1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative or Liberal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LesbianThrasher, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a fan of either political party here in the US, not much of a big fan of politics in general.

I'm ok with taxes as long as the money is being spent properly. I would like to see a smaller wage gap between the lowest wage employee in a company and the CEO. I think that people should have the right to bear arms as long as they have received the proper training. I would like the US to switch over to low impact energy sources sooner rather than later. I am a big fan of public transit.

It depends on the issue. I would say that I am an independent.

Side note, I was in Barnes and Noble and I saw this guide for conservatives on what opinions to hold on certain topics. I can not believe something like that exists. People should come to their own conclusions. I don't care what those conclusions are, as long as one doesn't just blindly accept the ideas of another person or group of people as their own.

2. homoecstasy

homoecstasy Guest

I'm politically cynical. I'm from the US and for the most part I'm against them all. When I vote, its always to vote someone out, not vote them in. I loathe the political correctness, the international bumbling and the pussified (can I say that? if not I apologize, please delete my post) nature of the liberal left. If they have their way long enough some other country will probably eventually invade and take over this one. I also have strong disdain for the ultra conservative right who are generally too quick to go to war and too slow to think things over. I also don't like the fact that they are in the back pocket of large oil and corporations. In general I think politics is hopelessly corroded and I usually try to avoid getting into political discussions with anyone.

#42 homoecstasy, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I vote Democrat because my social values are liberal, not because I necessarily love the Democrats. It just seems to me that the Republicans are more narrow-minded. By far. Dubya: worst president EVER.

4. homoecstasy

homoecstasy Guest

W = A bumbling idiot from the far right.

Obama = A bumbling idiot x 100 from the extreme left.

They both SUCK. I would argue that the latter sucks far more in his extreme incompetence and inability to lead a country.

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Actually, I have the limitation of being educated and having an actual background on how to interpret how policy translates into action. I also have the grievous handicap of being able to read an understand a legislative bill. This really puts me very much out-of-touch with people who tend to rely on the media, be it mainstream media or cranky small-timers who trade on pretending they are more "different than they actually are. Excuse me, then, if my views sound a little strange to you, coming from your relatively uneducated, inferior, small-minded standpoint. Being the hopelessly pompous, smug, authentically superior ass that I am, the communication gap between us might be unbridgeable.

But Barack Obama, as far as his own actual policies, have been pretty excellent, and he has been more effective than anyone would have predicted in dealing with a hostile Congress. Obama's policy on Ukraine helped dampen the spread of political tensions, which otherwise could very well have erupted into deeper hostilities. He has also done as well as anyone could expect regarding a problematical situation in the Middle East, which hasn't been helped by the fact that Congress came out against him intervening in Syria militarily before ISIL could take such a strong foothold. Quite frankly, the majority of people who respond to that by saying, "Well, why didn't he exercise LEADERSHIP and blah-blah-blah" would have reacted, if he had actually done that, by declaring him to be a despot, and there would be even more trouble out of the damn fucking Texans than there already is. Also, I have actually read the text of the PPACA, and it's a pretty damn good law.

I really get sick of people who just take it for granted that everyone must surely see that Obama is this terrible, horrible, ineffective lefty twink and so on based on the stupid shit they read in the media. When people mouth off with this high-and-mighty air, it fills my veins with violence and loathing, making me want to exhale a monster cloud of mustard gas on the ignorant populace. You will find that many highly educated people disagree with you, for various reasons.

You will also find that many highly educated people superficially agree with your views, but the difference between them and your shit is that they provide substance in expressing their views, whereas you don't.

You see, the one thing that I really hate is willful ignorance. Conservatives just seem to do it more habitually than liberals do, and I find libertarians to be know-it-all jerks who think they're intellectually superior because they read ONE SINGLE BOOK or a narrow body of activist literature, and they think they're economists. Not all are like this, but loonies like the Hayek cult or the Mises Institute followers are nasty individuals.

#45 Christiaan, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm your average rank-and-file progressive Democrat. I fit in with the Democratic establishment, and I'm voting for Hillary Clinton. I've always said that I'm more anti-Republican and even more anti-conservative than anything. After watching politics these past several years, my observation has been that conservatism is a lack of critical thinking.

"You can increase tax revenue by decreasing tax revenue! Gays are an abomination! If you were raped and got pregnant, you shouldn't be able to have an abortion because God intended for you to be raped! Abortion should be illegal because pregnancy is a woman's punishment for having sex outside of marriage! If we cut taxes for the rich and hike taxes on the poor, a bunch of jobs will magically fall from the sky!"

This is why it's so important to get a good education.

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Green Party :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Fixed that for you.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]QvdB6EG844o[/YOUTUBE]

10. lemons123

Liberal of course...

11. Eiji

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You and me both.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's funny now, but he did a great job when it came to foreign affairs. I disagree with him on most everything else, but there's not another president after 1970 that I can say that about.

13. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all I'm not really gonna let lgbt issues influence my political views at all. There are so many issues out there more important than gay marriage. It's a label. When inner city kids stop starving on the streets, and troops stop getting killed in wars we shouldn't be in, and our country doesn't owe people 18 trillion bucks... then maybe I'll base my vote on the "lgbt issues". Single issue voters are the most selfish, irresponsible people in a democratic society.

Anyways I digress. As for my political views, for a long time I would've said conservative leaning. Lately thats changing as I realize what it's like to be an adult and work a blue collar job. Slowly but surely turning into a democrat, though I can't say I'll ever go full bleeding-heart and I'm also not a fan of president Obama.

14. Ryu

Ryu

On paper I'd want a Lib Dem-Labour coalition, but in practice it wouldn't really work.

I'm English so I am incompetent in the ways of American politics.

15. Sienrar

Neither. Both of them have values that are good and some have values that are bad. Just make the most logical decision about everything.

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I lean more toward liberal, but I agree that political correctness and parts of social justice are garbage. People through around "homophobia/transphobia/misogyny" way too much over such minor things.

17. Formality

I don't like labeling my political stance because calling myself "this" or "that" only creates a militant playing field where one extreme fights another extreme. I prefer staying in the middle and not conforming to any ideology or party completely. Too many times I see people follow an ideology or party blindly without actually knowing what they "believe". Many so engulfed in their circuit of conformists only surrounded by one unison view to the point that they cannot look at things critically.

I believe that for a democracy to work everyone need to be involved in politics, learn to listen to each other and be far more critical of media and politicians and stop conforming. Far too often I see people or opinion get censored, ignored or persecuted because others seem to think their opinion is better therefore they have the right to silence others.

On that note; It's actually ridiculous how many times the Swedish media use buzzwords such as "anti-democratic" to silence dissidents. The worst thing about it is how gullible the populus is to this, to me, highly conspicuous mass indoctrination. Honestly it's ridiculous how close to Orwells 1984 some people will come without actually realizing it. But I digress.

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does that include illegally selling arms to Iran?

19. Fixed that for you :icon_wink Technically, it makes some sense. However, it does depend on what state it is. If it's in a state like Kansas and South Dakota where the only jobs you could get is selling corn, then of course it's not going to work out.

When you lower taxes in states like California and New York, where there are tons of people moving there in the first place, even more people will definitely move there and increase the number of taxpayers, which could increase tax revenue. I know some family and friends who left California for Washington and Florida because of high taxes, so there goes some tax revenue.

Also, if the government takes in less money, then it becomes slightly more hands-off of the public. There are many benefits to that, but that's a topic for a different thread.

#59 anthonythegamer, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  20. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I usually say "progressive," but that's an issue of to-may-to or to-mah-to.