1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 16 year old son is gay - I'm afraid.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Isupportmyson, Jan 20, 2015.

1. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is very emotional experience, and it can be very difficult to gain the courage to do. I would wait for him to tell you and not rush him. He is probably still coming to terms with it himself. Just make a point of mentioning your support for the LGBT community now and again and make sure he and his brother know that you will love them no matter what.

2. Isupportmyson

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you to everyone for your very thoughtful and caring responses. I decided to go with the people who suggested that they had wished that their parents had come to them with their suspicions and asked them out right if they were gay.

So, this evening my husband and I sat down with our son, reminded him again of how much we loved him, we're proud of him, and that there was nothing about him that would shock us. I explained to him what "mothers intuition" was, and just asked him if he was gay. He looked slightly shocked, but said yes. I immediately collapsed on him hugging and crying and telling him how proud of him I am, how proud I am that he knows who he is, and how much I love him! I could see the tension melt from him, the relief.

I didn't want to bombard him with questions (although I have many!) but he did tell me that he's only told his best girl friend, and his best boy friend and they've both been good with it. He admitted that it's been a difficult time for him these past few years ( and I've noticed HUGE changes in his mood) We have a lot of depression in our family, so I asked him if he might be depressed, and he wasn't sure. He said he was definitely stressed. We decided we will give it a little bit of time, because now that we know, the stress may be relieved quite a bit. But I would be more than happy to take him to a doctor if he thinks stress is going to be an ongoing problem, and perhaps counselling as well - he was fine with that.

He has not told his brother, but I encouraged him to for the extra support - but that also it was completely up to him. Also, I will not tell any other family members until he gives me the green light.

I felt it went well. Before he left the room, he hugged me again and thanked me.

I can tell he's not happy though, but I know he is sorting through so much in his head. I just hope he feels comfortable coming to me.

I will continue to update, but just know how HELPFUL this site and all of you have been. xo

3. White Knight

I wish all LGBT stories develop like yours.

He is both a teenager and gay... so usual teenager problems doubled. What you did is best I think. In life knowing you have someone no matter what is a great relief.

Leaving things related to coming out to him is great. This will give him feeling of control which he probably felt lacking in past few years.

Thanks for being a great mother and human. (*hug*)

4. Clay

That was a great development! :slight_smile:

Just want to mention, this "recently out" stage can be a strange one for some people. He might not mention it again, but you might be waiting for him to mention it, so it could lead to this stage where he thinks you're "ignoring" it. Given your close relationship I doubt that'll happen, but just a heads up in case it does.

5. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so glad things are working out so well within your family. :slight_smile:
    Expanding on what Clay said, even though my mom could not have been supportive when I came out, I was still a bit uncomfortable and I didn't want to talk about it again for quite a while. I even had moments I wish I had kept it to myself, because coming out meant there was no more room for denial. Even though denial was its own kind of torture, it was also its own comfort zone. (If that makes sense at all!)

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm really glad to hear you took the initiative and got this out in the open. Whether he appreciates it now or not, he certainly will years later when this is all water under the bridge rather than a constant fear. Give him some time and plenty of support (without bringing up the topic every time you talk to him) and he'll be happy soon enough. :slight_smile:

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay, I love happy stories~! ^.^♥

8. Minnie

Well, in a way, there isn't a /need/ to tell someone what your sexual orientation is, so he might not see the need to announce it to people - if he were straight, would you expect him to come out as straight? It may be possible he's suspicious that you know and feels under pressure to say so. I'd imagine that if he's got his orientation on Faecbook then he's not ashamed of or uncomfortable with it. If he has any problems with it, wait for the signs rather than ask him about it a lot; similarly, you don't want to keep telling him that being gay is fine etc, not because there's anything wrong with it (which there isn't), but because it's a bit of a constant intervention into an (intimate?) aspect of his personality and it could start to annoy him.
    Anyhoo, I guess there are a couple of ways you can approach this. You can ask straight out if he likes guys. Or you can wait for him to tell you (I guess really that's the best thing since it's his sexuality and his choice when, if at all, to tell). Just show indirectly that you're not against homosexuality, eg by smiling if you see on the news that gay marriage has been passed, or watching a TV show about LGBT people, etc etc. Hope I've got that across right!

9. ^^^ This.

Remember, it's his life, and his sexuality is as much or as little of his identity as he wants to make it. It may be a big thing for a while, then become a smaller part of him

Even though you probably have a million and one questions yourself, best to tread carefully (at least for the next few months) and let him re-establish the boundaries. After all, it's him who has to and figure out what it means to be a 16 year old gay guy in 2015.

There ain't no guidebook.

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Yeah, were's the guidebook for coming out as bisexual at 50... (My best friend in my 20's always said she had the manual for me, and that's why men are always so confused, we didn't get the manual...)

I am so glad things worked out for you Isupportmyson. I felt that relief when I finally came out to my therapist. One less burden, one less mask to hold, one less stressor.

Be there for your son, you are doing a great job.

11. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,well what a great mom.

If your son is struggling (as we all do) it might be worth showing him this site.As you can see,we are a safe and friendly community who would offer good advice if we could.If you feel that you would not want your son to see this thread,our staff members would remove it for such reasons.

