1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some misconceptions people have about you?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Devil Dave, Oct 7, 2015.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone looking at my post count on this site might think that I am very chatty and some people in real life have formed the impression that I am a naturally talkative person because I deliver recruitment and training sessions and do a fair bit of media and public speaking. As a matter of fact, I'm not a talkative person at all and I'd much rather listen to people and chime in with the odd comment or question. I appreciate quiet time and silence too.

Just because I can, doesn't mean I am. :slight_smile:

2. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That I'm a bitch. I'm not a warm, talkative person & I guess it comes across as that. I don't actually have a problem with most people I know, I'm just not comfortable with them, because I'm naturally shy & quiet & my social anxiety holds me back even more. Most people I know assume I don't talk basically, so I get that "oh so you do talk o:" quite often. I guess I'm just not a likable person. Oh and of course, most people assume I'm straight.

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I am very overweight, people automatically assume that I eat massive meals. Because of this misconception, I feel super guilty if I dare treat myself to chocolate or cookies... I feel like they're quietly judging me, thinking, "No wonder she's so big"

How do I feel? Terrible, guilty, disgusting, hopeless, sad...

Another misconception people have about me is that I'm stuck up. I'm far from it. I'm just naturally introverted and shy and feel anxious if I have to talk to strangers. I try to appear less stuck up by smiling at people, or when I'm feeling particularly gutsy, striking up a brief conversation.

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2015 at 03:10 AM ----------

All of this too.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

That I'm straight.
    That I'm moody, because I don't talk all that much and when I'm thinking I apparently frown so that my face looks angry.

5. setnyx

Since I am very overweight, people automatically assume that I eat massive meals. Because of this misconception, I feel super guilty if I dare treat myself to chocolate or cookies... I feel like they're quietly judging me, thinking, "No wonder she's so big"

Another misconception people have about me is that I'm stuck up. I'm far from it. I'm just naturally introverted and shy and feel anxious if I have to talk to strangers. I try to appear less stuck up by smiling at people, or when I'm feeling particularly gutsy, striking up a brief conversation. this & people assume that i look old that i am old, i have grown up but peter pan is still in here. lol

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2015 at 06:03 AM ----------

Another misconception people have about me is that I'm stuck up. I'm far from it. I'm just naturally introverted and shy and feel anxious if I have to talk to strangers. I try to appear less stuck up by smiling at people, or when I'm feeling particularly gutsy, striking up a brief conversation................ This & people assume that i look old that i am old, i have grown up but peter pan is still in here.

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2015 at 06:07 AM ----------

sorry, i tried to quote just part of the first message then to edit message but i don't have a 'real' computer sooo epic fail.

6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had that treatment before. conversation doesn't always come naturally to me. I don't like talking in large groups, I prefer one to one conversation. Three can be a nice number if we all get along equally. But chances are I'm not going to do well in a group of 5 or more people - there are just too many opinions to consider and keep up with, and I can't entertain that many people at once.

It's my voice, I'll raise it when it suits me, not just to keep everyone else happy. :icon_bigg

7. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I experience so many misconceptions:

1. Assummed straight even when people know me a bit more. (I never correct them so that is my bad)
    2. Assumed to be unfriendly because of my bitch resting face
    3. Assumed to be a happy person because i make a lot of jokes (this is the shittiest one)

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *echoing the straight part :lol:

*I feel like people think I'm oozing with confidence. I can be quite loud, easily say my opinion and call people out on low key things and often do stuff that if other people did theyd embarass themselves etc which gives people that idea. But I'm insecure and get anxious over stupid stuff too...:$

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, a lot of people think I'm just perfectly innocent and nice all the time. I try to be, but that doesn't mean I am. My brain is a jerk, I guess you could say. Learned to keep the rude comments to myself, even when somebody is being a complete asshole to me. Somebody might be looking at me thinking about how harmless I am, while I might feel like pushing a bookcase onto them. I don't, of course.

Also, people where I live don't know how to react to individuality, they think that because I have purple hair and a unique fashion sense, that I must be in some sort of punk rock band. Another little misconception they have is that I immigrated from somewhere else, since I'm so different from them and don't speak with a heavy "southern" accent, or at all in my case. I speak rather properly in person, and they don't understand it. Especially when it comes to "big words" like nuclear fission. (AKA: basic science and proper English)

And as others have said, it's so annoying when people just assume I'm straight. Like, I don't assume you're into spicy food and put jalapenos all in it. :lol:

There I go ranting again, whoops!

