1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regrettable Purchases

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Jun 19, 2015.

1. AlamoCity

What is "faux-cashmere" anyway?

Very soft merino wool? Synthetic blend? Poly-merino-cashmere-angora-camel blend? :lol:

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. That's happened a couple times...more lately was a thing of dishes that I didn't need and a cheap version of the swiffer mop that ended up breaking after using it two times and I had to pay to get the real one in the end

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    $50 haircut. Never again.

4. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

boy clothes but some how all of the clothes was the wrong sizes I waste 79 bucks not feeling happy

5. Eric

$20 for a wallet is expensive...? That seems like the ballpark figure for a lower end wallet. Maybe I'm just weird.

6. AlamoCity

I paid about $25 for mine but I got it at an end-of-year discount from Ralph Lauren. It's a nice, classic chocolate leather billfold. One thing that helps avoid many regrettable purchases (that sometimes happen when you try to cut corners and end up paying more for less quality) is to stick to brand names, but shop during sales. Middle-of-the-pack brands like Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers can give you quality products that will last a long time, but not have to fork an arm and a leg for "top quality" (e.g. Ferragamo) where the marginal difference in utility is minimal.

7. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Plane tickets
    A ticket to Rome, then a ticket to Madrid, then a ticket to Berlin, then a ticket to Helsinki. And another ticket to Berlin because I missed a flight
    Worst trip ever.

8. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A handbag, technically mum bought it though. I bought one myself and then mum bought one for me for Christmas, which was a couple of months away. I get it at christmas and realize it is shit ugly and wasn't worth $30.

It still just sitting in my cupboard.

9. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A handbag, technically mum bought it though. I bought one myself and then mum bought one for me for Christmas, which was a couple of months away. I get it at christmas and realize it is shit ugly and wasn't worth $30.

It still just sitting in my cupboard.

10. CrazyAwkward

Pretty much everything I've ever bought in the middle of the night when I'm having trouble sleeping. Which is clothing most of the time. I shouldn't be allowed to shop or make any decisions after 1am.

11. Fred89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is there a point in getting a passport if you never intend to travel?

12. Jellal

I wish I never bought Pokemon White 2.

I pretty much hated everything about the game besides the music.

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, he does live relatively close to an international border, and is seeing someone that, at least technically, is from another country.

More directly to your question, yes. Passports can almost universally be used in place of a birth certificate. The way my state has things set up, my birth certificate permanently has the wrong gender on it. However, I will be able to get my passport fixed with just a few visits to a gender issues counselor.

14. Joelouis

A cheap 'n nasty DVD player that lasted a couple of months before buggering up.
    I taught it a lesson by stamping on it.

Ok, it didn't work after that but I didn't half feel good smashing it up.

Satnavs and other devices have gone the same way in the past.

15. tscott

I was shopping with some friends who thought my under wear needed to be jazzed up a bit. I always wear boxer usually white, blue, or pink Oxford cloth. I never had knit boxers before. I got talked into red and white awning stripes and a small red and blue buffalo plaid. They were cotton. They were $40.00 a pair. They don't feel as comfortable my regular boxers, and feel really warm. They've less time on me than anything I've ever owned. They were supposed to make me feel sexy. They don't.

#35 tscott, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  16. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently I started a new job that involves along periods of time on my feet. Coming from a job that had similar periods of walking/standing, I've learned the importance of good footwear for such requirements. At my last job I'd go through about three pair of sneakers (mid-line priced Nikes from a local department store that offers discounts and has good sales) per year, which got pricey and I couldn't always make it into town for the sales. So I decided to do some research.

I found, through my studies (I'm a fanatical researcher, you see) that the top choice for professionals in kitchen-service footwear are these horrendously hideous, yet supremely supportive clogs:

[​IMG]

I broke my own rule of never buying things I wear online, for what seemed to me a very good reason; living in the middle of nowhere and not being able to try them on in a proper store. I knew that was my first mistake. The sizing is different from most shoes, because they are hand stapled to the base of the shoe. I converted my shoe size to European as per the instructions on the site, and ordered.

Upon arrival the shoes were snug, but that's how I fit my sneakers from the get-go. These are designed to fit loosely, which I did not know going in. I exchanged them for a larger size, which fits as designed but is still uncomfortable compared to what I'm used to. The shoes have insanely high arches and add two extra inches to my height, making them cumbersome for someone who is already 6 feet tall.

I filled them with water bags and froze them overnight in a semi-successful attempt to stretch the leather. I'm praying to the retail Gods above that they completely break-in sometime soon. Otherwise I've wasted $125 on shoes. :dry:

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...a 1996 Volvo 850, with 40k miles. I've never, ever owned a car that had so many problems, from two-failed transmissions to engine troubles to the rear-main-seal to leaking coolant...how Volvo got their image as reliable I'll never know. Fun cars to drive, to be sure, but anyone I've ever known has had theirs in the shop much of the time. And when ever anything goes, it's always $500 to fix. So never, ever again, despite that I find them very sturdy, they are for wealthier people.

18. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't recall what I paid for the stupid thing, but I have a huge dual deck cd recorder that I bought from amazon quite a few years ago. it was great when I first bought it, but maybe 9 or 10 months later I bought my first laptop and suddenly it became useless.

19. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm usually good at buying games I'll enjoy playing. But I hated the following games:

Dragon Age II. Mass Effect 2. Fallout 3.

20. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any number of articles of clothing. Including shoes, of course. And although we've wound up with a very nice and effective collection of sex toys *sigh*, we didn't build that omelet without breaking a few eggs...um, so to speak. Yeah. Some unfortunate purchases along those lines. 'Nuff said.

Oh, and some music purchases that were just huge mistakes. Some were experimental failures, and a very small number we actually thought we'd like, but hated. In fact, we have devised an unorthodox use for our most despised albums. We still actually use a small number of cassette tapes, and we needed a small rack for them. We had a tiny (30 CD) rack from way back...so we inserted the crappy CD's into this rack to make 2 shelves the height of a cassette tape. Voila! Instant cassette rack, and instant value for otherwise worthless CD's! (On the down-side, this means we still have them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)