Well done

12. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Yes, introduce him to the site. Personally, you don't have anything to be ashamed to show your son in this post. You are a caring, decent mom. I feel, the sooner you can correct a deception the less it will hurt. Now may not be the time to tell him, but when he's more comfortable. Up to you to judge, not me. We always tell our boy, the sooner you tell us you are lying, the less harsh the situation is going to be.

I have fears for my son as he's 15 now, just starting through puberty, and getting talkative about girls. I don't want his heart crushed like mine was. I don't want him to be a wallflower. I want him to respect himself and others. These are normal fears, not really fears, concerns. Normal, parental concern when your baby goes out into the world to find a mate, relationships, and all that.

I mean, we adopted our son, and I still feel all that for him. I remember what it was like to be an awkward teenager with secrets to keep, and few social skills.

Be open and honest. You or dad would talk to him about all the different kinds of crazy women can be if he were straight. His sexuality isn't what is causing the issues, it's you wanting to be protective. :thumbsup:

13. BiErik

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off your boy is so lucky to have such a loving mother and father. He is well equipped to handle much of the adversity that he will face on that alone.

If I can give you any advice, let him tell you. Especially if he is in his teens. Just be available when he needs to talk. My friends were my comfort when I came out but my folks are very traditional. The best thing they did for me was tell me they loved me just the same. He'll tell you when he is ready.

The problem with pushing him is that he may not have come out to himself completely.

He would face discrimination if he is tall or short or fat or skinny, or black, white or whatever. Every parent feels for their child and the struggles they will face. Good parents that is. But giving him a supportive loving home is really the best thing for him.

Don't force the butterfly out of his cocoon, it may be painful to watch the struggles but when he flies you'll be proud of him.

14. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been meaning to respond to this, but my week has been crazy. Anyway, I was going to suggest doing exactly what you did. Sometimes it's helpful to just push the issue, gently of course. You seem like a great mother, and I am sure things will work out well for your son :slight_smile: .

15. Isupportmyson

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So here's the update:

A week has gone by and I no longer have that constant knot in my stomach, and it's no longer on my mind every minute of every day. He seems to be doing really well. The two friends that he told are sticking by his side...one or both of them are at our house all the time - this makes me VERY happy.

He has also told his brother, who was surprised, but very supportive as I knew he would be. :slight_smile: it's great that our immediate family are on the same page.

We have given him space and it actually hasn't come up for a few days. He admitted that it's not something that he likes to talk about.

I decided to look into what programs our city has for adolescent/teen LGBT activities or groups. I keep thinking that if he was able to meet other teens in his situation that he wouldn't feel so alone. I haven't told him yet that I did this, I don't want him to feel I am pushing him...but I now have the resources when/if needed.

I really think he is doing ok...he is in grade 11 and his marks are excellent (90's) so I figure that's a good sign - he's a VERY hard worker. At the same time, he seems quite a bit more relaxed.

I feel we've become even closer...I get more hugs and snuggles from him than I have had for awhile - I am very pleased by this as he is my "baby" lol

Thank you everyone for your concern, suggestions and advice - so glad I found this site. I may show it to him in a bit

16. David21201

Hi there
    I was on the other hand of this problem with my mom. She found out on some other sites. My mom approached me on it and it was super awkward and I just wanted to run... but then again i don't have a good relationship with my mom.
    It sounds like you and your son have a good relationship. If you think asking him is a good idea then do it. As for being teased just help him push through it.

17. JC67

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hacing lived the life of a bisexual boy who was not open about it and was severely hazed and ridiculed, I feel for your son. His generation is much more open and accepting ofgays than ours was. Just be approachable and available for him to talk to when he needs you. Just show unconditional love that's all it will take. My parents tried the whole denial thing with my sister and she ended up being quite self destructive.

18. Poster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You sound like a wonderful mother. Lucky kid. I'm sure everything will work out eventually.

19. indiqo

I agree with the idea of mentioning the topic. perhaps focusing on news stories. your son may feel more comfortable considering coming out to you. but these things take time, and I think all that you can do is encourage him but not pressure him.

20. pgc317

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am so happy for your son, and I'm so glad that you decided to bite the bullet and ask him yourself. Like many others have said, I would be elated if my parents (I'm 17, similar to your son) would sit me down, tellme they love me uunconditionally, and ask me straight forward if I am gay. There's one thing that sticks out to me based on what you said that makes me believe you made the right decision. You said you had his Facebook password. He knew you could check it at any time and still chose to tell his friend through Facebook. He could've just as easily texted her. The fact that he chose Facebook knowing full well that you may see it seems like a cry for help. The reason I say this is because I've been trying to drop hints myself, and I have not been as careful when it comes to fully hiding who I am. This is where you and my mom differ, unfortunately.

You were able to pick up these hints and help your son, to comfort him. My hints have only been met with disgust. I, like your son, told my first person by Facebook message. That was our main form of communication to each other after I came out to her. I do believe, based off a conversation eerily similar to one that my friend and I had on Facebook, that my mom knows I'm gay from reading those messages. Instead of being loving and open about as you did in your situation, she has resorted to blatant homophobia (only against gay men; lesbians for some reason get a pass usually). She even has called me a traitor when I let on to her that I'm more politically liberal (she's conservative).

I'm sorry for rambling; this turned out to be longer than I intended. The moral of the story is that you made the right decision, and I applaud you for that! There are many of us still in the closet who would kill for an accepting mother like you :slight_smile: