-turn on policy banning it - Wales Online)

Of course, what was all that about?

What does JT have to do with Eurovision? He is only there to try to reboot his career and promote his new single and film (both of which are dire).

It was very fun. Sweden had that similar comedic interlude when they last hosted too.

I didn't want Australia to win, they haven't worked at it for long enough to win yet!

Their song was pretty decent, but she could have done something other than sitting on the box pretending to be in Minority Report because reasons. At least move around the stage a bit love!

---------- Post added 15th May 2016 at 03:05 AM ----------

I've warmed to Måns after his previous homophobia, it is clear he has worked hard and moved away from all that.

He even was brave enough to have a dig at equality laws live on air:

#17 741852963, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  18. HunterRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm surprised there was so much love for Russia's song. It was quite lacklustre for me, it was a lot more style over substance to me.

I'm sad the UK's was so bad. I think that they might actually benefit from being included in the semis. It could bring back a competitive streak because the last few years have been dire. It's not like there's a lack of talent amongst British artists.

Ugh, I don't even know what Ireland's gonna try next year, we can't seem to nail a decent song. Although I think last year's one deserved better than it got.

The Ukranian win was well deserved, it was a great song and a very passionate performance. I loved that it came down to Russia and Ukraine and they Ukraine won given Russia tried to have the Ukranian song banned.

19. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How did England do so badly

20. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    We've no idea how to write a good Eurovision song, we've got the completely wrong idea of what will go down well in the rest of Europe and we never get good performers for said songs.

As such our songs tend to be insipid nonsense performed by anonymous charisma vacuums and we then get confused when Europe doesn't vote for them because that's exactly what they like right? We then blame political voting amongst the old Eastern Bloc countries for our failure and repeat the process the following year.

We don't take it seriously enough to send anyone good, but we're too proud to just take the piss and send an LT United style outfit.