1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDude, Mar 15, 2015.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I've got this, but to marijuana, not tobacco. Was walking in New York, and there were many people there who smelled of it. There was one guy who passed me while smoking it, I started gasping and choking in public... Was not fun.

2. eyar4rowel

I used to be addicted to smoke itself. Like doing blowing tricks out of it. But I need my voice so I stopped. :slight_smile: I hate seeing people smoking just 'cause they think it's cool.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a fucking disgusting habit. (Not that the people who smoke are disgusting; it's the habit itself.) It is an absolute deal killer as far as dating for me, and it's a near deal killer for friends. I have very, very, very few friends who smoke, and the ones I do have, I generally don't spend much time with.

Also here are some rather sobering thoughts for those of you who only smoke occasionally and can "quit any time they want to":

A study was published some years ago in Nature magazine (British equivalent of the Journal of the American Medical Association) looking at smoking among teens. Large study, some 5,000 teens. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the most interesting part went something like this:

Teens who smoked once a month or less were asked if they intended to become regular smokers. 3/4 of them said no.

Of that 3/4 who said no, over 80% were pack-a-day smokers 3 years later. They asked that 80% if they intended to continue smoking, or planned to quit. About 70% said they planned to quit within the next 90 days.

3 years after that... of those who said they planned to quit... about 3/4 were still pack-a-day smokers.

Overall, some 90% of those who smoke on any kind of regular basis (as infrequently as once a month) will, according to statistics, become addicted smokers. You can kid yourself and convince yourself that you'll be in the 10%, but chances are, you won't be, because you're fighting a losing battle. The tobacco companies have spent billions of dollars engineering a product designed to be as addictive as possible, and you basically don't have a chance against all of their knowledge and engineering.

So... between the disgusting nature of the habit, the health issues, the near certainty of addiction... it's really hard to argue why there is any sensible reason whatsoever to smoke.

4. KaydenWidz

i am a smoker and i hate it. Takes all my money, i cough constantly (or at least close). I always tell my non-smoking friends, when they think about it not to. Not even socially. thats how I started. And that was when i was 16. I hate smoking

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a problem with smokers (cigarettes, hookah, marijuana, whatever). It's a personal choice. I chose to quit smoking in August last year. :grin:

6. MrBrightside

I was smoking 20 a day until 4 days ago, and ive just gone cold turkey. Smoking for me is a good way of relieving stress, it keeps me calm and in the past its kept my anxiety in check.

Last time i quit properly was in december when i went 38 days without smoking, before i go dumped by a guy and immediately went back to 20 a day.

I actually enjoy smoking, smokers are even a turn on to me alot of the time. Only reasons im quitting is because my boyfriend absolutely hates it, and my health is getting affected by it again. My throat is sore alot of the time, and my chest and lungs are getting bad.

I would never encourage anyone to smoke, but i would say that you should understand a smoker before you condemn them, theres always a story behind why they smoke and most smokers i know would rather not smoke, but are kept in the cycle of addiction by other factors than the addiction itself.

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been clean for a bit less than four years. I consider the decision to quit smoking to be the best decision in my life.

Previously I smoked for many years, and for several years before quitting I was two packs a day guy. It was pretty disgusting and very damaging to my health.

Because of my past, I don't have anything against smokers, but if they start puffing around me, I get instinctively worried that I might start again. When that happens I tend to evaporate quickly from the scene.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Smoking what exactly?

Cigarettes... I don't smoke, never have tried it, and doubt I ever will. If someone else smokes, it's their problem, and I don't really care, unless I'm forced to breathe it in. I don't think I'd date someone who smokes because I want someone in it for the long haul. Smoking puts you at a greater risk for an earlier death.

9. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I smoke at times, it helps me relax. I totally don't mind people who smoke, it's their decision. Neither my dad nor mom smokes, btw.

10. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I care that my sister, dad, and most of his family smoke because of health reasons, but if you want to smoke go ahead. However, I do think it's very unattractive and most likely would never date a person who smokes.

11. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

I know it's bad but I do it anyway, though I'd really like to quit before I graduate college.

12. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe it's just my self destructive side speaking, but I really have no problem with smoking, so long as it doesn't take over your life and you have the money to afford it.
    I have a few friends who are social smokers, and I've never felt a desire to stop talking to them because they smoke.
    To be honest, I find it odd that people could seriously break friends with someone because they've decided to mess up their own body.
    So long as they don't smoke around me, I don't really mind. (I'm asthmatic, so I ask them not to smoke around me)

13. Delirious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I think people say so many things about smoking and drugs but handle other problems that are actually the same with total ignorance.Alcohol for example.I don't care if people do it or not it's just frustrating how differently those equal things are handled.

Oh and that one time they raised the taxes for cigaretts and people stopped smoking because it was too expensive and then lowering them again because they missed the money (but still saying smoking is bad)i mean if that's how they make politics they could have raised the taxes again and more people would have stopped.

15. MisterTinkles

It is gross, disgusting, and nasty. I am allergic to the chemicals they put into cigarettes, and the smoke stinks up everything it gets near. This goes for weed too.

I've had relatives that smoke, and fall asleep with a lit cigarette and almost burned themselves alive, as well as everybody else in the house.

My sister smokes, and I cant be around her when she does.

I do have one friend who is a very polite smoker, and I don't mind her smoking around me, because she is very aware of other people when she does. I could be standing next to her smoking, and never smell anything. Although I don't like her smoking at all.

Cigars on the other hand, do not have all the chemicals and toxins in them, that cigarettes do. The smoke from (good) cigars smells nice to me, and it doesn't make me sick or set off my allergies. Pipe tobacco smells nice too.

I am not a smoker, but they have mini cigars out on the market, and I might smoke one or two of those a year.......only because it's the only thing that will get the crap in my lungs loosened up enough for me to get rid of.

Other than that..........can't stand the stuff.

Rude smokers piss me off to no end. I wish smoking was outlawed in ALL public places, which includes inside your car when you are on public roads! I will be having a decent day, driving with my windows down.....come to a red light and the car that pulls up next to me will have the windows down, and plumes of cigarette smoke will be coming into my car from the asshole driving it. Fuck up my day.

If it was something that just destroyed you when you do it..........I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. But when a smoker pollutes MY air, MY personal space, and MY health.......THEN, you have made it MY problem.....and I sure as hell DO NOT need any more problems!!!!!

#35 MisterTinkles, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  16. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Smoking is extremely ignorant unless you have no issues with ruining your health.

I just don't get why anyone would do it.. It's so strange to me.

The act of smoking itself is stupid, I think, but I can still like a person who does it.

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My avatar says it all.

On the other hand I admit I tend to abuse it. At times (ten years ago maybe) I was smoking 3 pack/day. Other times I had just 20 cigs/week.

I'm doing fine these days, and I don't intend to quit for anything or anyone, specially anyone. Smoking...It's a part of my life, of who I am. I've been smoking since +15 years, and I don't regret it.

I can't stand anti smokers preaching. If you don't like it, that's ok, but leave others be, specially since others are not only respecting you, but trying to "protect you" of the evil smoke. We don't preach you about your choice. And it's kind of funny you are preaching about health when you are not only overweight, but also eating junk and not doing any exercise, mr. healthy advocate...

I might go back to Pipe smoking at some point, it was a fine thing, and it smelled nice.
    E cigs are okay, but there is nothing like the real thing.

18. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I don't like it and I don't want to date a woman who smokes.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering I had an uncle die (a lifelong smoker) from lung cancer, and I studied medicinal chemistry, I think smoking is very dangerous and reckless. I also have pretty bad allergies, so any smoke residue is really irritating, and sometimes I feel holding my breath is better.

---------- Post added 16th Mar 2015 at 12:29 PM ----------

Also this is what happens when you quit:

[​IMG]

20. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dont start. Find another crutch.