1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative or Liberal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LesbianThrasher, Jun 13, 2015.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not true at all. Even outside of Kansas, in 2001 and 2003, Bush and the Republicans thought massive tax cuts for the wealthy would spur the economy out of its post-9/11 slump. What happened instead was two wars being put on a credit card, and a budget surplus disappearing instantly.

And then in Kansas, Sam Brownback and his ideologically pure Republicans in the legislature launched their "Right-wing economic experiment that will make Kansas the most prosperous state in the country." They slashed tax rates, shifted the tax burden down to the lower incomes, and hiked the sales tax. They also exempted most businesses from any state income tax at all. What's happened? The state's credit rating keeps getting downgraded, their economy is in the toilet, they have a budget shortfall nearing $1 billion, and Brownback and the Republicans are still parroting the tired old conservative talking point, "It's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem!"

This coming after schools across Kansas had to let out for summer break 5 weeks early after running out of funding, and the state can't afford to repair roads. When the job losses kept coming, they kept cutting taxes, saying that it was "A shot of adrenaline in the heart of the Kansas economy!" Saying that cutting taxes raises revenue is like saying that if you quit your $100,000/year job and then go to work at McDonald's that your income will increase.

Now you'd think that with the mess the state is in, even to the point where the state was auctioning off sex toys to try and make up some of the difference, that they would consider reversing some of the cuts. No such luck. Brownback says he'll veto any tax hike, and instead says the legislature should cut $394 million out of higher education.

Tax cuts lead to deficits. When you reduce the amount you're bringing in, that doesn't raise the amount you're bringing in. It's a logical fallacy. That's why I'm a Democrat.

2. homoecstasy

homoecstasy Guest

Remove the pretentiousness of your tone and your petty personal attacks and this drivel may become halfway tolerable to read. This is exactly why I don't like discussing politics. Some people just don't know how to keep it in the ring.

#62 homoecstasy, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  3. guitar

Somewhere in the middle. The left bugs me just as much as the right does depending on the issue. For simplicity I'll say socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I'm all for public health and schooling, but I want bang for my tax buck.

4. choirsmash

I registered as an independent because I have liberal views and conservative views. They're kind of equal in number, so I figured I wasn't gonna just pick one over the other. I don't care if I can't vote in primaries, I'll vote for the candidate I think is best when it comes to the actual election. I made a list of my liberal views when I was proving to a friend that marriage equality was not my only liberal view. Basically everything that isn't on this list is conservative for me.
    Economy, education, global climate change, marriage equality, healthcare (but NOT obamacare), homeland security, taxes, United Nations, and war <I have liberal views on all of these things

5. tscott

I would say that I'm moderate Republican...this is a political animal the seems to no longer exist. The children and the asshats have hijacked the party. I would say that I am leaning more to the left, however, I cannot bring myself to vote for Hillary, who I believe is a most self-serving pol who is just as much in the pockets of big business as any Republican. I'd sooner vote for Bernie, because he appears to be honest and sincere in his stances.

6. Psaurus918

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not entirely up on all these political terms, but once at school we were arguing about water privatisation (economy and human rights) and I said my opinion, and the teacher said I was taking a more conservative stance on the issue than most in the class as I don't think the government should have too much to do with the economy. My parents, however; have said I was very liberal because I believe in abortion, euthanasia, legal marijuana, etc. I know I'm very conservative when it comes to immigration.

Therefore I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

8. apollobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would describe myself as economically - center and others - liberal.

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This moderate libertarian agrees with you. :slight_smile: If Rand Paul hadn't spouted off several homophobic rants, he would probably have my vote locked up. I don't hold it against anyone for being Republican(hell, I was in the party in the early 2000's before I realized the truth on Iraq&war), but I can't pull the trigger for a bigot.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2015 at 02:21 PM ----------

It all depends on what issues are important to you. There's also foreign issues too. Plus, there's also the issue over there of EU involvement.

10. The Wallflower

I hate politics.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I reject the view that economic issues are more important than social issues. I never have and never will vote on economic issues as long as social issues are left unresolved, because that would be fundamentally incorrect to do. If a party wants people treated differently based on classifications, then no matter how good their proposed economic system is, it won't benefit in equal measure the people they have animus against. If and only if a party treats people the same do I think it's acceptable to consider economic issues.

To take a quick example, let's suppose that Republicans have a better macroeconomic policy for creating jobs. (I'm not convinced that they do, but stay with me for a second.) It would still be immoral to vote for a Republican supporting that policy who also opposes expanding employment nondiscrimination law to LGBT people. Sure, they might create jobs, but they are still supporting an unfair system, and they do not deserve my or anyone else's vote, despite the strength of their policy.

#71 Pret Allez, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015