10. PerfectLie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is exactly like me! :slight_smile:

One about me is a lot of people just assume I'm quiet and don't want to talk to them, but in reality if they talked to me and got to know me they would see otherwise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When people hear my name they tend assume I'm going to be posh. So it can be a bit of a surprise when people actually meet me in person. :lol:

Also based on the name, people think that my parents are hippies.

They also think I'm mean or constantly sad/aggressive because of my facial expressions.

Oh and that I must be plotting world domination or something because I'm quiet. :grin:

12. spoke ears

I'm shy and I don't like to talk especially to people who I don't know. I had several co workers complained to other co workers because they thought I didn't like them because I didn't talk to them. I just started working at the job and I just meet these people so I wasn't comfortable talking to them.

Another thing is all the assumptions about me because I'm afab. I could make a long list of all the assumptions that I had heard over my lifetime. This is one of my biggest pet peeves and also it is rarely accurate.

13. DeadheadPride

A lot of people think I'm Canadian, which I'm not. I am a Coloradoan and American.

A lot of people at school think I'm gay, because I wear a rainbow ring, which I'm not. I am bisexual, and wear a rainbow ring because I view it as a symbol of unity for the entirety of the LGBTQ+ community, rather than just gay people.

And everyone on my hockey team thinks I'm straight, because of the whole 'Straight until proven gay' thing, and because I don't wear any rainbow anything there, because of any sexuality other than heterosexuality being criminalized by the players, (the coaches haven't said anything homophobic at all, but I can feel it, as they don't usually object to anything homophobic) and because of the phrases "Faggot" "Fag" and "That's gay" getting thrown around too much.

People also think that I'm outgoing and nice and just good to be around, when I actually view myself as a big hub of negativity, introversion, and awkwardness. People think "He's always with friends and people, he must be so cool and extroverted!" (and to be fair, I am usually with friends. Awkwardly being silent and standing there with friends, but still with them, nonetheless) and people think that when they meet me, I will introduce happiness and joy and wonder into their lives, where in actuality, I really don't seem to do anything except inject sadness and drama and awkwardness into peoples lives. Whenever I'm around anyone, there's awkward silences, and no one talks, and I just feel the 'Happiness level' in the group plummet. When I tell people this, they get offended, and I start drama, and everything just falls apart. I hate it.

I hate misconceptions.

14. tourettesqueen

When people first meet me, that think I am sweet and innocent cause I'm tiny and blond.
    They also think I'm straight.

15. Natasha Elyssa

That I'm a gay man because I have long hair. Or that I'm a really nasty word for a gay person for not being a desperate follower of trends and whats "cool" and stuff like that. I guess people also seem to think that I'm a pervert/ pedophile for wearing vintage-style glasses or that I'm mean or distant or something like that. Etc. Keep in mind that my community still uses gay as an insult, and I'm just quoting them without quoting them. :wink: <3

#35 Natasha Elyssa, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. That I'm some sort of genius (people who barely know me ask me questions about their homework, saying, "You're smart, so you should know!" which is really weird unless maybe they saw my grades somehow)
    2. That I don't want/have friends (because I like to work by myself on projects rather than joining a group)
    3. That I'm very innocent and naive (probably because I'm shy...?)
    4. That I'm straight (because everyone assumes that)
    5. That I'm very feminine (because my mom makes me wear girly stuff a lot)
    6. That I can't speak (because I'm so quiet that most people never hear me talk; I avoid talking to people because I'm bad at conversations and don't want to embarrass myself)
    7. That I am coldhearted and incapable of love (my mom thinks this, but a few other people do too, since I'm so distant)
    8. That I have OCD (I think I have autism [like, Asperger's], so that's probably what they're mistaking it for, I think...)

#36 YuriBunny, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  17. Jalo

Jalo Guest

They think I'm FtM.

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get people thinking I'm smart as well. I've heard "but I thought you were smart, why are you in this class?" quite a few times despite my grades being terrible. It's important to note that a person is not defined by the number or grade they get, but for who they are. :slight_smile:

#38 Canterpiece, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  19. leslionel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

What this individual said.

Also people think that because I'm on jobseekers allowance that I'm a scrounger. I feel I can't buy alcohol/treat myself to things because when around certain people they're all "Hey, you like that glass of wine I bought for you with my TAXES??"

20. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People think I am tough, inflexible and apathetic when they first meet me. In realty, I am very empathetic, fair, flexible and open minded; and as people get to know me, these traits become obvious.